Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

vCash
    I didn't get the impression that Eric was not sure about continuing at all. I think he was just joking around. But I am crossing everything that Mervin gets himself another great partner. He is one of my favourite male pairs skaters right now, I'd hate to see him go.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    I still want Eric R to switch to dance when he's done with pairs.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    Ix-nay. A total mismatch. Tran is one of the most fluid, smooth pairs guys out there . . . Duhamel has her skills, but they are on the athletic side. They wouldn't be a match in basic skating skills/ability.
    The same could be said about Radford and Duhamel/Radford.

MT/M have said that they plan to stay for 2018.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The same could be said about Radford and Duhamel/Radford.
    I agree . . . which is why I just can't get behind D/R as a team. I think the difference would be even more glaring w/Tran.

vCash
    Any word about plans for Paige and Rudi?
    And, so sad to hear about P/M as much as I love them both individually. I'd be shocked if they ever make it to worlds.

vCash
    Any word about plans for Paige and Rudi?
    And, so sad to hear about P/M as much as I love them both individually. I'd be shocked if they ever make it to worlds.

vCash
    Paige & Rudi didn't give Scott Russell a definitive answer on CBC after they skated. Perhaps they want to assess how her injury is doing in the off-season and determine their future plans before making any commitments for another cycle.

vCash
    Just had a look at IPS, and Shalena Rau is listed?? She's an awfully talented young lady, perfectly built for pairs, who has a few years left of Junior eligibility. Even though she skated Senior this year. I guess I can understand this break-up on one hand, since she's awfully young, and he is quite a bit older than her. But they did seem really well suited to one another, and had a really good free program. Hmmm...... That's now only 6 teams left at Senior?? And there were hardly enough teams to send to Junior Worlds? Where are all the young men? This young lady is very tiny. and doesn't even need a tall partner. If Rudi and Paige retire, are we left with only 5 Senior teams? No wonder both MT/M and D/R are sticking around! I'm sure Skate Canada would put in some pressure to keep these teams around until some "replacements" can be brought up to speed.

vCash
    Grenier and Deschamps will be skating senior this year, and already had senior-ready elements and programs in their first year together (skating as juniors, but both above junior age) last season.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    That's excellent news!
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I just hope that SC gets them to an international ASAP so that they have the opportunity to show their stuff (and can get other assignments).

vCash
    Purdy/Marinaro skated tonight at the Competitive Skating Centre of Strathroy Carnival in Komoka Arena, ON.

Duhamel/Radford, Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, and Lawrence/Swiegers all have a busy club carnival/show schedule coming up the next several weeks: http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/athl...pearances.aspx
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Duhamel/Radford, Lawrence/Swiegers, and Moore-Towers/Moscovitch are all guaranteed two GPs from their results at Worlds; I assume D/R will be invited to SC, like last year. L/S and Purdy/Marinaro were the other two host picks this season. L/S haven't committed to skating next season. Either way, she needs to heal her leg, and two later GP's might be better for her.

Purdy/Marinaro will be guaranteed one from the Top 24 WS. (They were Top 24 SB last season, but this season are SB 37. The will have next year's GP minimum, if the formula remains the same.) Tran doesn't have a new partner yet, and if he's continuing, might not be ready for Skate Canada. He doesn't get to use his results with Takahashi to get "Split Couple" status.

It's not like Skate Canada has a ton of Pairs from which to select for SC. I hope they give G/D a shot at it, and either USIFSC or one of the early Fall Senior B's as a warm-up.

vCash
    2014 Canadian Junior silver medalists Julianne Séguin/Charlie Bilodeau withdrew from Junior Worlds - are they still together and preparing for next season? He is 20 and could still be ISU Junior age-eligible next season if the maximum age rule stays the same as it is now.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Hope Tran will find a good partner and slip into the third place before the next Olys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    Just had a look at IPS, and Shalena Rau is listed?? She's an awfully talented young lady, perfectly built for pairs, who has a few years left of Junior eligibility. Even though she skated Senior this year. I guess I can understand this break-up on one hand, since she's awfully young, and he is quite a bit older than her. But they did seem really well suited to one another, and had a really good free program. Hmmm...... That's now only 6 teams left at Senior?? And there were hardly enough teams to send to Junior Worlds? Where are all the young men? This young lady is very tiny. and doesn't even need a tall partner. If Rudi and Paige retire, are we left with only 5 Senior teams? No wonder both MT/M and D/R are sticking around! I'm sure Skate Canada would put in some pressure to keep these teams around until some "replacements" can be brought up to speed.
    I really liked the look of Rau/Schultz and thought they were coming together nicely as a team. Having said that, I'm actually not surprised to see this since the girl simply cannot jump. She only fully rotated ONE 2 axel all season. Looking back all the others were << or <. She attempted a 3 sal at their sectionals but the report card show <3 -3 so not a good attempt there either. If you look at the top pair girls in our country Duhamel, MT and in Jr Grenier and Sequin, they all had their triples mastered well before they were Raus age. Sadly although she has many other talents and is the right size for pairs, unless she is a really late bloomer with her jumps, there isn't a real future for her. I don't see her getting her jumps while at the Wirtz camp either, so unless some talented boy can get her to move I don't think her other great qualities will carry her to the top.
    You asked where are all the young men? I'd say where are all the young ladies? Sad that this country has so few young ladies with triple jumps who are of pair size. The numbers keep dwindling You've got some really great boys out there, Tran & Schultz. Maybe Schultz/Purich could match up. Tran, I think he will have to look outside the country. How sad is that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kalamalka View Post
    Grenier and Deschamps will be skating senior this year, and already had senior-ready elements and programs in their first year together (skating as juniors, but both above junior age) last season.
    Happy to hear this! They would have had to move up to senior domestically anyway since they won the junior pair event, so it makes sense for them to do this internationally too. More opportunities to compete. And they are definitely ready in terms of their elements. They may do quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by laceup View Post
    I really liked the look of Rau/Schultz and thought they were coming together nicely as a team. Having said that, I'm actually not surprised to see this since the girl simply cannot jump.
    ITA. Rau may be tiny, but she's already 15 years old. I can't see her ever getting a triple jump. Dylan Conway is another one whose jumps don't seem to be progressing. Her partner Dylan Sherriff-Clayton is actually a really nice pair skater, but at only 5'6" his options for partners are quite limited. I'd love to see him try skating with Purich, but he seems quite attached to Conway.

Can someone provide me with a link to the Scott Russell interview with L/S? There's only one archived on the CBC website, and he doesn't ask them about their future plans.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    I just don't see anyone really putting in the time to teach the jumps. Pair coaches seem to only focus on the pair elements rather than taking the time to master the jumps and make them more consistent. Most of the skaters who are maintaining their jumps are the ones who have already had a fairly successful singles career in previous years. Success doesn't come over night either as much as people strive for it.

vCash
    Actually, I think Purich and Schultz would look great together. Body type, colour, jumps.... But he needs to go to Montreal.

vCash
    I'd put Rau and Arcieri together. Keep them jr. I'd put Purich and Schultz together. The first team would do well on the jgp circuit. The second team would do well with a sr B to start. That leaves Tran out. Is he even wanting to continue? Can't think of a girl in Cda suitable for him.

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast