Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

vCash
    I'd like to add another vote for Alexander Abt.

He really got harshed twice by the judges in the 2001-2002 season.

First there was Euros, where even Yagudin knew Abt should have won, and yet somehow...

Then there was the Olympic SP, where he was inexplicably placed fifth, and should definitely have been ahead of Plushenko.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    the second part of bardtobb's message should be considered equally as outrageous....
    Even more so.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    TOTAL EDIT:

I added links to my post. I thought it was interest that Mabel Fairbanks' obituary is available on the UK's Guardian although she was not recognized at the height of her ability.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 01-31-2013 at 06:37 PM.

vCash
    Did Shawn Sawyer ever win a world medal? I always enjoyed watching him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Did Shawn Sawyer ever win a world medal? I always enjoyed watching him.
    IIRC, he went to Worlds only once, in 2006, and finished in 20th (or lower).
    I love him but I don't think he belongs to this thread, he didn't have a consistent 3Axel (2-footed, at best !). But his spins and presence were phenomenal !

YEAH!
    vCash
    Peter Tcherynshev!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    In 2006 he finished 12th at the Olympics and 21st at Worlds.

vCash
    Elizabeth Punsalan and Jerod Swallow. Creative programs (the race cars) good flow and togetherness on the ice. Too bad they skated when TPTB still hadn't accepted North American ice dancers.

I'm sure I can think of other skaters later.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Peter Tcherynshev!
    That's the first name I've agreed with on this thread. Absolutely!

vCash
    I always loved Sebastien Britten's skating. But because of his damn triple axel he never made it higher than 8th at Worlds. But if he could place that high when the quad was becoming big, without even a triple axel, just imagine what he could have done with one!

vCash
    Tchernyshev could have been a world medalist easily with a different partner-- amazing skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Peter Tcherynshev!
    Shame about the partner.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinA View Post
    That's the first name I've agreed with on this thread. Absolutely!
    That's really sad. No respect for so many amazing skaters. You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Oh Eric Millot. Wonderfully bold and powerful moves to the music. He should have won the FS at Worlds 1995, landing two triple axels, but missed the podium because of another poor short (IIRC, which I may not be doing). Loved him.
    Oh, thanks for reminding me of Millot! Loved him too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Janet Champion and Mabel Fairbanks are extreme examples of skaters that were good enough to medal at Worlds or the Olympics but never did.

Janet Champion was declared a professional ineligible for amateur FIGURE SKATING competition because she accepted prize money for SINGING at a faire

Mabel Fairbanks could not join a figure skating club, the only way to get ice time and enter competitions, due to her race, but was trained in secret by Maribel Vinson Owen.
    Singing at fair and she was only 8 years old? That IS outrageous!

I feel for Mabel Fairbanks and all athletes of her race who were denied their chance to shine. Just like in the Women's Baseball League during World War II. African Americans were not allowed to participate. I vaguely remember someone saying - Brian Boitano maybe? - that he always thought the greatest skater ever might have been from Harlem. But he/she never got the chance to skate. Even now the cost of skating at the higher levels is prohibitive-it is a challenge if not impossible for any family of little means irregardless of race.

Punsalan & Swallow. I'll always say they deserved at least a bronze in World and Olympic competition. Politics weren't on their side. They skated in the wrong era.

Laurence Owens. And who knows? Perhaps there were other potential World/Olympic medallists on that fateful flight in '61.

Yamaguchi & Galindo. I believe with all my heart that had they continued they would have made a mark for themselves in pairs skating-and possibly won at the very least bronze at a Worlds or Olympics.

The skaters who would have been at their peak when World and Olympic competitions were cancelled during World War II and never even got to compete at those events. I'm not sure but the same likely happened during World War I.

Abt. Sigh.

Sandhu. Sigh.

Mirai. Sigh. Why do I always love the inconsistent ones?
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 02-01-2013 at 02:26 AM.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    John Misha Petkevich. I'm not familiar with his skating, but I have read he was ahead of his time in musical choices and interpretation. He never placed in the medals at Worlds or Olympics but outside of them in 5th (1969-1971 worlds) and 4th (in 1972 worlds). He was 6th and 5th at the '68 and '72 Olympics respectively. I don't know a thing about his skating, but his television commentary was informative and very classy. I'm not surprised to learn he received a doctorate in cell biology.

Video: John Misha Petkevich - Renaissance Man

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I love him but I don't think he belongs to this thread, he didn't have a consistent 3Axel (2-footed, at best !). But his spins and presence were phenomenal !
    For the record, he also qualified for Worlds in 2011 (finishing 2nd at Canadian Nats) but when the worlds dates were changed due to the tsunami in Japan, he skipped them to do the Canadian Stars On Ice tour instead.

The only competition in which he did a non two-footed triple axel was the 2011 Canadian Nats. I THINK he did one successfully in both the SP and the LP, although he might have put his hand down in the SP.

vCash
    I think Sawyer and Chris Mabee are two great Canadian skaters who I hoped would advance more than they did. I'm not sure about world medals though.

vCash
    It's a shame that Oda can't count. He had his chance a few years ago and I'm afraid he'll never get close again (if he even gets to go to Worlds).

vCash
    Lack of a consistent 3axel meant Sawyer was never medal material but he was a very interesting skater with strong spins and beautiful presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by TwizzlerS View Post
    It's a shame that Oda can't count. He had his chance a few years ago and I'm afraid he'll never get close again (if he even gets to go to Worlds).
    Oda has only himself to blame for repeatedly doing 4 combos. I mean that mistake can happen to anybody but so many times?

I guess he is extremely unlucky in that he's a strong skater who would make the Euros/4CC/Worlds team in pretty much any other country, easily. The level in Japan is just so high, though.

vCash
    Tomas Verner...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast