Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

vCash
    Duhamel/Radford article by Beverley Smith published before the start of TEB: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx

3-minute video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFuYHlC1xIw
    Recording session for the song Tribute composed by skater Eric Radford and orchestrated by Louis Babin. This song is used for the short program by skaters Meegan Duhamel and Eric Radford as they look forward for the Sotchi Olympic Games (2014). Some footage showing their choregrapher Julie Marcotte at work.

The video was produced by Tracy Britnell as a TSN / CTV production.
    This video is also embedded on Babin's site: http://louisbabin.com/eric-radford-m...n-sur-tsn-ctv/

October 25, 2013
    Q&A: Alumnus Eric Radford, medal-winning figure skater and composer:
    http://www.rcmusic.ca/connecting/rcm...and-composer-0
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-13-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Duhamel/Radford's skate from TEB has been posted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwlCjKBN-Ao.

It's still a work in progress, I think, but coming along nicely. Also, this article suggests that Duhamel/Radford plan to continue skating after the Olympics.

Duhamel hopes to finally win in Paris one day. “I’ve got two bronze and two silvers here and I want to win the gold, so hopefully they’ll invite us back,” she said.

vCash
    The short program of Purich/Tran is posted on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHMacYEWpVc, but not the long program yet. Unfortunately CBC didn't show them at all in the TEB broadcast, at least out west.

They established a new personal best in the long program (106.20) and overall (162.09), and finished sixth overall. Their short program score (55.89) did not beat their Nebelhorn score, because Natasha stepped out of their throw here.

It was a good Grand Prix debut for them. It's probably also a good enough score to get them on to the Grand Prix next year, regardless of what they do in the rest of the season. The cutoff last year for top 24 was 153.56 points. It might be a bit higher this year with the Olympic scores thrown in there, but they should still be OK.

I think they're coming together well. Right now they and Lawrence/Swiegers seem to be the top contenders for the third Olympic spot. If Paige's injury is healed by Canadians, they might have a slight edge; if it's not, then Purich/Tran may have a slight edge.

ETA: Their long program is also now on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXr0_kdUNZc. It's the best performance they have had to date in their short career, IMO.
    Last edited by geoskate; 11-17-2013 at 04:32 AM.

vCash
    I was thinking after TEB finished that Purich/Tran might grab the 3rd spot ahead of Lawrence/Swiegers, since Lawrence/Swiegers did not skate well at NHK. However, I know things might be different later if Paige has healed.

vCash
    Impressive skate by Purich/Tran! It will be an exciting Canadians in pairs & dance with those 3rd Olympic spots wide open....here's to great skates and healthy competitors!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    Duhamel/Radford's skate from TEB has been posted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwlCjKBN-Ao.

It's still a work in progress, I think, but coming along nicely. Also, this article suggests that Duhamel/Radford plan to continue skating after the Olympics.
    A month or so ago on FB Meagan and some people were joking about some overused music and Julie Marcotte piped in with something like "I should use that for your short next year!", to which of course I replied "Next year!?!??!?!?". That got me 'likes' from both Meagan and Eric...so....

They are both pretty healthy and they said if their bodies hold up they'd continue on. With the retirements expected after this year they'd have a shot at gold in Shanghai. I assume it would be one year at a time...

vCash
    Really looking forward to the Challenge competition. We're in BC, staying with my sister for a skiing trip, so have access to her skatebuzz & will be watching the feeds.

I'm particularly interested in the senior pairs event and the match-up between Lawrence/Sweigers & Purich/Tran. I'm hoping Paige is healthy and we get to see a good competition. Also, at BC summerskate we saw the junior pair long and a young team, LeClaire/Mostert. They had a real spark about them and we really enjoyed them, although we didn't really like the music or choreography...the skaters themselves were lovely to watch and quite skilled.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    A month or so ago on FB Meagan and some people were joking about some overused music and Julie Marcotte piped in with something like "I should use that for your short next year!", to which of course I replied "Next year!?!??!?!?". That got me 'likes' from both Meagan and Eric...so....

They are both pretty healthy and they said if their bodies hold up they'd continue on. With the retirements expected after this year they'd have a shot at gold in Shanghai. I assume it would be one year at a time...
    From my interview with them before Skate Canada:

What's next after Sochi? I guess you're planning to go to Worlds 2014 too.
    Meagan: Yes, Eric and I are planning to go to Worlds; we feel that it's going to be a big opportunity for us to win the World title.

And after that?
    Meagan: We are planning to continue to compete. We'll probably take it year by year, after this season we will dedicate ourselves to the next season and we're going to see mostly how our bodies feel. I think that the most important thing is going to be how long our bodies will allow us to continue. We feel like we are still improving, we're only beginning now to reach our goals, so it's just the start for us and we don't feel like it's time to stop yet.

vCash
    My interview with Kirsten and Dylan.

Catching up with Kirsten Moore-Towers and Dylan Moscovitch
    http://absoluteskating.com/interview...oscovitch.html

The nicest people ever. My friends who worked at Rostelecom were absolutely charmed by them.

vCash
    Regina's Mervin Tran happy to be home for Skate Canada Challenge (he talks about his split from Narumi Takahashi and his new partnership with Natasha Purich): http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Reg...288/story.html
    Excerpt re. T/T's split:
    The partners were regular medallists in junior competitions, but the highlight of their time together was a bronze medal in seniors at the 2012 world championships in Nice, France. The following summer, Takahashi suffered an injury that required surgery in October of 2012. As a result, the pair didn't compete that season.

Tran concentrated on his studies in mechanical engineering at McGill University, but he kept training to stay in shape for the day Takahashi returned.

In December, she visited Tran and their coaches in Montreal and dropped a bombshell: She was leaving the pairing.

Tran recalled that his now-ex-partner suggested that the two skaters weren't getting along and that she didn't like the way they trained. Eventually, the real reason for Takahaski's decision came out: She wanted to team up with a Japanese skater with the hope of trying to make it to the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

"I can respect that because that's what she wanted to do," said Tran, who would have had to get full Japanese citizenship to compete with Takahashi in Sochi. "The fact (the breakup) turned personal, after six years skating together, that wasn't too pleasant.

"But it was OK. I was over it. When she was recovering (from surgery), the (Olympic) thought crossed my mind. It wasn't a shock. I suspected it, but I didn't expect it to actually happen." Eager to continue his own career after the split, Tran told his coaches he wanted to find another partner. They settled on Purich.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-07-2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: To add excerpt
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Challenge Senior Pairs SP protocols: http://results.skatecanada.ca/2013-2...gesDetails.pdf

4 are competing:
    Paige Lawrence/Rudi Swiegers 57.86
    Brittany Jones/Joshua Reagan 49.66
    Natasha Purich/Mervin Tran 47.78
    Shalena Rau/Rob Schultz 44.34

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    I thought Jones and Reagan looked quite good in their short program today. I wonder if there are any international events with pairs before 4CC that they could be send to to get the minimum TES. Otherwise I don't think there are enough senior teams to send to 4CC, assuming the Olympic teams do not go.

vCash
    Ukrainian Open is next week, Dec. 18-21, in Kiev.

Senior Pairs can compete at:

3 - 5 Jan 2nd New Year Cup in Bratislava, Slovakia

8 - 12 Jan Mentor Nestle Toruń Cup 2014 in Toruń, Poland

vCash
    I thought Jones and Reagan looked quite good in their short program today.
    Also good in the long program, other than the obvious major problem with the side-by-side spins where their lack of time together really showed up. They seem like a very good match.

Question: Do they need a release from the USFSA in order to compete this year? If they do, then 4CC may not be possible in any case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Regina's Mervin Tran happy to be home for Skate Canada Challenge (he talks about his split from Narumi Takahashi and his new partnership with Natasha Purich): http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Reg...288/story.html
    Excerpt re. T/T's split:
    Thank you, Sylvia. This is the first time for me to read about how they split. To get Japanese citizenship is very difficult so their split was somewhat imaginable. It is good to know they talked directly when they parted. I'm still nostalgic about T/T. However, they're going to shine again with their partners. It would be nice to see both of them in Sochi. Even though they don't, they both still have enough time to grow as teams. Hope they'll reach somewhere around T/T used to be. It must be fun to see how both of the teams progress in their own ways. Tran is such a gentle person and a wonderful skater. Love him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    Question: Do they need a release from the USFSA in order to compete this year? If they do, then 4CC may not be possible in any case.
    Yes, they would need a release, but I can't see them having an issue getting one. Reagan's last competition for the US was over 2 years ago (2011 Rostelecom) and USFS doesn't seem to hold skaters longer than that. The bigger problem, as danafan pointed out, is that they would need the minimum scores. I can't see them getting sent to any of the events Sylvia listed - one is next week and I don't know that they could get a last minute entry, one is the week right before Canadians and the other one directly conflicts with Canadians. Grenier/Deschamps are another team that show promise that are in the same boat. So my guess is that only two teams will go to 4CC unless Seguin/Bilodeau happen to have a senior program ready to compete.

I thought Jones/Reagan looked pretty good too. Brittany's posture and presentation has really improved and matured in the last couple of years. She must have grown a lot in the last year - she's almost as tall as he is and he is not a short guy! I can understand why she and Beharry would have split, as Ian is at least a couple inches shorter than Reagan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post

I thought Jones/Reagan looked pretty good too. Brittany's posture and presentation has really improved and matured in the last couple of years. She must have grown a lot in the last year - she's almost as tall as he is and he is not a short guy! I can understand why she and Beharry would have split, as Ian is at least a couple inches shorter than Reagan.
    While Jones/Reagan looked better than I expected them to, I don't feel much has changed in her posture, flexibility or lift positions. As I watched, I had to wonder why he would choose to leave the US and Yankowskas, who is certainly a more accomplished pairs girl, given both she and Jones are likely about the same height.

As for Jones/Beharry, told me at the time that it was due to the fact that they didn't receive a GP assignment. This didn't sit well with Beharry so he decided to take a cruise contract instead.

vCash
    Thanks for that info on Ian Beharry. I was wondering what he was up to since his partnership with Jones ended. Is he still with Kirsten Moore Towers?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    While Jones/Reagan looked better than I expected them to, I don't feel much has changed in her posture, flexibility or lift positions. As I watched, I had to wonder why he would choose to leave the US and Yankowskas, who is certainly a more accomplished pairs girl, given both she and Jones are likely about the same height.

As for Jones/Beharry, told me at the time that it was due to the fact that they didn't receive a GP assignment. This didn't sit well with Beharry so he decided to take a cruise contract instead.
    Does that make him ineligible for competition? What a waste of talent!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticHaze View Post
    Thanks for that info on Ian Beharry. I was wondering what he was up to since his partnership with Jones ended. Is he still with Kirsten Moore Towers?
    I don't think he's dating Moore-Towers anymore, or I gleaned that from facebook anyway.

Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast