Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Just wondering if there has been either a video clip or post with comments on Purich & Tran? I wish them well.

vCash
    Purich/Tran's Quebec SP video was posted a few pages back: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3971469

Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    (Are we allowed to talk about JGP results outside of the kiss and cry? I hope so, but I'm not clear on the rules for this board).
    Yes, AFAIK.

I thought Dylan Conway/Dustin Sherriff-Clayton had a very respectable debut on the JGP circuit this weekend. Their free skate was better than their short program IMO, and is on Youtube. (Their short program is also on Youtube). I could see them easily hitting 85 points by the end of the season, perhaps even 90 points if the throws and jumps become clean. Personally I think they did well enough to justify a second assignment.

Bryce Davison is no longer listed as one of their coaches; does anyone have any news on whether he is still coaching?

On the other hand, IMO the short program for the new team of Mary Orr/Phelan Simpson was stronger than their long program. It is posted here. (Their long program is also on Youtube).
    Thanks for taking the time to post these 2 video links.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfanfun View Post
    I love Meagan and Eric's SP. just two minor area for improvement:
    1. Eric's hair, it makes him look taller and his head longer, both not to their advantage. The long hair was much better, the curls in the interview was so cute, handsome!

2. The death spiral entry is very nicely designed, love it! but I'm afraid Meagan hasn't done its full justice yet. The extended leg should be closer to the blended skating leg, ideally touching it, and the shooting the duck/pipe position should be tighter, chest to leg. if she can do these two it would be really to die for.
    ITA, especially on the second point. Not much tweaking to do. I LOVE the opening and can't quite figure out how Eric picks her up so easily that second time...by the neck...? I wonder what that would look like with one or both of Meagan's legs extended in the air...?

There is something not quite aesthetically right with her free leg going into the death spiral. Yes I think they should play with her positioning to find the exact right look.

vCash
    The unique aspect of Meagan and Eric's "look" - i.e., different heights and body types - makes for many opportunities athletically and choreographically that I enjoy seeing succeed within a sport which tends to overly favor "traditional" and expected looks. Bring on short ice dancers w/o blond hair! Bring on more mixed ethnicity pairs. Bring on combinations of body types that are not necessarily the boiler-plate sillouette for pairs.

vCash
    New article on Julianne Seguin: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx

As a pair skater, Séguin is the perfect partner, standing 4-foot-10, a foot shorter than Bilodeau. They are the right size and the right age: Bilodeau just turned 20 and the two of them can enjoy two years of eligibility at the international junior level. The plan this year is to focus on the junior level, hoping to make the Junior Grand Prix Final and the world junior championships.

But Picard is wistfully looking at the national senior pair ranks, where the third spot appears open. And at the summer provincials, Séguin and Bilodeau scored higher than another exciting new team of Nastasha Purich and Mervin Tran (at least in the short program – Purich and Tran did not do the long program). “After they’ve done their Grand Prix, we’ll see how it goes,” Picard said.
    Hmm, I think I smell a rivalry brewing here already.

Random questions:

- Who is coaching Hancherow/Killing?
    - Are Murtha-Anders/Michaud still skating together?
    - What jumps does Caitlin Fields have?

Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    Bryce Davison is no longer listed as one of their coaches; does anyone have any news on whether he is still coaching?
    Yes, he had at least two students at Thornhill.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    ^ Thank you for posting the link to the Seguin article. According to their ISU bio Hancherow/Killing are coached by Annie Barabe.

vCash
    ISU bios for the JGP pairs were recently updated for:

LAT:
    Conway/Sheriff-Clayton: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00034413.htm
    Orr/Simpson: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00034495.htm

SVK:
    Hancherow/Killing: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00034496.htm

Caitlin Fields attempted 2A and 3S with Arcieri at the Quebec comp. last month and hopefully will improve her consistency in competition on them as the season goes on.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks for the information about Bryce Davison. I was wondering, because he is no longer listed as one of the coaches for Conway/Sherriff-Clayton, at least in the Skate Canada JGP press release.

And at the summer provincials, Séguin and Bilodeau scored higher than another exciting new team of Nastasha Purich and Mervin Tran (at least in the short program – Purich and Tran did not do the long program).
    Is this correct? From my records, Purich/Tran had a short program score of 52.50, whereas Seguin/Bilodeau had a short program score of 51.70.

However, both of them also have to worry about Paige Lawrence/Rudy Swiegers. If we're comparing short program scores, Lawrence/Swiegers had a short program score of 54.64 at Skate Detroit (and have, of course, much higher international recognition than Seguin/Bilodeau, although not more than Mervin Tran).

Thanks, shutterbug, for asking about the status of Murtha-Anderson/Michaud. They were one of my favourite teams from the live stream of Canadians. AFAIK they have not entered any summer competitions.
    Last edited by geoskate; 09-02-2013 at 05:34 PM.

vCash
    - Who is coaching Hancherow/Killing?
    I editted out a comment in the previous post because the ISU bios appeared to show that Hancherow/Killing had competitive experience in previous seasons, but those are with previous partners according to the subscripts.

So I'll post the comment again: Have Hancherow/Killing been to any summer competitions? I can't find any record of that. It seems strange to me to give a JGP assignment without any competitive experience whatsoever. I'm sure they're a good team, but it's unusual to not do not do any summer competitions and go straight to the JGP. Perhaps I missed their competitions, however.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Also the age rules for juniors (Rule 108, second iteration) change for next season, and at 20 (by 1 July 2014) Bilodeau will have aged out of juniors for 2014-15. (Under the current age limit [21], with an August birthday, he would not have.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    There are many examples in Canadian pairs history where a young, up-and-coming team 'techs' their way to the 3rd Olympic spot when the more favorited teams coughed.

Sale/Turner, Langlois/Archetto, Ball/Wirtz, Dube/Davison, ...

The first two spots are locked up but there will be a lot of pressure. If a young team surprises L/S, I expect it to be Purdy/Marinaro. They have more of a package to offer. They are my pick if not L/S.

Julianne has a shot but will likely be wiped out. She's going for JGPF in 2 events and then will skate senior ladies at Nats. Yikes...

vCash
    We'll see how Seguiin/Bilodeau handle ther JGP assignments, since they have been assigned to back to back JGPs (Belarus and now Ostrava in the Czech Republic), and she is also skating in the ladies competition in Ostrava. If they can handle that, they can probably handle anything.

vCash
    I won't be surprised if Seguin & Bilodeau decide to skate seniors come Canadians. You never know, with some luck and a couple of bad skates by other teams they could find themselves on the Olympic team.

vCash
    Article on choreographer Mark Pillay, with quotes from Moore-Towers and Moscovitch ("Micmac" is the SP music they are keeping for the 2013-14 season): http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx
    Relevant excerpt:
    Pillay was asked to choreograph a program for Moscovitch when he skated with his sister, Kyra, by coach Kris Wirtz, who spied the transplanted Vancouverite when he was in Kitchener-Waterloo, doing routines for the synchronized team, Nexxice. When Kyra retired, Pillay became the only choreographer for Moore-Towers and Moscovitch.

“He is an absolute gem,” Moore-Towers said.”

“We love him,” Moscovitch said. “He has really put his heart and soul into working with us and truly cares about our career.” Pillay has worked with them for so long, he considers them friends.

When he presented them music from the French language film “Micmac,” both skaters thought: “Really?” Moore-Towers admitted she hated it. “I can’t skate to this,” she thought. “It’s awful.”

“But as we started to choreograph it and then everything started to come together, I realized he knows what he’s doing. He had a vision.”

Pillay said the music was meant as a tribute to the feistiness of female pair skaters: in the choreography, Moore-Towers rules the roost. “It’s a play on the man-woman relationship,” he said.
    Sarnia Observer article (Aug. 24) about Purdy/Marinaro and working with Kurt Browning: http://www.theobserver.ca/2013/08/24...-kurt-browning
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-04-2013 at 09:49 PM.

vCash
    What a fabulous article about Pillay. He is truly an amazing guy!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    What a fabulous article about Pillay. He is truly an amazing guy!
    Great choreographer and an even nicer guy. He was working in Germany when my DD and her partner were going to be skating programs he had choreographed for them in Estonia. He took the train to watch them skate and was the first person to tell them they had set a Canadian record for points and then he took them out for a tour of the city with some local friends. He really made her trip!

vCash
    Pillay does look like Sandhu. I bet Kurt would be surprized to learn Casablanca won him a world title in the 1980s

vCash
    Video interview with Purich & Tran at the High Performance Camp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kl6c...layer_embedded Their free program music is from Life is Beautiful.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Video interview with Purich & Tran at the High Performance Camp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kl6c...layer_embedded Their free program music is from Life is Beautiful.
    Thanks for posting this clip. Excited to watch their debut this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    - Are Murtha-Anders/Michaud still skating together?
    Is there any news on this partnership? I haven't seen or heard of them competing this summer....

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast