Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    From recent events I think Tran needs a partner who is at a senior level. He seemed to be frustrated by Natasha, who was very advanced as a junior. I doubt if he would want to put in four years of training with someone who might not progess enough.
    The problem is that there's no one in Canada right now who is even close to his level. He could find an international partner and hope she gets citizenship in time but his height really limits his options.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    He might have had a better chance at landing a Canadian partner and/or being competitive in Ottawa if he hadn't sat out a season waiting for Takahashi to recover, only to tell him she was dumping him to compete with a Japanese partner.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    IIRC he is studying engineering at McGill. He already has a world medal. Guess he'll have to decide how much an Oly experience means to him, because if he really wants to go for it, looks like he'll have to take a chance on a junior or an international partner, and the outcome will be uncertain.

ETA: I asked before about Andrea Poapst. Anybody know if she's still skating? She was quite elegant, had triples, and might match him well. She's Canadian.
    Last edited by flowerpower; 04-15-2014 at 08:55 PM.

vCash
    To me, Natasha Purich seemed like quite an assertive, fiery person. I saw the fire in her eyes while she was warming up at Nationals (I watched it live) and at one point, she made eye contact with some people in the crowd and started slapping her knee in kind of a "let's get fired up" gesture. Not that this is bad at all, but maybe a fiery attitude isn't compatible with Tran's. I'm not sure what he's really like, besides him making some funny observations on Twitter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    He might have had a better chance at landing a Canadian partner and/or being competitive in Ottawa if he hadn't sat out a season waiting for Takahashi to recover, only to tell him she was dumping him to compete with a Japanese partner.
    I had forgotten that he sat out a season before being dumped.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    To me, Natasha Purich seemed like quite an assertive, fiery person. I saw the fire in her eyes while she was warming up at Nationals (I watched it live).
    It was Natasha's spitfire personality that I thought would be an asset as she tried to jump into such a demanding role. A wimpy girl would have been overwhelmed. Well, I did tell them in person that I was happy with their partnership, so if they decided to ignore me.........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    I had forgotten that he sat out a season before being dumped.
    Sounds like the Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates situation a few years ago.

She waited for him to get back on the ice, and then he dropped her for Madison Chock.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    Sounds like the Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates situation a few years ago.
    Every team split has its own issues to which we outsiders are not privy.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    True. I was saying that myself on another thread recently. It's hard to know the complete reasons for a split since we usually never hear about them. There are often mutual issues, even if one person seems to get blamed publicly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    ETA: I asked before about Andrea Poapst. Anybody know if she's still skating? She was quite elegant, had triples, and might match him well. She's Canadian.
    I remember reading on here that she tried out with Tran last time but was sent home really quickly? I don't know if it's true or just rumours.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    As long as I know it is not Narumi who should be blamed. After winning Worlds medal JFS said that they would do their best to get Mervin's citizenship. I thought it was almost impossible to get his Japanese citizenship since nothing about him matched the criteria. But I thought there was a slight chance since they said they would seek for the way to open the path to some special treatment for him who won Worlds medal, and the president of JSF is Seiko Hashimoto who is a Diet member so I thought she might have some influence. It took months to be known that he will never get it. So I think it's JSF to be blamed but not Narumi if someone should be blamed for the delay. (Narumi injured in April. JSF announced they'll seek for special treatment for Mervin in the end of April. Their split was announced in December.)

And this is my guess that JSF put big pressure on Narumi to match a Japanese partner to make it possible for Team Japan to participate in Team Events in Olys, since JFS is the one who proposed the original idea of creating Team Events in Olys according to Junko Hiramatsu's interview(Junko said so but I can't confirm it is true or not. Anyway JSF was very eager to participate in TE in Sochi.).

vCash
    I'll never forget her skating to "Swan Lake" a few years ago with Chris Knierim at US Nationals. They skated right after Gretchen Donlan & Andrew Speroff, whom themselves skated exquisitely to "Sleeping Beauty", and I honestly fell in love with both teams respective skating (btw I was already a fan of D&S, but at that moment just became a fan of Poapst & Knierim as well). Lol they even impressed commentator Peter Carruthers on IN, whom was waxing poetic about how fortunate the US was to have two such classical pair teams skate one after another. I honestly couldn't pick between them, and neither could the judges, as Donlan & Speroff just barely surpassed Poapst & Knierim in the FS (they virtually tied). Thus I was devastated the following season to find out they had split, as Andrea went back to Canada to represent her country. ***note: and the following season the USA got the equally FABULOUS pairing of Scimeca & Knierim; the rest is history.***

But I've been wondering what Andrea's been up to since then? She's honestly too beautiful of a classical skater to retire or not skate. She's Canada's version of the USA's Gretchen Donlan imho (both tiny petite ballerinas on ice).

Quote Originally Posted by Zazy View Post
    I remember reading on here that she tried out with Tran last time but was sent home really quickly? I don't know if it's true or just rumours.
    That's a shame because as I said before she's an exceptionally gifted classical skater, and is tiny & petite to boot, which Mervin Tran needs, standing only 5'9" himself...

PS: I wonder if he wouldn't mind trying out with the USA's under 5-feet tall group: Gretchen Donlan (4'11"), Lindsay Davis (4'11"), Mary Beth Marley (4'10"). Of course I'd only want a pairing if they represent the USA.

vCash
    Thanks for the information!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Rightly so! These are peoples personal lives and although we fans are curious, it really is non of our business.

I think Merv and Gretchen would make a very beautiful pair. Their lines would be lovely. The big issue would be that NEITHER one of them are very good jumpers. She misses more than not and Merv misses about 50% of his jumps in competition so I would worry about that. Everything else would be beautiful IMO.

vCash
    I agree Merv and Gretchen might be an interesting matchup. I think he & Mary Beth might be very interesting too. Mary Beth is a stronger jumper than Gretchen. At the time we last saw her competing, her artistry was not at Mervin's level. However, now she is more mature, and that may have changed. If he can't find a partner on the Canadian side, I'd love to see him try out with one of our American girls. If only the citizenship issues weren't so complicated. :-(

vCash
    Is Andrea Poapst still skating? She's a Canadian, though she's been in the States for a while now. Skated pairs with Chris Knierim. She's quite an elegant skater IIRC.
    I Googled her name and she is a student at the University of Miami's School of Business and also coaching at a rink in the area. She has removed her IPS bio.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-16-2014 at 04:51 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    That's a shame because as I said before she's an exceptionally gifted classical skater, and is tiny & petite to boot, which Mervin Tran needs, standing only 5'9" himself...
    5'9'' is not tall, but there have been male pairs skaters who are that height or shorter. Rockne Brubaker is only around 5'9'' or 5'8'', and I think Kris Wirtz was only around 5'7'' or 5'8''.

There are probably a few other examples that will come to mind later.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    5'9'' is not tall, but there have been male pairs skaters who are that height or shorter. Rockne Brubaker is only around 5'9'' or 5'8'', and I think Kris Wirtz was only around 5'7'' or 5'8''.

There are probably a few other examples that will come to mind later.
    It's a different era now than when Wirtz competed though. The envelope for triple twists and throws is being pushed towards quads and smaller boys aren't going to have the power to get the job done. And it should be noted a shoulder injury ended Wirtz's career after his wife worked her butt off to get back in competitive shape after their first baby together was born. I think the stresses of pairs are difficult for smaller men.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    It's a different era now than when Wirtz competed though. The envelope for triple twists and throws is being pushed towards quads and smaller boys aren't going to have the power to get the job done. And it should be noted a shoulder injury ended Wirtz's career after his wife worked her butt off to get back in competitive shape after their first baby together was born. I think the stresses of pairs are difficult for smaller men.
    It's definitely harder for a smaller guy to do lifts, unless the girl is really small. The Wirtzes were close in height and so their lifts weren't their strongest element.

And in the reverse case, if you are a tall girl, you will have trouble finding a guy to skate with. Luckily for Valerie Saurette who was 5'5, she was able to skate with Fecteau who was over 6 feet. I think Margaret Purdy is about 5'5, and some people have said she is too tall for Marinaro who is about 5'10, but they seem compatible overall and want to stay together.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookin in View Post
    Actually, I think Purich and Schultz would look great together. Body type, colour, jumps.... But he needs to go to Montreal.
    Physically they would look fabulous together.. great match! Maybe she could move to KW ?
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast