Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Loved D/R's sp.

vCash
    D&R= transformation!

I have got to hand it to them! I have not seen a transformation from one season to the next like this since 96 with Kwan or Lu Chen. In a pair team, i dont recall. I'm floored. The other thing i like is that Radford is just unbelievable at expressing the music. fabulous fabulous fabulous

vCash
    I absolutely love Duhamel/Radford.

vCash
    I loved the idea that Radford "created" this music (I know, created isn't the correct word but my brain is acting like swiss cheese and I can't find the word I want, yet again. Sorry).
    I enjoyed listening to it and I can more expression coming from him -- perhaps because he has a deeper connection to this music? Count me in as another who was pleasantly surprised by the entrance to the death spiral. Looking pretty decent for this time of the year.
    Crazy about sports!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Composed.

Pair uses Radford's original score to pay tribute (article published in May 2013): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Another creative pair skater. Mark Militano composed music in his day. Nancy Kerrigan skated to some of it at the Olympics.

Getting an orchestra to perform and record the original work isn't inexpensive. Wonder if they were able to get some funding support.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Love D&R's new SP, love the music, and feel they've come a long way as a team. Still seem a bit mismatched to me, but waaaaaay better than they used to be. Seriously impressed with their determination, commitment, perseverance. And the death spiral entrance is to die for
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    Love D&R's new SP, love the music, and feel they've come a long way as a team. Still seem a bit mismatched to me, but waaaaaay better than they used to be. Seriously impressed with their determination, commitment, perseverance. And the death spiral entrance is to die for
    I love the music too. No, they never say 'we cannot despite the height difference'. Love them for giving it all and prove that height can be irrelevant if you are determined.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    You know, their physical mismatch is pretty striking, but I'm floored at how together they seem throughout many points of their programs. Those paired knee slides were just gorgeous and yeah, that death spiral (not only the entrance, but Duhamel's beautiful position during the element) is stunning.

vCash
    Duhamel & Radford's SP is fantastic, and the music he composed is lovely. I wasn't sure if she was capable of having that much softness in her skating (and it's exacerbated by the fact that it's one of Radford's main strengths), but she's clearly been very persistent in trying to get better throughout her many years as a pair skater and it shows. They are not the most well matched team in the world, but they are certainly improving. I love the program and watched it for a second time right after seeing it.
    Last edited by stjeaskategym; 08-12-2013 at 07:33 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    A look back at Meagan and Eric's short program skating at this time in the season in previous seasons shows that they are way ahead of where they have been in any previous season. It also shows that a team which starts off with one or two poor competitions in the summer season may end up being a very good team:

1. 2010: Skated at the Quebec Summer competition, short program score 49.76. By worlds their score had reached 58.83.
    2. 2011: Quebec Summer competition short program score 45.14 (!), mid-Atlantics just a bit later was a bit better at 54.38. By worlds their score had reached 63.69.
    3. 2012: They did not skate at Quebec Summer, but at Souvenir Georges-Ethier in September their score was 62.16. By worlds that had reached 73.61.

I'm not extrapolating their score of over 71 points here to anything they may achieve later in the season, simply pointing out that they are in by far the best state of preparedness they have ever been at this point in the season.
    Thanks for digging up those old scores, Geoskate. They should be sent to every aspiring pair team in North America to show with some talent and alot of hard work and dedication you can go from scoring in the 40's to scoring in the 70's. But it doesn't happen overnight.

D&R and Julie Marcotte have done a fantastic job over the past couple of seasons of looking at what both do well and minimizing what they don't. Can't wait to see how this SP looks come January and am looking forward to seeing their new long program to "Alice in Wonderland".

vCash
    Well, maybe I'll dissent but I thought D/R looked mismatched in this outing. After the first two elements - twist and sbs jumps - she seemed shorter-stepped and more tentative than he. He was deep into the ice and moving freely, but something felt off and when I re-watched, it was her. She's not moving as well as he is in the footwork section and in the spins. I'm of two minds about the number of choreographic lifts used for linking moves and transitions. I'd like to see her blades on the ice more. This is initial impression only. S&S use lifts and carries as transitions and I'm usually impressed, so I don't know why I'm reacting this way. I liked D/R's short last season better so far.

vCash
    Count me as another who likes this new SP and one who also Loves the music...Looking forward to its evolution over the season,
    D/R continue to impress me with their commitment to being the very best they can be as a team, showcasing how hard, hard work can pay off in the long run! Sometimes having weaknesses is a good thing cuz it makes you dig that much deeper to overcome them, be more innovative, and work that much harder to show off your strengths to best advantage. Way to start the season guys! I can only imagine how fab the fight will be for the top spot at nationals, the fight to be on the OLY team, esp if last year's incredible pairs event is anything to go by...

vCash
    I mam with all the D/R lovers! My impression of this is that they are really skating with expression and strength. I love the fact that they now seem to be skating "big". They seem to be taking up a lot of ice. I hope that makes sense. Only the top teams seem to do this in my opinion.

vCash
    I loved D&Rs SP, too. Eric especially seemed to be skating with so much expression. Of course he is "into" the music, it is his! It was delightful to watch them both.Dare I say they really looked like podium material already? Definitely skating with the major contenders this year.

vCash
    I've already said I love this short program, and have watched it several times, but

After the first two elements - twist and sbs jumps - she seemed shorter-stepped and more tentative than he. He was deep into the ice and moving freely,
    I think I agree with Subway. I noticed that too on about the third or fourth viewing. However, I don't think it's a problem with the program, just that it will require more time for it to completely gel for her than for him. After all, Eric is skating to music that he composed, so he already can hear every nuance of the music in his mind as he skates, with absolutely no effort on his part. Meagan doesn't have that advantage, and has to internalize the music and then have the movement come out of that. That takes time. IMO she's already 90% of the way there, but Eric's 100% of the way there, because it's music that he's lived with for several years.

vCash
    On another topic, any ideas why Julianne Seguin/Charlie Bilodeau didn't get an assignment to JGP Slovakia? His birthday is August 6, 1993, so my understanding is that they would be age-eligible for the JGP. Is that correct?

If so, it's a bit surprising, unless there's a strategic reason for putting them in the two later competitions. They had already skated very well at Skate Detroit, and then followed it up with very good skates this past weekend. (I'm also assuming that they are good enough to justify two competitions right off the bat, just like Bent/MacKeen in dance).

vCash
    Julieann is competing in singles at the second Grand Prix which i think would make it next to impossible and too exhausting to compete in the third Grand Prix which is on a different continent

vCash
    Of course. Thanks for pointing that out. Belarus will likely be their pairs assignment, then. (I think that's the next JGP event with pairs). It could get complicated if Julianne medals in Mexico, which is a possibility.

vCash
    Eric
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast