Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Video interview with Purich & Tran at the High Performance Camp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kl6c...layer_embedded Their free program music is from Life is Beautiful.
    Thank you for posting, shutterbug. This is their interview in French. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrrTS6mcAoM I'm thrilled with their chemistry.

vCash
    I hope someone tells Natasha to throw out her gum next time.

vCash
    Does anyone have a video link for Mt/M's short yesterday at slc? I tried YouTube, but didn't find anything. Thanks!

vCash
    The new team of Tara Hancherow/Wesley Killing skated their short program at the JGP in Slovakia, and got a very respectable debut score of 46.96. That's despite a complete miss on the double axel. I suspect that jumps will be this team's weakness for a while, but their pair elements were strong for a new team. Link to their program is here. It's interesting that former French pairs skater Maximin Coia is one of their coaches, along with Annie Barabe. I had no idea he was coaching.

vCash
    Was so impressed by the auro of pure confidence that MT/M had during the Free skate especially at SLC Competition. The short dance is obviously familiar, and they skated it with calm. I hope to see more calm and rhythmic nuance. The presentation still comes across as a bit "the same" throughout and to me, this risks being a bit boring. Even if a program is subtle, it needs a bit of shape or emotional arc - you know, beginning, middle, end - sort of thing.

The Free skate is powerful, powerful, powerful. They seem to be in full control throughout, even with the moderate altitude. Great start of the true international season for them.

vCash
    Hancherow/Killing's long program at the JGP in Slovakia was also quite strong for a new team. Link to their program is here. Their long program score was 76.51, with a total combined score of 123.47. As with the short program, their weakness was the jumps. The pair elements were good, especially for a new team, although some of the pair elements (such as the pairs spin) showed their lack of time together.

AFAIK, Tara Hancherow has not been skating pairs for more than two seasons, which makes her strength on the pair elements an achievement. I think her last pair partnership was with Sebastian Wolfe. They placed 2nd in juniors at the 2011 Canadians. It's nice to see her back.

They are also assigned to the JGP in Talinn, Estonia, in October, and their skating here justifies the second assignment, IMO.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I love Hancherow's knee-bend, and her posture is lovely. She was very strong in the first lift and had wonderful positions in the second.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Yes, I was surprised at how good their lifts were, considering that they are a new team and she has been out of pairs (AFAIK) for two seasons. For a junior level team, their lifts are very strong.

vCash
    I really liked Hancherow and Killing and agree that their lifts and throws were very good, and she has a lovely sense of style. The problems with the jumps are a little concerning, but it seemed like they were actually capable of doings the jumps and had decent technique, it just happened that one or the other missed them in competition...but Wesley's double axel in the short was very well done, and Tara's salchow in the free was stood up and only partially underrotated. I hadn't realized that she is nearly 18, so she's unlikely to grow more, which is good.

vCash
    Does anyone have a link to MT/M FP?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    Does anyone have a link to MT/M FP?
    Found one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFDs3y46KZY

vCash
    Thanks Daniskates93. Pretty darn good for this time of the year. IMO this is a team that has evolved beautifully and I can see them wearing medals in the near future.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    MT/M are a part of the CAN Fund (an organization that provides funding for Canadian athletes) calendar this year.

http://instagram.com/p/eaBLx9FdiX/#
    https://twitter.com/Top_Drawer/statu...586880/photo/1
    http://vimeo.com/74131068

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniskates93 View Post
    I'm honestly not too impressed. I expected them to have some great choreography and elements. Not only do they repeat two lifts in the same program but they have done it for years - and it's not even that impressive of a lift. Maybe my expectations were too high. The jumps and throws were good but the rest was pretty boring.

vCash
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This is an Olympic year, not really a year to learn new things. MT/M don't need new lifts right now. Lifting is a big strength of theirs, they do things that other teams cannot do, and they regularly score high on them. They learned a new position for their final lift last year, and I'm guessing they will have it back in for the Grand Prix? Overall, I like this free skate for them. The camera angle wasn't good for it, but that transition into the throw 3 sal is quite eye-catching and beautiful in their video from Skate Detroit.

This team has made huge strides since 2010 and I think they're exciting. I don't know if I would call them consistent yet, but boy are they athletically gifted and make highly technically demanding programs look easy sometimes.
    Last edited by stjeaskategym; 09-19-2013 at 01:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort View Post
    MT/M are a part of the CAN Fund (an organization that provides funding for Canadian athletes) calendar this year.

http://instagram.com/p/eaBLx9FdiX/#
    https://twitter.com/Top_Drawer/statu...586880/photo/1
    http://vimeo.com/74131068
    Kirsten looks so great sans the make up Dylan looks might fine sans clothes!!!

vCash
    julieann, why were your expectations so high? I mean, I enjoyed their LP last season, but it wasn't that greatly choreographed - the elements were well spaced (important to note) and the music was powerful so that it had that gorgeous climactic crescendo. This LP seems to be a bit more subtle and character oriented, and I don't know if they can pull it off. But I love how the first lift matches the music. I'm just delighted they look so strong now. They looked this strong at the beginning of last season and we know they ended that season quite well. And I'm still floored at how much they've improved.

I did think that transition into that throw Salchow was crazy hard and quite beautiful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    julieann, why were your expectations so high? I mean, I enjoyed their LP last season, but it wasn't that greatly choreographed - the elements were well spaced (important to note) and the music was powerful so that it had that gorgeous climactic crescendo. This LP seems to be a bit more subtle and character oriented, and I don't know if they can pull it off. But I love how the first lift matches the music. I'm just delighted they look so strong now. They looked this strong at the beginning of last season and we know they ended that season quite well. And I'm still floored at how much they've improved.

I did think that transition into that throw Salchow was crazy hard and quite beautiful.
    I agree with you about their improvement.
    When they came onto the skating scene and wowed us all they were still diamonds in the rough. Now they are pure diamonds.
    Its great we have two pairs teams that are so very different. I think this program could mesmerize as it grows.

I love their signature lift and its a great feat as well.

Kirsten is looking lovely and so well trained.
    I am looking and hoping for them to medal on the world stage if not this year then maybe next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    I agree with you about their improvement.
    When they came onto the skating scene and wowed us all they were still diamonds in the rough. Now they are pure diamonds.
    Its great we have two pairs teams that are so very different. I think this program could mesmerize as it grows.

I love their signature lift and its a great feat as well.

Kirsten is looking lovely and so well trained.
    I am looking and hoping for them to medal on the world stage if not this year then maybe next year.
    Totally agree with all of this. I love the emotion in their skating, combined with the power. They'll be world medallists sometime soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post

With last year’s free skate, the music allowed their program to have peaks and valleys to make it interesting and hold your attention. The music this season has none of that so the program seems to slog along and get boring half way through. They have great speed, jumps and throws but the spins are way too fast and not only do they get off unison but the positions are ugly in particular in the leg hold. The death spiral needs major work and doing two of the same lifts in one program (especially one they’ve used previously) seems juniorish. One lift he picks her up and with her in the same position lugs her around the ice, rounds the corner only to have both of them hit poses. Her leg bends and his leg come off the ice, it’s labored and awkward. They have a 1/5 chance of a bronze medal, I just hope they bring the emotion as the season progresses. D/R have a much better program at this point.

They looked strong at the beginning of last season because their season before ended in January with a 4th place at Nationals so they had more time to concentrate on the next season.

I understand not a lot of chances will be taken in an Olympic year and most will pay it safe, but to get ahead you have to take chances. That is why I think they may have a hard time beating D/R and certainly won’t get any higher placement unless a team has an epic fail or most top teams retire.

Also, I have never seen a team come off a top 8 or 10 at worlds and look bad 3 months later unless they are injured. Getting used to choreography takes some time, timing and unison and such but the rest will still be there.

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast