Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Janet Champion and Mabel Fairbanks are extreme examples of skaters that were good enough to medal at Worlds or the Olympics but never did.

Janet Champion was declared a professional ineligible for amateur FIGURE SKATING competition because she accepted prize money for SINGING at a faire

Mabel Fairbanks could not join a figure skating club, the only way to get ice time and enter competitions, due to her race, but was trained in secret by Maribel Vinson Owen.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 01-31-2013 at 03:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Janet Champion was declared a professional ineligible for amateur FIGURE SKATING competition because she accepted prize money for SINGING at a fair.
    That's outrageous!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Nikodinov? Seriously? She was slow and awkward and it was pretty evident she didn't do enough conditioning.

Rohene Ward - Just couldn't control his nerves. But he was one of the most interesting, unique and elegant skaters ever.

Alexander Abt - Incredibly stunning basics, interesting programs. But too many very serious injuries.

Emanuel Sandhu - Balletic and musical but no work ethic.

Anna Rechnio - Incredible speed and huge jumps but nerves did her in.

Laetitia Hubert - Kooky, interesting skater with huge potential. But again, couldn't control her nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I think if Kerr/Kerr weren't limited to having to skate brother-sister friendly routines they may have won a world medal, even if "only" a bronze.
    The fact they skated outside the box and always showed creative and entertaining programs was actually their biggest forte. What let them down was the technical deficiencies.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    That's outrageous!
    Yes . . . especially since Champion was banned at 8 years old.

vCash
    Yukari Nakano She seems pretty comfortable, all things considered, so I guess I won't feel too sad for her. But still, beautiful skater, beautiful skating, the leg wraps don't even change that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Janet Champion was declared a professional ineligible for amateur FIGURE SKATING competition because she accepted prize money for SINGING at a faire.
    I found this fascinating, so I looked it up, and found this article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

It seems it was athletic, but it's still really harsh.

vCash
    As far as Rohene Ward, although nerves were surely a factor in his inability to break through at U.S. Nationals, I believe the financial support aspect was probably more problematic for him. It seems to me that he needed more financial resources for adequate training and ice time, and to be able to pay for top level coaching. Because of limited training time, Rohene often seemed to lack the endurance needed to be strong throughout his long programs. I used to watch his sectional competitions, and he always seemed to be losing energy toward the end of his skates. Perhaps he would also have benefited from more opportunities to compete under high pressure situations, so the heat of the spotlight during his senior Nationals appearances, might not have been so daunting.

It's great that Rohene is enjoying a successful career in show skating and as a skating choreographer.

vCash
    Nakano would really benefit from the current system of jumps cheated less than 1/2 getting partial value.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I found this fascinating, so I looked it up, and found this article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

It seems it was athletic, but it's still really harsh.
    Thanks for posting the article link. I'd heard of her, but didn't know much about her.

Another great name for a skating Champion.

ETA:
    After checking out the IN article, I have to say that Janet Champion seems to have had a fine life and career as a skater, and she's made (and apparently still making) extraordinary contributions to the sport.

The fact that the divide between amateur and professional was so harsh and strictly enforced during the era in which she grew up simply means that her banning was amateur figure skating's loss and professional figure skating's gain. Janet sure seems enormously happy in all her childhood professional show skating photos.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 01-31-2013 at 07:38 AM.

vCash
    Not mentioned thus far:

Laurence Owen
    John Misha Petkevich
    Gordon McKellen, Jr.
    Scott Davis
    Krisztina Czakó
    Júlia Sebestyén
    Sarah Meier

Haven't yet but possibly might still:

Nobunari Oda
    Tomáš Verner
    Michal Březina
    Alissa Czisny (Hey, if Susanna Driano could do it, why not Czisny?)

Previously mentioned and really should have won a medal at some point:

Eric Millot
    Tatiana Malinina
    Alexander Abt
    Emanuel Sandhu
    Last edited by Vagabond; 01-31-2013 at 08:07 AM.

vCash
    I think Verner's opportunities are no longer as good as they once were, especially in the era of "must have consistent quads!" I love Tomas, and felt he should have won a bronze medal at Worlds the year he placed fourth.

Michal Brezina is a great jumper, but he has become very inconsistent the past two seasons. Right now, despite winning bronze at this year's Europeans, Michal seems to me to be struggling to find his identity on the ice. His short program is meh, and his fp seems like it's been trotted out for three seasons (although this is probably his second season using it).

Oh, I wish Alissa could have medaled at 2011 Worlds (her best opportunity)! Her hip problems may make it tough for her to come back, not to mention the crowded U.S. ladies field and what's being demanded technically these days, which is only seeming to be ratcheted up even further.

Nobunari may become a Dad again before he ever has another opportunity to medal at Worlds. But, anything is possible.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Nikodinov? Seriously? She was slow and awkward and it was pretty evident she didn't do enough conditioning.
    Not when I saw her. She was like Volchkova: she would do a few cross-overs and be down the ice. She just didn't look like she was doing any work.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    John Misha Petkevich
    Oh, yes
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Laurence Owen
    Eys.

vCash
    Laurence Owen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Thanks for posting the article link. I'd heard of her, but didn't know much about her.

Another great name for a skating Champion.

ETA:
    After checking out the IN article, I have to say that Janet Champion seems to have had a fine life and career as a skater, and she's made (and apparently still making) extraordinary contributions to the sport.

The fact that the divide between amateur and professional was so harsh and strictly enforced during the era in which she grew up simply means that her banning was amateur figure skating's loss and professional figure skating's gain. Janet sure seems enormously happy in all her childhood professional show skating photos.
    She really has made some great contributions, including contributing to the Moves in the Field tests, and producing some outstanding skaters as a master coach. Furthermore, she did have an extraordinary professional career. I only brought her up because she was "Good enough to medal at worlds or Olympics, but never did . . ."

Regarding the harshness of the ban, Olympic sports at that time, including skating, primarily consisted of participants that had the attitude that there was no place for you in Olympic sports if it was worth your while to accept money for a performance of any kind.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 01-31-2013 at 08:49 AM.

vCash
    Tatiana Malinina was totally robbed in 1999. She should have beaten Kwan in the SP and easily made the podium.

One of the most impressive jumpers ever.

Julia Sebestyen - I dunno. Her jumps were really high but not very controlled and she wasn't really improving. A World bronze would have been nice though I guess.

Krisztina Czakó - OMG YES!

She was an incredible skater and back during 6.0 era, she didn't get adequate credit from the judges for her 3toe/3toe.

vCash
    I loved Julia Sebestyen between 1999 and 2001. She had nice performances (especially at Euros or 2000 Worlds). Her jumps were high and textbook. And she had great spins, too.

vCash
    Elene Gedevanishvili. She will not win a world medal in this lifetime, but maybe she will be reincarnated with smaller bosoms in her next one. She has great skating talent.

Gedevanishvili 2006 Olympics SP

vCash
    I think that Gedevanishvili is simply an incredible jumper, given her cup size. Her lutz is just huge. I think the reason she will never get a worlds medal is her inability to deal with pressure. She needs a good sport psychologist asap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    That's outrageous!
    the second part of bardtobb's message should be considered equally as outrageous....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast