Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    Physically they would look fabulous together.. great match! Maybe she could move to KW ?
    I'm hoping they would train in Quebec. KW is not the most positive training environment imo, especially for girls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    It's a different era now than when Wirtz competed though. The envelope for triple twists and throws is being pushed towards quads and smaller boys aren't going to have the power to get the job done. And it should be noted a shoulder injury ended Wirtz's career after his wife worked her butt off to get back in competitive shape after their first baby together was born. I think the stresses of pairs are difficult for smaller men.
    I agree, totally different era now, a pair like Tai Babilonia & Randy Garnder would not be able to be World Champions nowadays like they were back then in the 70's. In fact the exquisite & lovely Purdy & Marinaro are the Tai & Randy of the 21st century. Jmho, more's the pity, as I adore both pair teams.

However, I have to be honest, the two men that are doing the 4twist nowadays only stand 5'7" (Han Cong) and 5'10" (Nodari Maisuradze) respectively. And there is only an 8" height differential between them & their respective partners: Sui Wenjing (4'11"), Julia Antipova (5'2"). Granted, their female counterparts are built fey waif-like, so that should help. But the weird thing is that these men, though short, are built TOUGH, square, somatypes exactly the same:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Cong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nodari_Maisuradze

After looking at their respective photos, this tells me it's all about *strength* more than anything else. Interesting...

Btw, back in the day (aka 80's), Sergei Grinkov (6'0") & Ekaterina Gordeeva (5'2") used to be able to do a 4twist.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The funding in Quebec is solid.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The funding in Quebec is solid.
    Of course of all people I should know that . That makes sense although Ontario now does have quest for gold funding to encourage the kids to stay in the Province.. Certainly does seem to be Montreal (st Leonard ) KW as the pairs place to train..
    Last edited by 4rkidz; 04-17-2014 at 04:50 PM.
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    St. Léonard is the place to be for Canadian pairs because that is where Richard Gauthier has been for the past 2 decades.

vCash
    Of course of all people I should know that . That makes sense although Ontario now does have quest for gold funding to encourage the kids to stay in the Province.. Certainly does seem to be Montreal (st Leonard ) KW as the pairs place to train..
    Quest for Gold doesn't quite add up to the subsidies that the province of Quebec gives. Ice time in Quebec is significantly cheaper than Ontario. I recall conversations with Quebec parents at Nationals where it sounded like some of their costs (transportation, coaching fees etc.) for sending their children were also subsidized which is not the case in Ontario.

There are a myriad of reasons why I will have to disagree that KW is the place to train for pairs. KW is one of the more expensive skating centres in Ontario and it is definitely not a positive environment for girls. I have only limited experience with the coaches at St. Leonards or the teams there but I would certainly choose it of the two based on personal experience.

It should be noted that there are also pairs centres in Cambridge (Champions Training Centre run by Kevin Wheeler) and one in London (London Competitive Skating Centre run by Scott Rachuk and Alison Purkiss). Kevin Wheeler has done some good work at the junior level in the recent past, with a couple of teams on the jgp circuit, with one making it to the final as well as recent Novice champions and silver medalists at national level. Rachuck and Purkiss have Purdy/Marinaro, who have also had a lot of success as well as longevity.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I only know this because you explained it to me in Ottawa .

Many skaters have talked about how Gauthier cares about his students long-term health and and growth as people. Usually it's a trade-off between that and money, but in his case, it seems to all be in the same place.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quest for Gold doesn't quite add up to the subsidies that the province of Quebec gives. Ice time in Quebec is significantly cheaper than Ontario. I recall conversations with Quebec parents at Nationals where it sounded like some of their costs (transportation, coaching fees etc.) for sending their children were also subsidized which is not the case in Ontario.

There are a myriad of reasons why I will have to disagree that KW is the place to train for pairs. KW is one of the more expensive skating centres in Ontario and it is definitely not a positive environment for girls. I have only limited experience with the coaches at St. Leonards or the teams there but I would certainly choose it of the two based on personal experience.

It should be noted that there are also pairs centres in Cambridge (Champions Training Centre run by Kevin Wheeler) and one in London (London Competitive Skating Centre run by Scott Rachuk and Alison Purkiss). Kevin Wheeler has done some good work at the junior level in the recent past, with a couple of teams on the jgp circuit, with one making it to the final as well as recent Novice champions and silver medalists at national level. Rachuck and Purkiss have Purdy/Marinaro, who have also had a lot of success as well as longevity.
    Yes that makes sense then.. I do know about the ice costs as for my daughter it was only $600 a year in Quebec but she was fortunate as she got quest for gold as well.. I agree regarding Kevin Wheeler but yes Gauthier would be a great choice if he is respectful of his skaters which is so important, especially for the girls who will typically get tossed aside by their male partners

Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I only know this because you explained it to me in Ottawa .

Many skaters have talked about how Gauthier cares about his students long-term health and and growth as people. Usually it's a trade-off between that and money, but in his case, it seems to all be in the same place.
    That's nice, he always comes across as being caring so good to hear. I know when our daughter trained in Quebec for her sport it was MUCH cheaper than Ontario.. especially if your also at a great university/college like she was.. Hope these kids still stay in school as well even if part time as their sports careers are so short lived.. There are several English speaking schools in Quebec which is good.

vCash
    yes Gauthier would be a great choice if he is respectful of his skaters which is so important, especially for the girls who will typically get tossed aside by their male partners
    Does this happen to girls more often in Ontario than Quebec? Someone above said that the environment in the Kitchener-Waterloo area seems to be more negative for girls than in Montreal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    Does this happen to girls more often in Ontario than Quebec? Someone above said that the environment in the Kitchener-Waterloo area seems to be more negative for girls than in Montreal.
    I have no idea about the KW stuff.. I just know that there are far more pair girls than boys and often boys will go through 3 or 4 girls - as they grow.. Not suggesting mistreatment, just the reality of the sport in both Ontario and Quebec..

vCash
    I'd say it's a matter of opinion.

vCash
    I don't have a lot of experience with Gauthier, but it's certainly good to hear that he cares about his student's long term health and growth as people.

My comment about KW not being the most positive training environment was actually aimed more at coaching than at how the boys treat partners. The girls were weighed publicly in front of each other while my DD skated there, other girl's weights were once shared with me unprompted in the lobby by coaching staff, one of the senior girls told DD that she would be "the fattest girl on the junior circuit" while eating a half of a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter during a break between sessions, my child was sworn at and called b*tch repeatedly by a coach despite the fact that we had a meeting with them requesting that more professional conduct be used. So while it's true that this is my opinion only, it is an opinion based on personal experience.

On the other hand, I cannot say enough positive about the environment and professional conduct of the coaching staff at Preston. In fact, while my child no longer skates, I still gladly volunteer my time with this club in gratitude for them giving my daughter a much more positive experience than the one she had in KW.

vCash
    I don't have a lot of experience with Gauthier, but it's certainly good to hear that he cares about his student's long term health and growth as people.

My comment about KW not being the most positive training environment was actually aimed more at coaching than at how the boys treat partners. The girls were weighed publicly in front of each other while my DD skated there, other girl's weights were once shared with me unprompted in the lobby by coaching staff, one of the senior girls told DD that she would be "the fattest girl on the junior circuit" while eating a half of a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter during a break between sessions, my child was sworn at and called b*tch repeatedly by a coach despite the fact that we had a meeting with them requesting that more professional conduct be used. So while it's true that this is my opinion only, it is an opinion based on personal experience.

On the other hand, I cannot say enough positive about the environment and professional conduct of the coaching staff at Preston. In fact, while my child no longer skates, I still gladly volunteer my time with this club in gratitude for them giving my daughter a much more positive experience than the one she had in KW.
    I've never heard a bad word about Gauthier, and know pairs girls that have relocated there and are unwilling to leave because it is such an improvement over their prior training environments.

OTOH, I totally concur with the comments re: KW, and can add that such treatment and language is not limited to females.

vCash
    Moore-Towers & Moscovitch seem to be happy in Kitchener-Waterloo and doing very well in the standings now, but maybe they are the exception to the rule?

vCash
    Moore-Towers & Moscovitch seem to be happy in Kitchener-Waterloo and doing very well in the standings now, but maybe they are the exception to the rule?
    I don't think they're the exception. I'm sure every training base has it's good days and bad days and I honestly don't think skaters of that calibre would stay with a coach if they are unhappy for any period of time, especially when there are so many options for good pair coaches in Canada and the US.

vCash
    I can't imagine anyone messing with Dylan, what with his martial arts training. And I doubt that Dylan would let anyone mess with Kristen.

So often in the past pairs coaches have tolerated and exhibited the same type of behaviour that yfbg722 reports.

The Wirtzes do not seem like happy people, on the whole. Their personalities would certainly influence the atmosphere at the club.

It is good to know that Gauthier and his staff are concerned with their skaters' well being.

vCash
    The Wirtzes have never been known as the friendliest people (particularly Kristy) but that doesn't mean they are bad people. They did used to have a bit of a rocky relationship in their early partnership though, and there was the time when they had an argument in the K&C on National television where they told each other to shut up. Rod Black even commented on it at the time.

They seem to have mellowed over the past decade and gotten over the hard feelings they once had towards being dethroned by Sale & Pelletier. And perhaps it was difficult for them to come across as charming and charismatic as Jamie & David in those days.

With regard to Gauthier, in the early days of Sale & Pelletier's partnership, David still could be bad-tempered and Gauthier told him he wouldn't let him stay in his skating school unless he developed a positive attitude. Gauthier explained how important a positive atmosphere at the arena is among his pairs. There may still be a few old articles online which discuss this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniskates93 View Post
    I don't think they're the exception. I'm sure every training base has it's good days and bad days and I honestly don't think skaters of that calibre would stay with a coach if they are unhappy for any period of time, especially when there are so many options for good pair coaches in Canada and the US.
    This!! No one is perfect, not even Gauthier. Jamie and David left Gauthier and had Jan Ullmark at their side when they won Olympic gold so something was up to make them leave Gauthier at the height of their amateur careers. I've heard stories from just about every major training centre in Canada that would make your hair curl. It's a matter of elite skaters finding what works for them. For some that maybe Wirtz's, for others it maybe Gauthier, Barkell, Rachuck ... there's a lot to choose from and I don't think any one is perfect.

vCash
    From what I've heard, the Wirtzs are also known for showing blatant favouritism for one team over another. It was so bad at one point that it drove one team to make a move to the Gauthier camp. Said team went on to win the Canadian title within two years of the move. And the only reason Sale & Pelletier left Gauthier for Ullmark is because Jamie was having difficulty with her individual jumps.

In any event, I can't even imagine little firecracker Natasha Purich working with Kristy Wirtz. Oil and water. IIRC, Rob and his former partner Taylor Steele trained at Preston for a period prior to relocating to KW. If Rob moving to Montreal isn't an option, possibly going back there might be given consideration? I'd love to see what Kevin Wheeler could do with a team who has such a big height difference.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    From what I've heard, the Wirtzs are also known for showing blatant favouritism for one team over another. It was so bad at one point that it drove one team to make a move to the Gauthier camp. Said team went on to win the Canadian title within two years of the move. And the only reason Sale & Pelletier left Gauthier for Ullmark is because Jamie was having difficulty with her individual jumps.

In any event, I can't even imagine little firecracker Natasha Purich working with Kristy Wirtz. Oil and water. IIRC, Rob and his former partner Taylor Steele trained at Preston for a period prior to relocating to KW. If Rob moving to Montreal isn't an option, possibly going back there might be given consideration? I'd love to see what Kevin Wheeler could do with a team who has such a big height difference.
    I wasn't aware of that team switching. Very interesting!

Kevin Wheeler is certainly more innovative with regards to lifts. I've seen lift classes in both KW and Preston and found his much more interesting and creative. Rob Schultz has beautiful jumps and I once asked his mother where they came from. She credited Wheeler. IMO Wheeler is also a very nice man. If I had one do over in the sport, I'd have taken my DD there at the beginning of her career, rather than the end.
    Last edited by yfbg722; 04-20-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: grammar

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast