Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    That's a sobering statistic. Not surprising that we'd see an eventual drought in senior pairs. How many of the junior winners actually competed together at the senior level?
    Of the last eight years, four went on to compete at senior and of those four, none competed more than two years at senior. Purdy/Marinaro may, of course, break that statistic this year.

vCash
    Bell and Sylvester were a clockwise jumping team, IIRC. So it may be hard for her to find a new partner. (Unless Paige retires after this Olympic cycle, and Rudi chooses to continue, possibly.) Are there any other clockwise jumping men who would be possibilities?

vCash
    David Struthers (http://www.icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=4182

He's 25 years old, though. She may be looking for someone who could skate on the JGP circuit.

vCash
    So am I correct that there are only two junior teams left that competed at Canadians? Sheriff-Clayton/Conway and the Young's? Who is moving up from Novice and what new teams have formed?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cant Skate View Post
    So am I correct that there are only two junior teams left that competed at Canadians? Sheriff-Clayton/Conway and the Young's? Who is moving up from Novice and what new teams have formed?
    Unconfirmed, but here's what I've heard:

Mary Orr is now skating with Phelan Simpson. I would assume they will stay junior as both are junior age.
    Wes Killing is skating with Tara Hancherow. No idea what level they'll skate but would guess junior.
    Dobson/Sheldrick have to move up as the Novice champions.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Thanks. Any reliable hearsay news re. Shalena Rau and/or Sebastian Arcieri who are both JGP age-eligible? What about Anthony Furiano, now 22?
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-21-2013 at 01:14 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    The 3rd and 4th place Novice teams from Alberta are moving up to Junior as well.
    Last edited by sk8rmomma; 04-22-2013 at 04:21 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thanks. Any reliable hearsay news re. Shalena Rau and/or Sebastian Arcieri who are both JGP age-eligible? What about Anthony Furiano, now 22?
    I have seen photos of a tryout between Furiano and Zoey Brown, who previously skated with Ian Beharry, and for a short period, though I don't believe they ever competed together, Maxime Deschamps. Maxime was also on IPS I believe but no longer is so perhaps he's found a new partner.

I hope Arcieri finds someone. I felt he was pretty good and still has jr. eligibility.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Sudbury Star article with quotes from Meagan Duhamel about 2013 Worlds heading into the Olympic season, performing on the Stars on Ice tour and more: http://www.thesudburystar.com/2013/0...ne-for-duhamel
    Duhamel and Radford will return home following the tour to start work on choreography for next season, before travelling to Kazakhstan at the end of May to perform in an ice show after being invited by Denis Ten, a Kazakhstani skater who won silver in the men's division, behind Chan, at last month's world championships. It's their first trip to the central Asian country.

"That was part of the reason we told them yes," Duhamel said. "Whenever you get to go somewhere you've never been, it's an incredible opportunity.
    ETA Hamilton Spectator article with more quotes from Duhamel: http://www.thespec.com/sports/articl...ne-in-hamilton
    With her out-front desire to win, and refusal to retreat into skating’s notoriously soft clichés about “hopefully finishing top 10” or being “just happy to be here,” Duhamel has been a zephyr of overt determination in a sport that could profit from a whole bunch more of it.

Skate Canada is trying to instil the same attitude in its younger skaters and it’s having a positive effect, most dramatically among the slew of promising young women beginning to make international impressions.

“I’ve always wondered why skaters don’t just say, ‘I want to win a medal,’” she shrugs. “You know they do.”
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-23-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: To add 2nd article
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    That's very exciting news for D/R and especially that Denis Ten is organizing a show in his country.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post

I hope Arcieri finds someone. I felt he was pretty good and still has jr. eligibility.
    He's a total cutie...and yes talented. But, way too small. He's probably done as a skater which is too bad. Hope I'm wrong, but there's such a dearth of tiny girls and he doesn't even look that big standing next to Natasha. I've stood next to him live. He's probably 5 ft 8 and pretty light.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    Of the last eight years, four went on to compete at senior and of those four, none competed more than two years at senior. Purdy/Marinaro may, of course, break that statistic this year.
    May.
    I give Marinaro heaps of credit. He and Purdy are so close in height it's amazing they learned a 3Tw and he can handle her in lifts especially since he's not super fit or built. One off balance lift and his shoulder will probably rip to shreds. Hate to be the angel of doom here but I'm just waiting for it to happen...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    He's a total cutie...and yes talented. But, way too small. He's probably done as a skater which is too bad. Hope I'm wrong, but there's such a dearth of tiny girls and he doesn't even look that big standing next to Natasha. I've stood next to him live. He's probably 5 ft 8 and pretty light.
    Hmmmm..... maybe a good match then for Ms. Rau? She is super young and super talented, and never will crack 5'. She's really tiny.

vCash
    He'd be an excellent match for her. Their styles would even match pretty well.

vCash
    From what I understand neither Rau or Arcieri are willing/able to move. I also heard she was doing a tryout with Rob Schultz. If they paired up I see them as a young version of MT/M with the same age difference and the same amount of time to set themselves up for 2018 as MT/M had for Sochi. To me it would be a wonderful pairing as long as her jumps come along. Their colouring and lines are very similar and from all I've heard, both are really nice kids.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingluver View Post
    From what I understand neither Rau or Arcieri are willing/able to move.
    My feedback to Arcieri would be "kid, you have potential but limited options as a pairs skater. Now would be the time to decide if you want to be something in skating or simply attend a few more national champs with whomever, finish 9th and then go to University or sell cars. Your call. But if you want it you need to go all in. Pick your sh*t up and go where the action is if there's a great opportunity. It's your move. Rau will have her pick given her size."

vCash
    Has anyone got news about how Purich and Tran are coming along?

vCash
    What happened to Rob Schultz and Christina Yan? It sounded like they were coming along quite nicely... Is Yan still interested in pairs?

As for Rau/Rob Schultz, seems like just another "convenient" Wirtz pairing, but time will tell I suppose.

vCash
    From what I've heard about Schultz/Yan she picked up some pair elements quickly but some key elements weren't coming together at all. Size wise she'd make a good pair girl but from what I've seen of Yan she doesn't have the performance level a pair girl needs. Not too surprised if he has made this rumoured switch.

As far as Rau/Schultz. If it's true I think it's a match with great long term potential. Not sure why blademate feels it would be a "convenient" pairing since Schultz had left the Wirtz camp. I suppose you could also say the Purich/Tran pairing was one of "convenience" since they both trained in the same place. Upthread Rock2 mentions that Arcieri should be willing to move to where the partner is if he wants to continue. I agree with this statement. Often good matches never get together because neither is willing to move. I don't personally think Purich/Tran or the rumoured Rau/Schultz are teams of convenience. I think they are teams well thought out for long term success. Both girls are great pair girls and will remain tiny. Both boys are excellent pair boys who need a smaller girl due to their stature. I think both teams could be very successful. I wish them both all the best

vCash
    I think they are teams well thought out for long term success.
    Rau/Schultz had better be thinking of long-term success, because it can be pretty much guaranteed, that they won't be getting any assignments in the near term. Since Skate Canada only rarely sends skaters to Senior B events, there really will be nothing for them until they become very good.

I don't like the pairing for one specific reason - their respective ages. She is only 14 years old, and could be on the JGP circuit for at least two more seasons if she had a younger partner. Rob Schultz, on the other hand, is 23 years old, I think. Yes, he's a good partner, but I think she's giving up too many other possible opportunities in agreeing to this partnership. Plus, Canada needs good teams on the JGP circuit for next season. This pairing unfortunately can't be one of them.

The Wirtzes routinely have put together very young pair girls with men who are too old for the JGP. I don't think that's good for pair skating in Canada, or for the pair girl herself.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast