Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

vCash
    Size wise she'd make a good pair girl
    Does that mean that Christina is potentially short enough to be a good match with Arcieri in terms of size? If so, he should consider a pairing with her. They would be an excellent match in terms of style, and she does have the jumps (and also, apparently, the double twist, based on the videa that posted of her skating with Rob Schultz).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post

The Wirtzes routinely have put together very young pair girls with men who are too old for the JGP. I don't think that's good for pair skating in Canada, or for the pair girl herself.
    I have never understood why Camp Wirtz keeps putting together old guys with young girls. When Sean Wirtz use to skate with Jennifer Dubois it use to make me go cause they looked so out of place together. And for Rau to give up on her JGP career is a real shame.

vCash
    Matt Penasse has posted some on ice photos of he and Katie Bobak on his instagram:

http://instagram.com/p/Yggz4DQn2G/#
    http://instagram.com/p/YghdDMQn3N/#
    http://instagram.com/p/Yghy4qQn3t/#
    http://instagram.com/p/Ygh8ZoQn34/#

Has it been confirmed that they’ll be training in Barrie?

Count me in among those who are not a fan of the little girl/adult man pairings. I simply don’t find them enjoyable to watch. Not sure how seriously Rau and Schultz can be taken at this point anyway, given the very large age difference. He’ll be 24 in July and may decide he needs to get on with his life before she’s ready for the senior ranks. And I wouldn’t count on her remaining tiny just yet – many of these girls don’t start maturing until they’re 15 or 16. Yes, there is a big age difference between MT/M too, but Kirsten was already fully grown and age-eligible for senior competition when they started skating together.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Posted yesterday in the "New Canadian Partnerships for the 2013-2014 season" thread in the Trash Can:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantallongirl View Post
    Bobak and Penasse are training at Mariposa in Barrie with Lee Barkell. Glad he has a team to coach now that Bell and Sylvester are no longer skating.
    Thanks for the photo links, shutterbug!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-26-2013 at 07:46 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Yes, there is a big age difference between MT/M too, but Kirsten was already fully grown and age-eligible for senior competition when they started skating together.
    I agree. She was also pretty much his match in terms of speed and power even at that age, or at least close enough that she didn't hold him back.

In addition, Kirsten was 17 years old, rather than 14, so she wasn't giving up nearly as many years of potential JGP participation. She was joining up with a partner who had finished 4th at the previous season's Canadians. It was an opportunity that was too good to pass up.

The Rau/Schultz pairing, I think, is more like the situation with Rachel Kirkland and Eric Radford. Rachel was certainly a beautiful skater, just like Shelena is, but she simply didn't have the speed and power that Eric had. He had to hold back in order to match her. Just how much he had to hold back become evident when he finally paired up with Meagan. At that point he became a different skater.

I think that Kirkland/Radford pairing hurt both skaters, although it may have been the only option available at that point for both of them. Eric had to hold back from being everything he could be in that partnership, and Rachel was expected to skate as well as skaters many years older, something she simply couldn't do, although she did very well considering her age. The Rau/Schultz pairing, IMO, will have the same difficulties. Perhaps for them it is the only option available, but if it's not, I think they should explore other possibilities.

vCash
    Sebestian Arcieri is newly listed on Ice Partner Search. It's good that he's at least trying to continue in pairs, since he is very talented (albeit short).

He says that he is undecided on whether he will relocate.

vCash
    Two related articles about Duhamel/Radford:

Sudbury Northern Life: http://www.northernlife.ca/news/spor...l-sudbury.aspx (includes video)
    Meagan Duhamel's long journey to the 2014 Sochi Olympics began many years ago in her home community of Lively, when she first laced up her skates as a member of the Walden Figure Skating Club.

On Saturday [May 18], Duhamel got a chance to say thank you to the people who supported her through many difficult years, and they got a chance, in turn, to say how proud they are of her.

Making a grand entrance with their families and led by a bagpiper, Duhamel and pairs figure-skating partner Eric Radford were feted at the Anderson Farm Museum, where they signed autographs, posed for pictures and mingled with people who have supported them through the highs and lows of their careers.

“At times it's been overwhelming,” Duhamel said after the ceremony, of the support she's received from her hometown.
    Sudbury Star: http://www.thesudburystar.com/2013/0...umphant-return
    Duhamel's grandmother said her perseverance and determination got her to where she is today. "She's as stubborn as her father and as bullheaded as her mother," she said.

Her parents were also at the homecoming and said they were blown away by the support Duhamel has gotten from the community. "Kurt Browning once said it takes talent and hard work to become a good athlete, but you also need encouragement and financial support to make it big," said her mother, Heidi Duhamel.

When Meagan and her siblings were young, their parents both worked two jobs to support them. "The family all sacrificed in one way or another," said Heidi Duhamel.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-22-2013 at 01:04 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    From one of the articles:

Her parents have already started plans to make the long trip to Russia so they can watch them both compete. "We're trying every possible way to get there," said Heidi Duhamel.
    Canadian Olympic federation doesn't help parents make the trip? Or private companies?

vCash
    Families are pretty much on their own when it comes to travel expenses. I heard that Kurt Browning acted as some sort of ambassador with families during the Vancouver Olympics, but it was under the radar.

vCash
    I ran across this article today regarding a new partnership between Julianne Seguin and Charlie Bilodeau. Its in french which I cant read, so I cant say as to whether they will compete junior or senior. How old is Charlie?

http://cimt.teleinterrives.com/nouve..._Bilodeau-2687

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cant Skate View Post
    I ran across this article today regarding a new partnership between Julianne Seguin and Charlie Bilodeau. Its in french which I cant read, so I cant say as to whether they will compete junior or senior. How old is Charlie?

http://cimt.teleinterrives.com/nouve..._Bilodeau-2687
    "In figure skating, Charlie Bilodeau a new beginning... His new partner is Julianne Séguin Longueuil, Quebec senior champion. Due to the registration deadlines, the new couple will not participate in competitions this winter. They take the opportunity to prepare for the next season due to start in July. .."

The article is dated Nov 2012 so they will likely show up in summer competitions this year.

ETA; he will be 20 Aug 6 this year.
    Last edited by Dave of the North; 05-26-2013 at 11:07 PM.

vCash
    Is this the same Julianne Seguin who was competing in ladies' singles?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Is this the same Julianne Seguin who was competing in ladies' singles?
    Yes. She used to compete pairs with Andrew Evans (9th in seniors in 2012)

vCash
    That's terrific news (and explains why Desjardins and Bilodeau weren't at Canadians). I liked Seguin more as a pairs skater than a singles skater, so it's great that she found a partner, especially one eligible for the JGP. It will be interesting to see what she decides to do for international competitions - with Canada having so many JGP slots for ladies, I'm sure she could get two assignments if she wants to do the JGP again in singles and I can't think of too many Canadian pairs who are junior age eligible, so Julianne could be very busy in the fall.

I'm kind of surprised that this stayed under the radar for so long...it seems like something that would have come up during the Nationals broadcast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I can't think of too many Canadian pairs who are junior age eligible, so Julianne could be very busy in the fall.
    I can think of at least 7:

Mary Orr and Phelan Simpson (rumoured new)
    Tara H and Wesley Killing (new)
    Taylor LeClaire and Chris Mostert (N3)
    Kendra Digness and Eric Thiessen (N4)
    Judith ? and Trent M (N2)
    Dylan Conway and Dustin Sheriff-Clayton
    Julianne Seguin and Charlie Bilodeau (new)
    Racheal Dobson and Alexander Sheldrick (ineligible, he is aged out)

No rumored partnership for Sebastien yet that I know of And there was one other guy, Felix, from Quebec who's full name is escaping me, who was on ice partner search and no longer is. He was age eligible so there could be a new partnership there.

vCash
    Thanks for the listing of junior age-eligible pairs. I don't think it changes the basic point that based on what I've seen of their separate pairs skills, I'd put Seguin/Bilodeau towards the top of that list to get JGP assignments. And since Canada is entitled to 3 spots at all 5 JGP events (for 15 slots total), even with 7 junior age-eligible pairs, there are more spots than pairs available.

vCash
    Maybe no one said anything so that it would make a bigger impact.They are probably going to be very good seeing that they both are good skaters and have 2 more years of junior eligibilaty .

vCash
    I personally think Julianne will do both. She's a solid singles skater and if she improves and is consistent, I think she's right in there with a chance for the second Olympic berth. Seguin, Lacoste, Daleman, and Chartrand are all battling for that second spot right now.
    Kyle

vCash
    Julia Mercer & Maxime Deschamps are registered to skate the junior pair short at the Championnats québécois d'été 2013 as of the skater list dated June 7, 2013.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Is Maxime JGP eligible?

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast