44 14.43%
  • Takahashi

50 16.39%
  • Joubert

6 1.97%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Add to the discussion that I admire Maya Plisetskaya very much. (Is she still alive?) I have many of her videos....she was amazing ballerina and great artist. I respect what she has to say. I have no doubt she believes Plushenko is everything she said. As much as I respect her opinion, it just isn't mine as well. I am an independent thinker, lala. Just because someone I admire has a belief, that doesn't mean I adopt it so I can align myself with that person's lofty reputation. I would definitely rather watch Plisetskaya dance than Plushenko skate, that's for sure.
    Maya Plisetskaya is still alive. Thank God!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euD6Kz-0gLM Her 80th annyversary, she looks fantastic.
    Plushy's Nininsky was choreographed by Yuri Smekalov, he is dancer and choreographer in Kirov Ballet. He is also fantastic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYtbvdpflGM
    Last edited by lala; 02-06-2013 at 09:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post

b) I wondered about the context of Plushenko's 6.0s. Two reasons. The first is that I see 14 judges giving marks at 2004 Worlds. I only see 9 judges giving marks at the 2002 Worlds. Now, I have no idea how many judges scored each competition for each skater, but wouldn't it be fair to assert that Plushenko, by virtue of having more judges, has more opportunity to rack up the 6.0s? Secondly, is it fair to point out that during the 2003/2004 season, judges were handing out 6.0s more readily than in years past due to it being the last season of the 6.0? If so, I'd argue that it casts a little aspersion on your conclusions

b.) OMG! I don't think this is a good explanation! He received 75 6.0, do you think he received them in 2003/2004???
    Plushy has innate artistry. (Artistry or not enjoyable to watch.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNCw1ZvLRvU listen to Dick Button
    Last edited by lala; 02-06-2013 at 09:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post

I would like to remind you that when Stéphane Lambiel announced his (first) retirement from skating in 2008, Mr. Mishin called him an "outstanding artist and spins genius" and referred to his retirement as an "immense loss" (the translation is from Wikipedia, but I've included the original Russian link for you). Poeta, and some of Lambiel's other programs, are works of art. That he wasn't as consistent a jumper as some doesn't make him a bad skater and it does not make him any less of an artist.
    Of course, I know Mishin's opinion, but I know Lambiel's opinion on Plush, too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    Didn't they post them in "Alexei's facebook and twitter" thread?
    they didn't

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    they didn't
    Maybe not, but I'm pretty sure it was posted somewhere on FSU and that I read them from here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nours View Post
    ... (the presence part, not the handsomeness qualities - which I disagree with anyway for Joubert).

Look at this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhgCIV4PY8c He caused traffic jam in front of the hotel.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Maya Plisetskaya is still alive. Thank God!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euD6Kz-0gLM Her 80th annyversary, she looks fantastic.
    Plushy's Nininsky was choreographed by Yuri Smekalov, he is dancer and choreographer in Kirov Ballet. He is also fantastic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYtbvdpflGM
    So glad she is still with us! I could watch her "Carmen" over and over.

I am very well aware of the Kirov. I am sure Yuri was well paid and it was great publicity for him, but I still don't see any artistic correlation between Plushy and Nijinsky in any way imaginable. Not trying to be unpleasant! Just don't see it. Like I said, he'd be a great Goudonov-even looks a little like him and they are similarly built.

I also despise reorchestrated souped up classical. Yuk. Just a purist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    So glad she is still with us! I could watch her "Carmen" over and over.

I am very well aware of the Kirov. I am sure Yuri was well paid and it was great publicity for him, but I still don't see any artistic correlation between Plushy and Nijinsky in any way imaginable. Not trying to be unpleasant! Just don't see it. Like I said, he'd be a great Goudonov-even looks a little like him and they are similarly built.

I also despise reorchestrated souped up classical. Yuk. Just a purist.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEJXkfMYTX4

From 2:16 These are movements of Nijinsky in Afternoon of a Faun.

vCash
    quote: Nour
    Where did you see animosity ? Should people all be amazed by Marton because he's playing violin on ice ? Maybe it's a matter of tastes again. I personnally hate all the techno reorchestration of classical music. That's not what it was intended to be and I think there's a good reason for it. If you like hearing boumboumboum behind the Moonlight Sonata...
    Their exhibition together are just boring and all the same also for me. Don't see the greatness within. I confess I don't like Gala skating anyway and was talking about Plushenko competitives programs.

Of course you are free to like or dislike whatever, but I certainly don't think the variations of Marton can be called "techno" by any means. Techno is not music but noise and Marton is a classically trained violinist who does not produce "noise". I do not expect anyone to be gaga in admiration of Marton because he's "playing the violin on ice". I merely think all the snarky remarks about Marton's ability are not justified. He's a professional musician who graduated from a traditional Eastern European conservatory; played in various Philharmonic orchestras from a very young age. He is not an improvised member of a rock band. Perhaps you are a classical music purist who dislikes any straying from the traditional path, your right, no discussion. I object to the disparaging remarks which infer that he is a two bit fiddler with no ability.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianFan View Post
    quote: Nour
    Where did you see animosity ? Should people all be amazed by Marton because he's playing violin on ice ? Maybe it's a matter of tastes again. I personnally hate all the techno reorchestration of classical music. That's not what it was intended to be and I think there's a good reason for it. If you like hearing boumboumboum behind the Moonlight Sonata...
    Their exhibition together are just boring and all the same also for me. Don't see the greatness within. I confess I don't like Gala skating anyway and was talking about Plushenko competitives programs.

Of course you are free to like or dislike whatever, but I certainly don't think the variations of Marton can be called "techno" by any means. Techno is not music but noise and Marton is a classically trained violinist who does not produce "noise". I do not expect anyone to be gaga in admiration of Marton because he's "playing the violin on ice". I merely think all the snarky remarks about Marton's ability are not justified. He's a professional musician who graduated from a traditional Eastern European conservatory; played in various Philharmonic orchestras from a very young age. He is not an improvised member of a rock band. Perhaps you are a classical music purist who dislikes any straying from the traditional path, your right, no discussion. I object to the disparaging remarks which infer that he is a two bit fiddler with no ability.
    Marton received Emmy Award in 2006.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEJXkfMYTX4

From 2:16 These are movements of Nijinsky in Afternoon of a Faun.
    Yes...but adopting some arms movements and occasional poses between skateskateskating between jumps here and there does not evoke the essense of one of the greatest dancers who ever lived. Sorry.

vCash
    Instead of all the long hot debate posts I would have stated:
    Plushenko cause he has won sth the rest havent. Eurovision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post

Congratulations, you just won an 8 pages long debates hands down

vCash
    b.) OMG! I don't think this is a good explanation! He received 75 6.0, do you think he received them in 2003/2004???
    Plushy has innate artistry. (Artistry or not enjoyable to watch.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNCw1ZvLRvU listen to Dick Button
    Can you provide a list of competitions and the number of 6.0s he received in each?

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Can you provide a list of competitions and the number of 6.0s he received in each?
    I found this: http://www.kingonice.com/evgeni6-0.htm Only 5 of the 75 were received during the 2003-2004 season internationally. I personally discount the ones from Nationals (too freely given in most countries) and those Marshalls and Campbell's thingies, and a couple of them are for technical merit not presentation. Still, a good haul overall, and surely not all attributable to skate order.

vCash
    Very impressive. Be interesting to compare to other skaters.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I was trying to find Kwan's... she'd be a great comparison since she competed during the same years (starting a bit earlier), but surprisingly, I couldn't find a list of all her 6.0s.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    Can't argue with that I still think it's inexcusable that there was no skating in the intermission show the year after.

Does that mean KvdP wins this decade, as he's won Dancing with the Stars?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    It's very sad that that decade only produced six male skaters of note.

They are all GREAT ...... winning gold in main events.
    For the sake of FUN (ubers don't me), I will only choose ONE to vote on .. tough choice .. and my vote goes to Yag.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I don't get why some people are so obsessed to prove there's something wrong with skaters they don't like. Did I ever like Kwan? Never! But how many times did I reply on Youtube to haters who were bashing her and called her an unworthy skater? Many, many times!
    For example Joubert being a successful skater only because of his looks and nude pictures is insulting anybody's intelligence IMO. To me Joubert is more attractive than Prince Charming yet I don't like him as a skater, but I respect his achievements a lot.
    Not to mention "Plushenko's flailing is ugly but my favorite skaters can flail as much as they want because they are gracious and wonderful"! Please!!!!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast