Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    From what I've heard, the Wirtzs are also known for showing blatant favouritism for one team over another. It was so bad at one point that it drove one team to make a move to the Gauthier camp. Said team went on to win the Canadian title within two years of the move. And the only reason Sale & Pelletier left Gauthier for Ullmark is because Jamie was having difficulty with her individual jumps.
    Yes, I was told the exact same thing by a friend of that pairs team. That was a decade ago. They actually won the Canadian title the year after the move!

I also agree that it appears the move Sale & Pelletier made from Gauthier to Ullmark was less about a problem with Gauthier and more about the need to get Jamie back to her comfort zone in her home province in the year before the Olympics. Sale also had difficulty learning French in Quebec and so there were several reasons David agreed with her that she'd feel more comfortable back at her home base in Alberta.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniskates93 View Post
    I don't think they're the exception. I'm sure every training base has it's good days and bad days and I honestly don't think skaters of that calibre would stay with a coach if they are unhappy for any period of time, especially when there are so many options for good pair coaches in Canada and the US.
    Exactly. Something about what the Wirtz's are doing is working, since they had 3 of the 7 teams at Senior. 2 teams were from Montreal, 1 team from Strathroy/London, and 1 team from the West. One of the Wirtz teams also went to Junior Worlds. There are choices. If things are really horrible, why would teams stay, never mind thrive? MT/M have a fun, joyful vibe about them. I also think MT looks very healthy and strong, and Jones looks a whole lot better since going back to KW.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    Exactly. Something about what the Wirtz's are doing is working, since they had 3 of the 7 teams at Senior. 2 teams were from Montreal, 1 team from Strathroy/London, and 1 team from the West. One of the Wirtz teams also went to Junior Worlds. There are choices. If things are really horrible, why would teams stay, never mind thrive? MT/M have a fun, joyful vibe about them. I also think MT looks very healthy and strong, and Jones looks a whole lot better since going back to KW.
    I think certain skaters respond to certain types of coaches and the key is finding a good fit.. as it would appear that many teams strive at KW and many teams strive at other places. I think it must be hard for coaches to have to change their personality so would think it would be key for parents to look closely at not just the facilities and coaching but the personalities. Some of the kids I have worked with don't respond very well to strict coaching regiments yet others thrive in that environment. Not an easy task for parents I'm sure..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    Things often look better from the outside. There have been a few promising teams split and good skaters depart from the Wirtz camp too. Some have left the sport altogether. Good skaters don't do that for no reason. I can't imagine that Jones was too happy about being beat by Rau this year. I'm not sure that demonstrates her thriving. To the contrary, it seems she's being passed by.

MT/M haven't been able to recapture the title since winning it the year Dube/Davison were injured so I'd say Gauthier is doing something right. He's had more high level success than any pairs coach in Canada the last few years, between Duhamel/Radford and Takahashi/Tran. I like the looks of Grenier/Deschamps too. Aren't they from the same school?

As for choices, sometimes in the pairs world those are very limited. It's already an expensive sport so sometimes relocation is prohibitive. Sometimes having a partner dictates where you skate. And sometimes people look past things they shouldn't in the quest for success.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    I like the looks of Grenier/Deschamps too. Aren't they from the same school?
    Yes, they are coached by Gauthier and Bruno Marcotte. An article and an interview after they won the 2014 Junior title:

http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx

http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2014...enier-and.html

ETA that I've posted a Grenier/Deschamps update in the 2014/15 Canadian Pairs news thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...24#post4245424
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-23-2014 at 01:47 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    MT/M haven't been able to recapture the title since winning it the year Dube/Davison were injured so I'd say Gauthier is doing something right. He's had more high level success than any pairs coach in Canada the last few years, between Duhamel/Radford and Takahashi/Tran.
    And before the success of Duhamel/Radford, Gauthier helped Marcoux & Buntin become Canadian champions several times, as well as coaching other fairly successful pairs like Duhamel & Buntin and Wakamatsu & Fecteau. And of course most famously, Gauthier was the coach who helped Sale & Pelletier break out to become the top pair in the World (even though they spent their final season with Ullmark).

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Grenier/Deschamps are my new favourite team - I LOVED them at Canadians and she was actually one of my junior fav's such a little power house! I love athletic style pairs with lots of speed - does anyone (Sylvia) know if they will qualify for any senior grand prix spots at all?
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    4rkidz, I've copied your above post and replied in the 2014/15 Canadian Pairs news thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4246110

Renata Wong (age 14) & Henry Su (age 20) withdrew from the Novice Pairs event at 2014 Canadians - re-posting this article titled "Simcoe figure skater Henry Su moves on": http://www.simcoereformer.ca/2014/04...ry-su-moves-on
    Su graduates this spring from the communications program at the University of Toronto. As often happens with post-secondary graduates, the demands of adulthood quickly crowd out the whims of youth.

“I now have to get a job in the real world,” he said. “You can only hang around arenas for so long.”
    Wong also studies dance and drama. She says she learned a lot in terms of confidence and sound decision-making in the two years she worked with Su. Wong says it’s been a good run, adding she’s “sad” to see Su move on. Coaches and handlers are scouting around for a suitable replacement.

“I hope to find one,” Wong said. “I hope to continue doing pairs.”
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I didn't see this April 2nd Sudbury Star article posted in this thread: Duhamel far from ready to hang up skates
    “... we're off to tour with Stars On Ice across Canada until mid May. Then when we when get back, we're going to start choreography at the end of the May for next season.”

That's right, Duhamel and Radford will continue to skate together, but with a new attitude.

“We'll be back competing,” she said. “We're going season by season now. We'll do next year and see how it goes and I think we have no more results that we feel we need. We have won three national titles, three world medals and feel very settled. We achieved goals we set and we'll take next year to skate for ourselves and do it our way and not worry about results and expectations or anyone's opinion. We're kind of sick of worrying about whatever everybody else wants and we're going to do what we want next season.”

That new approach was formed after the Olympics.

“We took that attitude to worlds,” she said. “We don't care about beating anyone and what anyone thinks, and we we had two personal best skates. The judges will do what they do and we can't control that, so there's no reason wasting time thinking about it.”

The new approach has been a revelation.

“It is extremely freeing,” Duhamel said. “We felt it at the worlds, and people commented there was a lightness to our skating. We had less stress and fear, and we want to bring that to our skating next year, just be more relaxed. We don't need to win anything else to satisfy ourselves and any results we attain will be a bonus.”

Duhamel enjoys skating as much as ever.

“I'm extremely passionate still,” she said. “I think we can be better and we have small personal goals with skating and I think as long as we feel we can improve, we will skate.”

She's not ruling out another Olympics either.

“Maybe we'll still be skating in four years, we're not ruling it out,” she said. “As long as we're enjoying it, skating is not a sacrifice for us. We love going to the rink and it's our career and we make a living doing it and we see no reason to stop. We're not in a hurry to go do something else.”
    (This is more of an end-of-season article so I decided to post it here rather than the new 2014/15 thread.)

vCash
    I love Duhamel. She is my kind of crazy. Looking forward to seeing her and Eric in Kelowna!

vCash
    Things often look better from the outside. There have been a few promising teams split and good skaters depart from the Wirtz camp too. Some have left the sport altogether. Good skaters don't do that for no reason. I can't imagine that Jones was too happy about being beat by Rau this year. I'm not sure that demonstrates her thriving. To the contrary, it seems she's being passed by.

MT/M haven't been able to recapture the title since winning it the year Dube/Davison were injured so I'd say Gauthier is doing something right. He's had more high level success than any pairs coach in Canada the last few years, between Duhamel/Radford and Takahashi/Tran. I like the looks of Grenier/Deschamps too. Aren't they from the same school?

As for choices, sometimes in the pairs world those are very limited. It's already an expensive sport so sometimes relocation is prohibitive. Sometimes having a partner dictates where you skate. And sometimes people look past things they shouldn't in the quest for success.
    I don't think any rink is perfect. People leave the sport for all sorts of reasons, and teams split up for all sorts of reasons. MT/M have been awfully close to winning back a Canadian title, and they've beat D/R a couple of times internationally. They have room to improve, but so do D/R. I don't think Jones should be disappointed at their Nationals finish. It's amazing they were able to get something together so quickly to even skate so respectably. Did they not start skating together until the Fall? And she looked much healthier (read less thin and more fit) than before and with improved posture. If KW is the most expensive place to skate in Ontario, you'd think the choice to leave wouldn't be difficult. Certainly, in today's more enlightened world, if untoward things were going on, I don't imagine parents would put up with it.

This doesn't undermine what Gauthier is doing. He clearly also has a strong rink with known success. I think it's more like 4rkidz said. It's different strokes for different folks. And we are very fortunate in Canada to have 2 such strong rinks. I wish we had more. I'm looking forward to seeing what Langois/Hay are going to do out West. Like Wing/Lowe in dance, they are expanding the choices.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I love Duhamel. She is my kind of crazy. Looking forward to seeing her and Eric in Kelowna!
    She comes across as someone who knows what she wants. Happy that D&R are not hanging up their skates soon. I love their short program.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookin in View Post
    For all of those hoping for a Purdy and Marinaro split, it's not going to happen. He has told a number of fellow skaters that he plans on staying with Margaret until 2018.
    I just heard that they are done.

vCash
    Well if its true, I wish I could say I didn't see it coming Too bad though... This should probably be in the new Canadian Pairs 2014/2015 thread.

vCash
    I guess Purdy is too tall for Tran, too? IIRC, he's shorter than Marinaro.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by million$momma View Post
    But with Purich & Tran splitting, and Lawrence & Swiegers possibly considering retirement, why would Purdy & Marinaro split now? They have a chance at the Canadian podium next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I guess Purdy is too tall for Tran, too? IIRC, he's shorter than Marinaro.
    But was height the main issue for P&M, or was it a personality conflict that arose?

To answer the height question, I clicked on their ISU bios:

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012162.htm

Margaret P. is about 5' 5½" and Michael M. is about 5'11.

Mervin Tran is about 5'9, so yes he is definitely shorter than Michael Marinaro.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054367.htm

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    I just watched P&M's Skate Canada LP (or was it SA - can't remember. Just catching up on the whole season). Anyway I was quite afraid for them during the lifts - she is way to big/tall for him now. It reminded me of when Dylan was still skating with his sister. And I suspect Marinaro doesn't have Dylan's strength which is legendary (or even perhaps Dylan's very very excellent blade work that keeps the lifts stable).
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookin in View Post
    For all of those hoping for a Purdy and Marinaro split, it's not going to happen. He has told a number of fellow skaters that he plans on staying with Margaret until 2018.
    I wonder what happened over the past month to change this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by million$momma View Post
    nm
    Last edited by professordeb; 04-26-2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: question being asked in the new thread.
    Crazy about sports!

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast