Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Ah, thanks.

vCash
    Lawrence / Swiegers Closing In on Olympic Dream

The duo is headed to Florida this month to do some final prep work with former Olympian, coach and Hamiota product Lyndon Johnston.

Lawrence and Swiegers recently changed their short program, but feel pretty comfortable with what they've done.

"We were starting it off really quickly with our first element, which was side-by-side jumps, and then going into the triple-twist," said Lawrence, "The way it was laid out, we were finding that in competition, we were getting a little bit too excited and how quickly we were going into our first element wasn't allowing us the time to settle into our legs so we switched some elements around, the order around, the layout around."
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    That's probably why they competed only the short at Challenge.

On a different note. I took that photo in the article at Skate Canada International when it was at the Hershey's Centre a few years back. I did not know they were planning to use it haha.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Look what I found in my Jan 2014 issue of consumer reports. Made me do a double take. Wonder what Meagan would say...

http://oi42.tinypic.com/2q1rwo8.jpg

vCash
    Skate Canada is posting 1-minute long videos of skaters sharing "their favourite moments leading up to the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Tire National Skating Championships, Jan. 9-15, 2014 in Ottawa, Ontario."

Purdy/Marinaro: http://vimeo.com/81814189
    Purich/Tran: http://vimeo.com/82394003
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Duhamel and Radford : 45 days to Sochi vid. Love their SP and Radford's composition.

Wishing them and the rest of the Canadian pairs skaters all the best.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I sincerely hope they achieve their dream
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Shutterbug posted to a link about Seguin/Bilodeau, in this post: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4121488.

I wonder what they mean by this:
    « On veut amener de nouveaux éléments pour aller chercher plus de points »,
    (they want to upgrade their elements to get more points)?

They're already doing pretty difficult elements (3S, 2A-2T, 3Twist, and the throws are both triples). Link to results page with the protocol list is here. (I can't figure out a way to link directly to the junior long program details pdf).

They could do more difficult throws, I suppose, or update the 2A to a triple, but that's about it. Their levels are good too, except for the 3Twist and the death spiral.

So . . . we'll see what they unveil at World Juniors.

vCash
    I was happy to see Purich and Tran skate in Ottawa. I even had a chance to talk to them in the corridor before their skate. I told them that I had wanted them to be a team for a couple of years and was very happy to see them. It was my fondest wish that they would win an Olympic berth, but knew it was an outside chance. Not taking away from Paige and Rudi, but I thought their mistakes would be enough to make my dreams come true for Natasha and Mervin.

Ah well, I am fine with giving P/T four more years to jell as a team and to increase their tricks. When the skategods are asleep I dare to predict great things for P/T, but I would not go so far as to put it in print. I will just point out that there will be many retirements in the next year, and the number of pairs teams available to fill the void is very small. I hope P/T have lots of room in their trophy cases.

vCash
    I was really impressed with Tran. If she can can improve her presentation to match his, they'll be a team to reckon with.

vCash
    Agree with the positives around Pur/Tran. I find it difficult to take my eyes off him! I hope they stick around for a few years!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I've loved Lawrence and Swiegers since they broke out inJuniors. She's been injured, though, and if she couldn't land the throws, Purich and Tran would have been fine representatives for Canada. I agree that it is hard
    to take your eyes off Tran. He's one of my favorite male pairs skaters in the world.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    L&S had the style and polish that I expect from a top team, even with the errors. P&T do not yet present a matched pair so I was glad the judges weren't swayed by his on-ice presence. Did he have that with his previous partner?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Yes, certainly in their last year or two. However, he and Takahashi were more evenly matched in terms of performance quality. She had beautiful positions in lifts and a dynamic presence. While he was long watchable, he didn't dominate with Takahashi. She had struggled with jumps and throw landings, but the rest was high quality, and she projected. Purich isn't there yet.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Looking at Natasha as a junior, she had more presence on the ice. I think she is a bit overwhelmed by her current position, which has come on very quickly. A few more years, and a few more international medals, and she will be back on form.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    She's concentrating a lot on what is going on, and to an extent, it's a good place to grow, when everyone's looking at the guy. The only downside is if people think she's holding him back, which isn't really fair considering how long they've been together, and I think she looks less juniorish since the beginning of the season. I think the only way they had a prayer for Sochi was if Lawrence's injury prevented her from landing all of the jumps and throws. Lawrence looked strong, and I'm really thrilled for her and Swiegers.

I'm not sure if Skate Canada kept the Olympians in Ottawa for an extra day or two to get briefed, fill out paperwork, etc., but Lawrence and Swiegers were at the rink where Novice and a couple of Junior events were held until they moved Nationals back into Canadian Tire Centre on Tuesday, cheering on their fellow Saskatchewan skaters. I don't know if the competitors were rink-mates -- that would have meant taking off my gloves to page through the Media Guide -- but they had a flag and were very supportive. I was too much of a wuss to go up to them and them on when they were in the lobby between events, but there's a lot of goodwill towards these two, and they looked so happy. Daleman was also there in her Sochi jacket to cheer on her baby brother

vCash
    I actually am happy for Paige and Rudi that they will be Olympians. They deserve it. I remember how thrilled they were to win jr pairs in Saskatoon. IIRC. It has been a long road and they have a great reward. However, I suspect that Paige's injury will bring about a retirement in the near future.

vCash
    Paige & Rudi are very lucky that there was a 3rd spot; past two Olympics its been just the top two teams going for Canada.

I feel bad for Purich & Tran not making it and its a long way to 2018 but maybe they'll take advice from their training mates, Duhamel & Radford on how to stick it out, work hard, improve and become a top team.

Another team from Richard Gauthier's group I'll be watching develop is Grenier & Deschamps. Pity there isn't video of their jr pairs winning freeskate out there as I'd love to see it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    I actually am happy for Paige and Rudi that they will be Olympians. They deserve it. I remember how thrilled they were to win jr pairs in Saskatoon. IIRC.
    I think you must be thinking of their 4th place finish in seniors in Saskatoon. They never did win juniors - the best they did was 2nd by about 0.1, which I believe was Vancouver in 2008. I remember it clearly because it was highway robbery that they lost and Catherine got to witness me spouting a lot of profanity when the results came up. It's a good thing we weren't sitting very close to the ice.

I agree with Catherine that Paige & Rudi are lucky there is a third spot, especially when you look at a country like the US, which doesn't have any top pair teams like D&R or MT&M but has a lot of depth - teams like Scimeca & Knierim who beat Paige & Rudi on the GP this year are staying home. That said, I am very pleased that they are going even if it hasn't been the greatest season for them because after coming in 3rd for three years in a row when there were only 2 spots, it would have been a real shame for them to miss out on 3rd place when there are finally 3 spots available. I was going to be sad for whichever team didn't make it between L&S and P&T, but Purich and Tran are younger with lots of upward potential and at least this isn't their last chance.

vCash
    New L/S article: Small-town figure skaters head to Olympic stage in Sochi

Their coach Patricia Hole said it's a huge feat for small-town athletes, proving they don't need to move to bigger cities to get to the world's largest stage.

“We have given hope to small-town kids that live out in the middle of nowhere that anything is possible.I think we are able to give kids [the message] that you are able to dream big and [have]those dreams come true,” she said.
    Not sure how lucky I’d consider them. These two have been the “almost” team many times. As Erin mentioned above, they missed winning the Jr. nats title in 2008 by .01 (and a load of poop that was), went to Jr. Worlds in 2009 and missed being on the podium by .40, and then missed their best shot at making the Canadian World team in 2012 by 2.76 points. They were due for something to finally go their way, and I couldn’t be more thrilled for them that it happened this year. This might be the first time I’ve ever seen Paige cry in public – so happy that they were tears of joy not tears of disappointment.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast