Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I understand not a lot of chances will be taken in an Olympic year and most will pay it safe, but to get ahead you have to take chances.
    V/T haven't taken chances. T/M took their biggest chance with "Cotton Club," and lost any chance of a WC title in 2003 due to the loss of speed to perform the intricate program. After that, their free skates were formulaic, but ones they could perform consistently and with speed. (From 2003 I loved them and could watch them skate in unison forever, so the content didn't bother me.) B/L haven't taken chances, Pang/Tong were never ground-breaking, and for that matter, neither were the Zhangs or Shen/Zhao.

Among the competitive current Pairs, I think only S/S, K/S, and D/R have taken many chances.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Its best that they dont peak too soon and slowly grow into their programs so they peak best at Nats and Olys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniskates93 View Post
    Thanks so much for the link.

Their technical elements are amazingly strong for this time of year and I love that they're consistently successful with their jumps and throws. I think it's a wise choice for them to go for a mood piece similar to last year because the judges really liked that. I noticed a bit of a disconnect between the music and the choreography, but I fully expect expression and interpretation to be there by Canadians. Regarding lifts, don't all teams stick with their signature lifts - usually what's successful? I'm not crazy about the death spiral - Duhamel does the same one and it's equally ugly, but I'm guessing it gets them points.

vCash
    Any reports on the pairs entered in the Isabelle Henderson competition this weekend?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cant Skate View Post
    Any reports on the pairs entered in the Isabelle Henderson competition this weekend?
    I only know novice results. 1st Wong/Su
    2nd Eby/Varley
    3rd Glenn/Stock

No idea about scores, just saw a podium shot.

vCash
    Skating Lesson interview with Kirsten Moore-Towers and Dylan Moscovitch
    Last edited by Maofan7; 09-26-2013 at 04:37 AM.

vCash
    Caitlin Fields/Sebastian Arcieri are no longer listed for the Ostrava JGP and won't be replaced.

vCash
    Any idea why? I hope not injury. Canada sure left a lot of entries in JGP Jr pairs on the table this year!

vCash
    Videos of Purich/Tran from Nebelhorn:

Short program
    Long program

The programs are enjoyable, if you ignore the negative commentary of the Eurosport commentator during the long program. IMO they did reasonably well for the length of time they've been skating together. It seems as if the commentator was expecting instant success.

They've clearly done more work on the short program to date than on the long program (and had also shown shown the short program in competition, at the Quebec Summer Championships). The long program still requires work, but they have time. This was the first time they had skated the long program in competition. They will be skating it again at the Souvenir Georges-Ethier competition next weekend.

Their short program score was 56.71, and their long program score was 99.44, for a total of 156.15 and 6th place. That is within two points of Lawrence/Swiegers at the Salt Lake City competition, so it looks as if there is potentially the making of a good rivalry at Canadians for the third Olympic spot (not forgetting Purdy/Marinaro also, of course).

Their whole commentary is rather strange at the beginning of the short program. Why wouldn't Mervin compete for Canada, since he is Canadian? The somewhat unusual part was competing for Japan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post

Their whole commentary is rather strange at the beginning of the short program. Why wouldn't Mervin compete for Canada, since he is Canadian? The somewhat unusual part was competing for Japan.
    Wouldn't it be nice if a pair or dance team could each represent the actual country they are from? Mervin and Narumi were so beautiful together, so it really is a shame that citizenship issues caused the demise of the team. I haven't listened to the commentary but I would guess that most people are just mourning the loss of this gorgeous team.

vCash
    I heard that commentary at the end of their program, since I just came to the live feed when they were almost done, and I thought they must have skated really badly.. however, when I went back and watched the entire program it I found that they had actually done okay. I agree that the comments were a bit too negative for what was put out there.

vCash
    Seguin/Bilodeau finished fourth at the JGP in Ostrava, Czech Republic. Both their short and long programs were significantly better skated here than in Belarus (scores short program 50.50 vs. 47.96 in Belarus, and long program 90.68 vs 79.46 in Belarus). Good for them.

Their short program is here, and the free program is here. Charlie's fall on the double axel sequence in the long program likely cost them the bronze medal.

IMO she's a significantly better performer than he is at this point; he has some work to do. However, they are coming along well.

vCash
    Just watched Duhamel & Radford debut their "Alice in Wonderland" freeskate at Georges Ethier and I really, really like it. Well from what I could tell from the blurry feed. Skated pretty well too, except for both missing the sbs triple sals. Going to be interesting to see how the program develops as the season goes on.

vCash
    I absolutely loved it too myself. There is so much good within that program already and it's only October. They did both mess the triple sal (but apparently it was a curse today too, Purich and Tran missed it badly as well) but everything else was pretty much bang on. It really is built for them in terms of building throughout the program to a climax. If they skate it to it's full potential, anything could happen in Sochi. There is just so much to like. I think these are the two best programs they've ever done.
    Kyle

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Here's Duhamel/Radford's FS video: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/39561721
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    I absolutely loved it too myself. There is so much good within that program already and it's only October. They did both mess the triple sal (but apparently it was a curse today too, Purich and Tran missed it badly as well) but everything else was pretty much bang on. It really is built for them in terms of building throughout the program to a climax. If they skate it to it's full potential, anything could happen in Sochi. There is just so much to like. I think these are the two best programs they've ever done.
    but their side by side triple lutz were amazing.. what a great program.. it will be a tough year for the Canadian pairs not sure which one will be on top as much closer than other years but either way will have a great Olympic team.. can't wait for Ottawa
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Their program is a great contrast to the short program - totally different styles. While I was watching it, I kept thinking, 'Is this choreographed by Ingo Steuer?". It isn't, of course, but it looks like one of the avant-garde programs he would put out for Savchenko/Szolkowy.

Their height has improved on the triiple twist and also on both the throws.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Here's Duhamel/Radford's FS video: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/39561721
    I love their LP. The first throw was . Wow. I so hope they can medal at the Olympics.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Wow love love love it! Can't wait to see it live at Skate Canada in a couple weeks

vCash
    Purich/Tran's program is here. As mentioned above, they had trouble on the 3S and she also fell on the throw 3Lz. For some reason, the pair spin near the end was not counted, costing them about 5 points (Protocols). Can anyone explain what they did incorrectly? It looked fine to me.

Interestingly, they received PCS scores at this competition that were 4 points lower than what they received from international judges at Nebelhorn last week. Usually it's the other way around, with international judges marking lower than domestic judges. Having watched both programs, I'm not sure that the lower PCS scores were justified.

Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast