Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Good for Sasha. I had a lovely conversation with her at FSIH and she was animated about going to school and living in NYC. I think that it is terrific.

And what does any of this have to do with Michelle? Second post and her name is brought up.
    I have no idea. I have never read anywhere on here say that they think Michelle is "smarter" than Sasha.

I have read that many of Michelle's fans and non fans think she is a hard worker, a very focused and motivated woman who is obviously very bright. I have never heard or read anyone link these comments in any way to Sasha.

I have read some comments that state Sasha made pretty bad choices during her acting career-like the Bratz movie and that weird reality show she was on that only lasted a few weeks. But never that other skaters were "smarter" than her. Maybe the OP who made the comment is confusing people's opinion that Michelle made a smarter choice in 2006 to peruse school rather than an acting career like Sasha did.

vCash
    Michelle Kwan was brought up because The Iron Lady made an inviting snarky comment about Kwan fans, and someone responded in jest. Now we have this whole discussion of why Ivy League schools will inherently have better students in general than other universities.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Back to Sasha's case, if she is still interested in acting, then being a Columbia student will allow her to hone her acting skills in a no-risk, supportive, experimentation-friendly, learning-oriented environment - whether in formal coursework or in campus productions outside of the classroom.

Moreover, to the extent she duplicates CC's vaunted Core Curriculum as a GS student, then having a broad liberal arts background, particularly one where she is exposed to essential literary and historical works, will only enhance her ability, from an intellectual perspective, to understand and interpret the roles and works she will come across as an actress.

And, in any case, being exposed to a challenging academic environment will only prepare Sasha better for whatever she wishes to pursue. Kudos to her for pursuing a quality educational experience.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    The latest I heard was that she wants to do marketing for hedge funds.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    The latest I heard was that she wants to do marketing for hedge funds.
    I remember someone posted a video of Sasha discussing marketing or something along those lines-she was impressive, really seemed quite knowledgeable about the subject.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I remember someone posted a video of Sasha discussing marketing or something along those lines-she was impressive, really seemed quite knowledgeable about the subject.
    Here's the video of Sasha talking finance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qndb7wf8PTo
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

vCash
    Hey who knows? One day I could be stoking my AM addiction of watching Morning Joe when they go to Wall Street for the daily report and we'll see Sasha as the correspondent. I'd love that.

vCash
    I was really impressed with her on that video about finance when it was posted previously. She knew a hell of a lot more about that stuff than I do.

Anyway it is great to see she is doing well and making a life for herself outside of skating.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I've read somewhere that 'Sasha' is a nickname for those with 'Alexandria/Alexander/Alexandra' types of names in Russia. Yuko Kawaguchi's partner Alexander Smirnov is also frequently mentioned as Sasha.
    So obviously she didn't quite pick this name out of the blue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaTurtles View Post
    Here's the video of Sasha talking finance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qndb7wf8PTo
    Won't let me rep again just yet but thank you NinjaTurtles! That's the one-and I really enjoyed it the first time and now the second time around!

As a kid I would've LOVED those blingy pink skates! ♥

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I am a graduate student at Columbia and i teach there and it could not be more wrong what some others said about Sasha being admitted under some special program. It is true there is a back door way into Columbia through the School of General studies. But it does not expect less of students. students take the exact same classes as other Columbia students and they are graded the same way. I, as an instructor, do not know who is GSG and who is not. Some requirements as far as classes are slightly different but they are not in any way separated from the rest of the university.

Mostly older students with unique backgrounds get admitted there. Some of my best students have come from SGS. Indeed, almost all of the students I had from SGS were great students. The students are usually in their mid 20s and really want to be at school so they work very hard. Some of my former students were world class ballerinas, veterans, etc. It is really a perfect program for people like Sasha bc there are other people like herself who accomplished much in another field and now want a high quality education.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    So is this the person seen holding hands with Sasha in a restaurant recently: http://instagram.com/p/VNuendxiaP/

And here he is again with her at Today's Show: http://instagram.com/p/U6VokJRiWL/

And even though the caption here says she is trying to look professional at a Columbia business school conference, she just looks very young and very cute: http://instagram.com/p/VNNjOCxiSC/
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    She looks like Megan Mullally in that last photo.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I was thinking Lisa Loeb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I have this strange feeling that this was published like a year ago. Anyone else?
    Yup. Here's the March 2012 article titled "You can call me Alex: Cohen embraces normalcy" and subtitled "Former Olympic silver medalist plays rugby, studies at Columbia": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Tim Goebel graduated from Columbia through the School of General studies as well - see this
    May 2010 article: http://www.columbiaspectator.com/201...ile-tim-goebel
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-02-2013 at 06:08 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Tim actually influenced Sasha. He has done well for himself with a mathematics degree, and I'm sure his career will continue to grow.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    What does he do for living? Not counting recording inane skating commentary with Jenny Kirk.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    So is this the person seen holding hands with Sasha in a restaurant recently: http://instagram.com/p/VNuendxiaP/

And here he is again with her at Today's Show: http://instagram.com/p/U6VokJRiWL/

And even though the caption here says she is trying to look professional at a Columbia business school conference, she just looks very young and very cute: http://instagram.com/p/VNNjOCxiSC/
    Her comments sure make it seem like they are a couple. He is very handsome!

vCash
    What does he do for living?
    I posted this in another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Via LinkedIn:

Tim Goebel
    Greater New York City Area | Market Research
    Current: Senior Analyst at The Nielsen Company
    Education: Columbia University in the City of New York, Loyola Marymount University
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    An analyst for Nielsen as in Nielsen ratings? Cool. Thanks, Sylvia.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy25 View Post
    Her comments sure make it seem like they are a couple. He is very handsome!
    He is. I hope they are happy and they certainly seem so. Another skater wedding on the horizon?

from Speedy Death

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast