Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

vCash
    Wow I love that LP from Duhamel/Radford!! I can't wait to see how it develops throughout the season and really hope they bring it in Sochi.

vCash
    I'm very impressed with the height they've developed in the triple twist. That's such a key element. I don't like their music choice but they always pick something I don't like and it hasn't hurt them so far I would like to see what another choreographer could do to eliminate those bent leg positions that Megan (and Eric in a few elements) has in spins and lifts and spirals. They do nothing to help her achieve the long line she needs.

vCash
    Accent: Meagan Duhamel skating outside the box

"The long program is a completely different road, where we are skating to music from Alice in Wonderland from the last movie with Johnny Depp," Duhamel said. "We had a hard time finding music for the long because the short is so grand. Our choreographer, Julie Marcotte, wanted us to use something more theatrical for our long than we did in the past, so we designed a program from start to end to bring people on a journey. There's a lot of funky moves and lifts and we're trying to keep it funky. Theatrical and colourful are good words to describe it. It's very different from what anyone else is doing in pairs skating. You see so many classical-looking skaters with classical music that skaters have used for so long, and I don't know anybody using this music.

"We studied videos on YouTube and thought of how to incorporate them on the ice," she added. "We're using Alice jumping through the rabbit hole as a theme throughout the program. We've got great feedback so far, and that's what people notice. What we talked about before setting our programs was doing something so different, and we've done that."
    Programs like this give me hope that brilliance and originality in pair skating is still possible under COP. Really looking forward to seeing it live at Skate Canada.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    That''s a terrific article, and I hope all their Olympic dreams come true. They are standing on the threshold of achieving what they want. I can't wait to see their programs again.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Here's Duhamel/Radford's FS video: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/39561721
    Really, really like it, I wonder, however, if those are their final costumes. Something a little bit more Mad Hatterish would be appropriate.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Tweeted back on Oct. 1 (quite a photo!):
    Tomorrow we launch our 2014 Peak Moment @CANFUND Calendar! #DECEMBER Skating Pair @Kirsten_MT & @DylanMoscovitch! http://pic.twitter.com/nJ6iX71gbo
    Here is the final shot for our #2014athletecalendar "Peak Moment" @Top_Drawer @Kirsten_MT @DylanMoscovitch
    2014 CANFund calendars are now available for purchase here: http://www.canadianathletesnow.ca/ca...-calendar.html

Both of Canada's top pairs were 2012-2013 Winter Athlete Recipients of the Canadian Athletes Now Fund: http://www.canadianathletesnow.ca/he...ipients-1.html
    FAQ: http://www.canadianathletesnow.ca/about-us/faq.html

Duhamel's profile: http://www.canadianathletesnow.ca/in...875&Itemid=119
    Radford's profile: http://www.canadianathletesnow.ca/in...885&Itemid=119
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-08-2013 at 10:46 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Congratulations to Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, who established a new personal best in the short program at Skate America. Their score of 71.51 beats anything they have done either nationally or internationally to date.

On the other hand, Purdy/Marinaro did not have their best skate, with problems on the throw, twist and jumps. They're probably one of the teams in the running for the third Olympic spot, but they will need a much better short program than this to secure the spot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    Congratulations to Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, who established a new personal best in the short program at Skate America. Their score of 71.51 beats anything they have done either nationally or internationally to date.

On the other hand, Purdy/Marinaro did not have their best skate, with problems on the throw, twist and jumps. They're probably one of the teams in the running for the third Olympic spot, but they will need a much better short program than this to secure the spot.
    I missed their skate, but this was their first competition of the season I think, and Margaret is coming off an injury (shoulder I think) so hopefully things will get better. The race for that third spot is going to be close. Purich/Tran haven't lived up to expectation. I haven't seen Lawrence/Sweigers yet this season but I'm hoping they make a good run for it too. I really like those two.

vCash
    Yes...great skate from MT/M. And I would also like to see Lawrence/Sweigers get that 3rd spot. As much as I like the new team of Purich/Tran and believe in their potential in the coming years, I really would like L/S have a terrific year and get to go to the OG's...
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    It's like MT/M are now expected to just skate cleanly every time they go out. It's like they could do their programs with their eyes closed. The tiny thing I would have wished for them was that they take the approach D/R do which is to find every point and half point they could to optimize their podium chances. Wonder if they tried 3/3 as a combo instead of sequence (much harder I know...) or did they try to learn harder lifts. Need to go hand to hand to get 7 base value.

My heart is still with L/S to go to Sochi. They rode the bench for so long and seem like awesome people. P/T don't have any chemistry yet and honestly don't look all that great together. They have been downgrading their elements as the season goes to build consistency.
    Michael is my hero for doing so well in the pair moves with a partner so close in size to him. I just have a hunch Purdy retires after this year; I say this like once a month but if we can get Purich and Marinaro together they will be THE next team. Nevertheless I hope he and Margaret have a good season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    Yes...great skate from MT/M. And I would also like to see Lawrence/Sweigers get that 3rd spot. As much as I like the new team of Purich/Tran and believe in their potential in the coming years, I really would like L/S have a terrific year and get to go to the OG's...
    I would also love to see L/S get that 3rd spot..but I would also just love to see them at 100%, injury free & putting down a clean skate. They seem to always have the obstacle of injury or lack of consistency on the solo jumps. Two of their long programs have been my favs..the Dracula one & War Horse. Loved them & can't wait to see what they have this year.

vCash
    Moore-Towers/Moscovitch are scary good right now. Wow. They have really made a statement that they are gunning for a National title and international podiums. Goodness, if S/S and V/T retire/skip Worlds, we could see them (or D/R if they skate well) top the podium.

Missing Worlds 2012 was probably the single best thing to happen to them, career-wise (that and Mark Pillay).

vCash
    Their long program from Skate America is now posted on Youtube (without commentary, too!). Their comments in the Kiss and Cry are interesting, as they start analyzing what happened on the side-by-side spins.

Despite the great marks, I think this is a program that will still grow, unlike the short program which is pretty much fully formed already.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    I started a separate thread for this but I saw that Brittany Jones is skating with Joshua Reagan at WOS sectionals.

http://www.skating-wos.on.ca/competitions/13secconf.pdf

vCash
    The scores for MT/M in Detroit show that that the international judges see them as elite among pairs and medal contenders. Their LP PCS score is over 3.5 pts more than what they got in front of the home crowd at worlds last year. 8.18 to 8.57 was the range. That's big time. So we have V/T winning gold (unless they fall 5 times) and wow it's wide open right after that. I LOVES me a good pairs comp!

vCash
    Re: Duhamel/Radford's FS

This is why Julie Marcotte is by far the best pairs choreographer working at the moment. I can't wait to see how that program will develop over the course of the season.

Purich/Tran will probably beat them quite easily at Nationals. Purdy/Marinaro were great at 2013 Junior Worlds but given how close they are in size, there's only as much as they can achieve within those limitations, sadly. I can't see them ever getting a clean triple twist and the lifts will probably also always look a little laboured. Sorry to say that but I think that Marinaro should look for another partner.

vCash
    Perhaps he'll Marinaro will skate with Kirsten when Dillon retires. . I read somewhere that they are a couple, but don't know if they still are as I really don't follow that trend.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    Perhaps he'll Marinaro will skate with Kirsten when Dillon retires. . I read somewhere that they are a couple, but don't know if they still are as I really don't follow that trend.
    I think you're mixing up Marinaro with Ian Beharry, who Kirsten was reported to be dating and perhaps still is (I don't know their status).

Purdy is a beautiful skater but just too tall for Marinaro...she would need someone along the lines of Jean-Sebastien Fectau to be successful and he needs someone shorter. It's a shame because they are both talented skaters. At this point, I don't know who I'd suggest either of them to pair up with though. The only current male skaters I can think of tall enough for her would be Mathew Penasse or Samuel Morais...I believe that Morais is knew to pairs, so I don't really know what he would be capable of and Penasse had never particularly impressed me. As for Marinaro, I had previously hoped to see him with either Julianne Seguin or Natasha Purich, but they both have good partners now. I can't think of anyone else who would be at his level.

vCash
    Their long program from Skate America is now posted on Youtube (without commentary, too!).
    Wow, that was great. That is all that I have to say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post

Purdy is a beautiful skater but just too tall for Marinaro...she would need someone along the lines of Jean-Sebastien Fectau to be successful and he needs someone shorter. It's a shame because they are both talented skaters. At this point, I don't know who I'd suggest either of them to pair up with though. The only current male skaters I can think of tall enough for her would be Mathew Penasse or Samuel Morais...I believe that Morais is knew to pairs, so I don't really know what he would be capable of and Penasse had never particularly impressed me. As for Marinaro, I had previously hoped to see him with either Julianne Seguin or Natasha Purich, but they both have good partners now. I can't think of anyone else who would be at his level.

Purdy is such a beautiful girl and skater that its a shame that she is too tall for Marinaro but that's the hard truth. she's not going to get shorter and he's not going to get taller at this point. I just can't see them making the transition to senior pairs successfully but if the do decide to stay together, I wish them well.

If Marinaro does decide to look for someone smaller, at this point he'll probably have to find some junior/senior lady who is ready to make the switch over to pairs skating.

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast