Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    When I saw Paige & Rudi interviewed on CBC by Scott Russell in Japan last week they didn't confirm definitely one way or another what they were doing. Didn't say they were continuing or retiring. Perhaps they need some time in the off-season to asses her injury and determine the best option for them.
    The only reason I know is because ... Like I said when I was told this it was shortly after Sochi when I was told so it may have changed. I'd rather not disclose how I know just to protect me

vCash
    What about Wesley Killing and Devon Stock? Any news about tryouts or new partners for them?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Whee, two redheads! I liked Shultz a lot at Nationals this year. I'm glad he's teaming up with Purich.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Funny that Purich already skated with Raymond Schultz (they aren't related). Two different partners with the same last name.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Whee, two redheads! I liked Shultz a lot at Nationals this year. I'm glad he's teaming up with Purich.
    Rob's a good guy. I hope she doesn't burn him out like she seemed to do with Tran. I really felt like he looked like he wanted to be anywhere else but on the ice at their last competition together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    Rob's a good guy. I hope she doesn't burn him out like she seemed to do with Tran. I really felt like he looked like he wanted to be anywhere else but on the ice at their last competition together.
    If they were unhappy together, I guess that partially explains why they had lackluster results at 4 Continents. They barely finished ahead of Purdy & Marinaro.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Tran was very obviously unhappy when he and Purich didn't make the Olympic team. I don't think they necessarily would have had great results at 4C's if they were still planning to be together. I don't think he could get past it so soon.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Any news yet on Tran? Tryouts, rumors, etc?

vCash
    Tran was very obviously unhappy when he and Purich didn't make the Olympic team. I don't think they necessarily would have had great results at 4C's if they were still planning to be together. I don't think he could get past it so soon.
    Expecting to make the Olympic team in your very first season together is a little ambitious - it doesn't happen very often. Particularly when you are competing for the 3rd pairs spot with a long-established team that has been on the podium for the past several years. They gave Lawrence & Sweigers a close run in the SP, but they needed to be perfect in the LP to steal that 3rd spot, and the big mistakes put that out of reach.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    Expecting to make the Olympic team in your very first season together is a little ambitious - it doesn't happen very often. Particularly when you are competing for the 3rd pairs spot with a long-established team that has been on the podium for the past several years. They gave Lawrence & Sweigers a close run in the SP, but they needed to be perfect in the LP to steal that 3rd spot, and the big mistakes put that out of reach.
    It certainly was ambitious, but given Lawrence's injury and difficulty with landing jumps, throws, and performing a clean 3Tw earlier in the season due to her injury -- they lost 9 points to falls in six programs as at USIFSC, Skate Canada, and NHK -- it was not outrageous for him, as a former World medalist, to expect to have a reasonable chance to at least place third, especially if Lawrence skated injured and like earlier in the season, and only being behind Purich/Tran by 1.63 points after the SP *despite neither of them going clean*.

I would have expected a bigger gap between a multiple-time podium winner and an inexperienced and unequal new team in both programs. Whether it was intended, it seemed like a good way to hedge their bets not to bury Purich/Tran, because with her injury, they might have had to enlist their alternates.

vCash
    Whether it was intended, it seemed like a good way to hedge their bets not to bury Purich/Tran, because with her injury, they might have had to enlist their alternates.
    Yes, that type of placement certainly comes to mind in a variety of events. The judges/federations probably like to have options as a backup just in case there needs to be a change of plan so whoever finishes 4th is on hand if it turns out that you need them.

Sometimes the placement may also just be the correct one that the skater/team deserves and not just a hedging of bets. Hopefully skaters finish in the spots they deserve to finish in, but if it also ends up being beneficial to the federation/country in question, that's a bonus. Purich/Tran were not given a podium position, but they still finish pretty high for such a new team and were sent to 4 Continents. And as you said, they could have been sent to Sochi if Paige's injury flared up badly again at the last moment.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Purich/Tran were very clearly superior to the three teams below them, Purdy/Marinaro, who had a rough Nationals, Rau/Schultz, and Jones/Reagan. I don't think there was anything suspect about placement. I was just surprised at how close the scores were in the SP, given that neither team was clean. Often a contender is dropped when less than clean, but they weren't given L/S a cushion going into the long. That's one of the things that made it so impressive when Lawrence landed that 3 Throw Lz at the end of the program. It was pretty much do or die, because if she fell like she did earlier in the season, and the judges dropped PCS for L/S, it would have been a squeaker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniskates93 View Post
    Trennt Michaud (medaled in novice with Judith Murtha-Anderson in 2013) has paired up with Hope McLean and they're training with Mike and Margaret/ Scott & Ali at the London Competitive Skating Centre (formerly the Competitive Skating Centre of Strathroy).
    Thanks for the info! I was hoping Michaud was still skating pairs. He showed some promise with Murtha-Anderson. Are they in juniors or novice?

Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    I've also heard that Rob Schultz will be skating with Natasha Purich and that they are likely to train in Montreal. No confirmation of that rumour though.
    This could be a good pairing, both personality wise and skills wise. Trying to remember, did Schultz train in Montreal previously?
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post

This could be a good pairing, both personality wise and skills wise. Trying to remember, did Schultz train in Montreal previously?
    He did but for singles I think.

vCash
    Purich/Tran were very clearly superior to the three teams below them, Purdy/Marinaro, who had a rough Nationals, Rau/Schultz, and Jones/Reagan. I don't think there was anything suspect about placement. I was just surprised at how close the scores were in the SP, given that neither team was clean. Often a contender is dropped when less than clean, but they weren't given L/S a cushion going into the long. That's one of the things that made it so impressive when Lawrence landed that 3 Throw Lz at the end of the program. It was pretty much do or die, because if she fell like she did earlier in the season, and the judges dropped PCS for L/S, it would have been a squeaker.
    Yes, the close scores between Pairs 3&4 after the SP did create a little bit of tension and drama in the LP. It didn't get as much media attention as the battle that went on in Dance for the 3rd spot, but there was some pressure felt. After Paige had a big mistake in the LP, I could see from where I was sitting in the audience that she was crying afterwards by the time she and Rudi got to the K&C because she wondered if it had cost them the ticket to Sochi. It wasn't until after the LP scores came up and they realized that they had made it that Paige was able to cheer up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Thanks for the info! I was hoping Michaud was still skating pairs. He showed some promise with Murtha-Anderson. Are they in juniors or novice?
    I'm going to GUESS novice, but I don't know for sure. Hope has never done pairs so it might be good for her to have a year in Novice before moving up to junior.

vCash
    So the senior teams in Canada for 2014/2015 should be:

Duhamel & Radford
    Moore-Towers & Moscovitch
    Lawrence & Swiegers????????
    Purdy & Marinaro
    Jones & Reagan

New teams:

Rau & Arcieri
    Purich & Schultz

Moving on up from Juniors:

Grenier & Deschamps
    Seguin & Biliodeau

vCash
    I was sorry I wasn't able to stay and watch the Juniors at Canadians as I really wanted to see Grenier and Deschamps. They looked so good from what I saw of them at Challenge.
    pug lover

vCash
    Grenier / Tran. Discuss.

vCash
    From recent events I think Tran needs a partner who is at a senior level. He seemed to be frustrated by Natasha, who was very advanced as a junior. I doubt if he would want to put in four years of training with someone who might not progess enough.

This is just my take on the Purich/Tran match, which I thought was ideal. Perhaps it was a personality clash, I don't know. They had trained at the same club so should have known each other's foibles beforehand.

Merv is totally invested in having the Olympic experience and I think he will want to go with a sure thing. I do sympathize with his position, once being a bronze medalist and now unable to find a partner so he can get back into international competition. Such a waste of talent. It is really too bad he spent those years in Japan when it was always clear that he would not be able to get citizenship so he could compete in the Big O. He gained a lot of skill and experience, but lost out on possible Canadian partners.

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast