Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

vCash
    [QUOTE=Erin;4124003- the best they did was 2nd by about 0.1, which I believe was Vancouver in 2008. I remember it clearly because it was highway robbery that they lost and Catherine got to witness me spouting a lot of profanity when the results came up. It's a good thing we weren't sitting very close to the ice.[/QUOTE]

I knew after I posted that I had it wrong. Yes, I was also in Vancouver in 2008 when they were second in Jrs and since I was sitting with a bunch of Sask types there was great jubilation, as well as frustration. Paige and Rudi came over and sat with the group for some time. At that time their future looked unlimited. Recently injuries have kept them down, and they have not had good results from international judges. It is good that they have been able to enjoy the benefits of Canada having 3 places.

And yes, Purich and Tran will be a team to beat in 2018. They know they are in it for the long haul.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I'd never noticed in his ISU bio that Swiegers was born in Cape Town. Isn't Dylan Moskovitch's mother also originally from South Africa?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I'd never noticed in his ISU bio that Swiegers was born in Cape Town. Isn't Dylan Moskovitch's mother also originally from South Africa?
    That's what I recall as well.

vCash
    It's always unfortunate when a team gets slotted into third place all the time. I've been watching the LPs again and I actually think that L&S had the most polished performance of the top three. I presume because of her injury that they spent less time on the jumps and throws and more on everything else. Just out of curiosity, who beat them in 2008?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Film has a tendency to smooth out a lot and distort relative speed. I don't think L&S had the most polished performance from watching in the arena, either overall -- that distinction went to Mervin Tran -- or among the Top 3. Lawrence is more refined than Duhamel and has better line, but she is still struggling a bit with the injury and they didn't skate with the security that D/R did.

Monica Pisotta and Michael Stewart beat them out by .06 at 2008 Junior Nationals. L/S won the FS.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine M View Post
    Another team from Richard Gauthier's group I'll be watching develop is Grenier & Deschamps. Pity there isn't video of their jr pairs winning freeskate out there as I'd love to see it.
    Grenier & Deschamps put together two good programs and were really the only team to skate it lights out. They deserved the win. I was familiar with Deschamps, who'd not really had much success in the past. Grenier really stands out for me. She's a good pairs girl.

vCash
    [QUOTE=kwanfan1818;4124390]Film has a tendency to smooth out a lot and distort relative speed. I don't think L&S had the most polished performance from watching in the arena, either overall -- that distinction went to Mervin Tran -- or among the Top 3. Lawrence is more refined than Duhamel and has better line, but she is still struggling a bit with the injury and they didn't skate with the security that D/R did./QUOTE]

I mean that all their moves were finished with attention to details. Both DR and MTM still don't do that to the degree I'd like to see given that they are top teams. I was also in the arena.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I think Moore-Towers was easily at least her equal in that regard in Ottawa. Duhamel has been working on line, but she has other strengths.

vCash
    Alright, this has nothing to do with skating. I just finished watching 'Silent Witness - Fallen Idol' and thought Jesse Birdsall looks like Eric Radford. What do you think?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Paige and Rudi have my favorite SP in pairs skating this season. It's so cleverly choreographed and they do it so well, very entertaining to watch. Lovely long program too. IMO L/S are superior in skating skills to both D/R and M-T/M.

vCash
    I actually tend to agree with VarBar. Paige and Rudi often have the best choreography and I think because she is so often injured, they spend time on all the in betweens and it comes off very smoothly in the end. Also their lifts are always the best!! M/E's lutz's were really on in Ottawa. That seems to be enough to keep them in the lead. K/D looked very polished, too bad he missed his toe in the long, seems to happen more and more with him. N/M you can see they've worked hard to soften her but I still don't care for them as a team. Their practices were all horrible, neither landed much of anything. They were lucky to land what they did during the actual competition. They weren't so lucky today at 4CC where he fell on the jump, she fell on the throw and he stumbled (for the 3rd time this season) in the footwork. They have a long way to go so I hope they work hard because I want to like them, I'm just not there yet. M/M had a much better showing at Nationals than they have all season. He deserves much respect since she, although beautiful, is not a tiny little pair girl. S/R could have a good future with continued hard work. It will depend on if she gets her jumps but I was impressed with their speed and they have a great twist. Hopefully, like N/M they stick together and improve for the future. B/J she looked better to me, she has softened her look and has better posture. I was not impressed with him, he looked like he'd rather be somewhere else. I don't think he's a good lifter and their jumps were way off. I know they've been together the shortest amount of time for all the new teams but they are both very experienced. Overall I thought Nationals was a really well skated event. There was definitely some very questionable judging ... but then again, it is figure skating

vCash
    Grenier & Deschamps programs from Canadians are up on Youtube via Vanessa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyczCtDvbok

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Thank you so much for the line to Grenier and Deschamps programs. They have a nice look on the ice, with similar lines and similar spin positions for all but the sit spins.

vCash
    Paige & Rudi are in Winnipeg enroute to Sochi. They dropped the puck at the Jets/Canucks game last night http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/new...Language=en-GB and are skating on one of my club's sessions this afternoon. A liitle oopsie from the Jets' announcer - he described them as "representing Manitoba & Canada" at the games. Hopefully Saskatchewan doesn't mind sharing!
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash

vCash
    Fabulous photo!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Love it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Wow... Eric looks so much taller than Dylan!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Wow... Eric looks so much taller than Dylan!
    Indeed!
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    I've always wondered what kind of a singles career Eric would have had if he didn't grow to be 6'2.

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast