Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'm not convinced Purich and Tran will work out...but happy to be proven wrong. Yes they are very early in their careers but the 4 jumping elements aren't too solid and they are still tinkering with throws to see what works. In an Olympic year there is usually at least one pair team that 'techs' their way to a clean skate and surprises for one of the spots. Purdy and Marinaro CAN do that as on a good day they can hit all their jumping elements. They don't get GOE on lifts and twists but they can do enough to get difficult base scores...so they have a chance. Consistency and experience can win out.

I just have a feeling the finish order will be MT/M, D/R, L/S, P/M, P/T...but wow what a race for 3rd.

vCash
    I think we've all been saying Purdy and Marinaro are too close in size for about 5 years now, but they've managed to be pretty successful nonetheless. Looking forward to seeing them this week.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Came across this local article published Sept. 28 titled "Matthew Young still feeling the effects of concussion suffered in April": http://www.thewesternstar.com/Sports...red-in-April/1
    Excerpt:
    Young is still feeling the effects of a concussion he sustained from a fall with his partner and sibling Alexandra at the Silver Blades annual ice show back in April. The Youngs, who had been training all year in Montreal in an effort to move up the ranks on the Canadian pairs skating scene, fell during the duo’s first of two scheduled performances as one of the featured acts alonside guest skater Canadian champion Kaetlyn Osmond of Marystown.

He has not competed since, but put his skates on for the first time two weeks ago when he started doing some coaching while remaining in Corner Brook and taking some general courses at Grenfell Campus while recuperating. Alexandra has returned to Montreal for the winter and will be competing in junior women’s singles this year with her first competition only a couple of weeks away.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Just saw D/R SP, Eric should be proud that is just a beautiful piece of music. I love it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    Just saw D/R SP, Eric should be proud that is just a beautiful piece of music. I love it.
    It's incredibly cheesy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It's incredibly cheesy.
    Whatever. To each his own.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    I love it too. Eric, IMO, is a very elegant male pairs skater which is not common among male pairs skaters. And the music is absolutely gorgeous. What a talent Eric is.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    "Canadians pairs team Duhamel, Radford pay tribute with short program" (Canadian Press article by Lori Ewing published before today's SP at Skate Canada): http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...215/story.html
    SAINT JOHN, N.B. - Eric Radford has always found solace in the keys of his piano, so when his coach Paul Wirtz died of cancer in 2006, Radford sat down and just played.

"My whole life was turned upside down in that moment," Radford said. "I don't know where (the music) comes from, it just came out of my fingers."

The song Radford composed that day — aptly called "Tribute" — is the music he and pairs partner Meagan Duhamel are skating their short program to this season. It's both a way of remembering his late coach, and a touching tribute to all the people who have helped the two skaters over the course of their careers.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I love it too. Eric, IMO, is a very elegant male pairs skater which is not common among male pairs skaters. And the music is absolutely gorgeous. What a talent Eric is.
    i agree- i love watching him- he must be one special guy to work with- and quiet too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh View Post
    i agree- i love watching him- he must be one special guy to work with- and quiet too
    95% of the time I am only watching Eric. He's been a favorite of mine since I saw him in junior mens at a Canadian championship a long time ago. Such a gorgeous skater. Wishing him and Meagan a great Olympic season!

vCash
    Loved the music and loved the program.......can't wait to see it skated cleanly. They held it together though.......wishing them a terrific skate tomorrow
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Feeling sad that D&R missed the gold in SC. Having said this, and looking on the bright side, they did medal though not the colour I want them to get. Better to make the error now than in the most important competition. They still have the time to work out the kinks.

vCash
    What does this mean for the Grand Prix final - will they have to win their next one to qualify?
    pug lover

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by puglover View Post
    What does this mean for the Grand Prix final - will they have to win their next one to qualify?
    I am not sure puglover. I remember reading somewhere that in order to qualify for GPF, you need no less than a 2-2 or 3-1 (ie two second placings or one third + one first placings).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by puglover View Post
    A 2nd and 3rd is usually enough, maybe even a 3rd and a 3rd on occasion, depending how many pairs have good results.

vCash
    That technical mark is like having cold water thrown in their face. They knew before that they had to be perfect, but it still must be disheartening.

vCash
    Why would it be disheartening? They lost about 8 points on the lift. In addition, they had several level 1 and level 2 calls for elements. Those are things they can fix and which probably lost them an additional 5 or 6 points.

What's heartening for them is that their PCS scores here were about 4 or 5 points higher than they were at Skate Canada last season, at the same point in the season. I'm sure Meagan (who is the mathematician on their team) will know that.

vCash
    One team that seems to be quickly coming together is the new team of Vanessa Grenier/Maxime Deschamps. They have come a long way since their first performances of the short program at Quebec Summer competition and the long program at Souvenir Georges-Ethier. Here's their long program from sectionals, where they competed in junior pairs. http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40420855. They had a score of 90.43 in the long.

vCash
    I like this novice team from Alberta: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40626884.

It's probably best to adopt Sylvia's philosophy for young skaters of just enjoying the skating right now, rather than projecting what could happen in the future, though. It looks like he's just starting to grow to his final height, and she hasn't gone through puberty yet. They're fun to watch right now, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    I like this novice team from Alberta: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40626884.

It's probably best to adopt Sylvia's philosophy for young skaters of just enjoying the skating right now, rather than projecting what could happen in the future, though. It looks like he's just starting to grow to his final height, and she hasn't gone through puberty yet. They're fun to watch right now, though.
    Very nice, thanks for sharing

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast