Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

vCash
    I would dearly love to see Michael M with someone who is shorter. Considering how well he has lifted/thrown Margaret over the past few seasons regardless of the lack of height difference, it would seem he definitely has the pipes to get the 3Tw to work with a shorter partner. Of course, the fact he's from my home town makes his a sentimental favourite to keep around.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine M View Post
    One more thing, we should get together a group from FSU and start up a pair matching service to improve the numbers of Canadian teams. I think a few posters in this thread could be an asset to the service! Erin, I nominate you since you picked out both Meagan Duhamel and Vanessa Grenier out of junior ladies.
    Now that sounds like a challenge! Harder to do this year as I haven't seen as many of the junior or senior ladies this year since I didn't make it to either challenge or Canadians. Someone had suggested Veronik Mallet last year, which I thought was a good idea but her singles career picked up quite a bit this year plus it might be getting a bit late for her to start pairs. Although she is younger than Grenier who just made the switch this year. Aside from that, most of the senior ladies are too tall for pairs (e.g. Austman, McNeil, Cournoyer, Rheault), already doing pairs (Seguin) or are doing really well with singles and probably don't want to make a switch (Chartrand, Daleman). I'm only familiar with a handful of the junior ladies - perhaps Delaurier or Martin could do pairs, as I think both of them are fairly small?

(I should note that I thought that Purich & Tran would be great together so I don't always have the greatest track record.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    Maybe Tran will skate with Savchenko ? I heard she wants to skate for the next olympics?
    Yeah, that would be an explanation as to why he would break up with Purich when they were doing reasonably well (I'm assuming he might have ended it because of the bitter comments on Purich's Facebook that another poster referenced above), but what country would they skate for?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yeah, that would be an explanation as to why he would break up with Purich when they were doing reasonably well (I'm assuming he might have ended it because of the bitter comments on Purich's Facebook that another poster referenced above), but what country would they skate for?
    azerbaijan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    They'd do well in either Germany or Canada but I'm not sure I'd put money on this pairing happening. It would be interesting though.

I never really liked the Purich/Tran pairing - and I suspect it must have been very hard for Tran to go from being a World Bronze medalist to the results his new team was getting. IMO Purich still looked quite junior next to him but then I've not been her biggest fan, while I did really enjoy Takahashi with Tran. I still feel it's really a shame that there can't be some way that pairs and dance teams can have each partner represent their own country. We'd see some amazing partnerships then I bet!

vCash
    I feel like Purich has strong potential as a pair girl. If she and Tran have in fact split...that would be what, 2 partnerships in a row that have only lasted one season? What a shame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by La La Candy View Post
    I feel like Purich has strong potential as a pair girl. If she and Tran have in fact split...that would be what, 2 partnerships in a row that have only lasted one season? What a shame.
    Three. Ray Schultz, Seb Arcieri and now Tran.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    Three. Ray Schultz, Seb Arcieri and now Tran.
    Purich was with Schultz for 2 seasons, no? One junior and one senior. I wonder if she and Arcieri would ever consider skating together again? TBH, I much preferred their pairing to her partnership with Tran.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Purich was with Schultz for 2 seasons, no? One junior and one senior. I wonder if she and Arcieri would ever consider skating together again? TBH, I much preferred their pairing to her partnership with Tran.
    Sorry, I missed the "one season" part of La La Candy's post. Purich has been through a few partners, despite the fact that she's quite small and seems to have her elements. It makes me wonder what the issues were. That being said, at this point she's probably the best choice for any of the Canadian boys looking and so will likely have her pick.

vCash
    For all of those hoping for a Purdy and Marinaro split, it's not going to happen. He has told a number of fellow skaters that he plans on staying with Margaret until 2018.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookin in View Post
    For all of those hoping for a Purdy and Marinaro split, it's not going to happen. He has told a number of fellow skaters that he plans on staying with Margaret until 2018.
    I too have heard that he has said that when they retire, it will be together.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    I would love to see Tran skate wih Brooklee Han. I think she has the goods to be a pair skater. She is from Australia so the move should be easy - I think she currently trains in the US.
    Han grew up and lives in the US.

US Men's skater Alexander Johnson tweeted:

I love watching @Kirsten_MT and @DylanMoscovitch skate. Pure edges, beautiful lines, they know what this sport is about!

The man has good taste!
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    Sorry, I missed the "one season" part of La La Candy's post. Purich has been through a few partners, despite the fact that she's quite small and seems to have her elements. It makes me wonder what the issues were. That being said, at this point she's probably the best choice for any of the Canadian boys looking and so will likely have her pick.
    My thoughts exactly. It seems odd that in 4 seasons of skating pairs she has had 3 partners...and all 3 partnerships would be considered by most to be successful/have a future, based on results. I hope whatever the issues, Purich finds her right match. She has the talent in my opinion.

vCash
    I'm happy to read this. I know with her height they have some technical issues at times but I do really like them together. They are a lovely team

Purich leaving Ray Schultz was a smart move. It was clear after a very short time that she would surpass him even though he was the one with pair experience. Leaving Archieri was also a smart move since she left him for Tran. So this break up with Tran is really the only one that concerns me. I think his goal was Sochi and when that didn't happen I'm not surprised they broke up. They didn't have a good look together anyway IMO

vCash
    No congratulations yet for great performances of the Canadian pair teams at worlds? OK, I'll do it. They all skated well (D/R and M-T/M really well), and it sounds from interviews as if both D/R and M-T/M are continuing for next season, which I think is great news. Has anyone heard about plans for Lawrence/Swiegers?

Duhamel Radford short program

Duhamel/Radford long program

Moore-Towers Moscovitch short program

Moore Towers Moscovitch

Lawrence/Swiegers short program

(I can't find their long program on Youtube).

vCash
    Sebastian Arcieri (will turn 20 in May) is listed on icepartnersearch as of 3/28.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halffull View Post
    I'm happy to read this. I know with her height they have some technical issues at times but I do really like them together. They are a lovely team
    It's nice to see that kind of commitment in a pair team. ITA, they are lovely. Very elegant. And heaven knows we need to hang on to every senior team we can!

Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    No congratulations yet for great performances of the Canadian pair teams at worlds? OK, I'll do it. They all skated well (D/R and M-T/M really well), and it sounds from interviews as if both D/R and M-T/M are continuing for next season, which I think is great news. Has anyone heard about plans for Lawrence/Swiegers?
    I second your congrats. I think all 3 of our teams saved their best for last. I was particularly impressed with MT/M's FP. That was the best I've ever seen them skate. And Paige landed all of her individual jumps cleanly! Too funny, in his interviews, Scott Russell from CBC has been subtly trying to ask about retirement without actually saying the "R" word. So far both D/R and MT/M have committed to next season. I've not heard anything about L/S though.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    In terms of D/R, they told Scott Russell on CBC that they would keep going but it sounded like Eric was a little less sure than Meghan. She said they were going to keep going and he said something like "I guess so"! She's the firecracker in that partnership, it seems.

It's too bad if Purich & Tran split because they were a solid 4th at Canadians this year and even came close to rivaling Lawrence & Swiegers for that 3rd position.

vCash
    Maybe Duhammel and Tran?? Same training centre.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hohoho View Post
    Maybe Duhammel and Tran?? Same training centre.
    Ix-nay. A total mismatch. Tran is one of the most fluid, smooth pairs guys out there . . . Duhamel has her skills, but they are on the athletic side. They wouldn't be a match in basic skating skills/ability.

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast