View Poll Results: Best male skaters of the 2000s

Voters
305. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lysacek

    19 6.23%
  • Plushenko

    77 25.25%
  • Yagudin

    109 35.74%
  • Lambiel

    44 14.43%
  • Takahashi

    50 16.39%
  • Joubert

    6 1.97%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 209
  1. #101
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Career, longevity are not objective facts of being better. Tara Lipinski had a better career than Jenna McCorkell.
    And impact is subjective.
    Well, that kind of choice is personnal and depends on what is more important for us.
    I don't understand your examples.

  2. #102

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    Posts
    3,820
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2089
    Lala, I admire your persistence, but the more you go on and on, the bigger hole you are digging for yourself. If you haven't changed anyone's mind by now, you won't. Yags beat Plush when it counted-at the Olympics, generally perceived as the highest award in figure skating at least in my world, in the only time they went head to head in an Olympic venue. I'll take that, but I don't begrudge you your opinions or want to be unkind.

    I wish you well. However, I'm pretty put off anything to do with Plushenko for awhile. Don't take any PR jobs, lala, but you might make a great lawyer. I mean that kindly. I know a good fighter when I see one. I hope you channel that wonderful sense of "never give up" into something that will mean something significant for your life.

  3. #103
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    You're wasting your time here, Lala. Better go and post on Evgeni's facebook, twitter, website, he really needs our support now. I bet we're more than 100, right?

  4. #104
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Lala, I admire your persistence, but the more you go on and on, the bigger hole you are digging for yourself. If you haven't changed anyone's mind by now, you won't. Yags beat Plush when it counted-at the Olympics, generally perceived as the highest award in figure skating at least in my world, in the only time they went head to head in an Olympic venue. I'll take that, but I don't begrudge you your opinions or want to be unkind.

    I wish you well. However, I'm pretty put off anything to do with Plushenko for awhile. Don't take any PR jobs, lala, but you might make a great lawyer. I mean that kindly. I know a good fighter when I see one. I hope you channel that wonderful sense of "never give up" into something that will mean something significant for your life.
    I replied Proustable.

  5. #105

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,759
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    I don't understand your examples.
    I don't think you understand anyone's examples. Or, for that matter, what the focus of this thread is. You keep insisting that you are "proving" and "disproving" things when all you are doing is presenting the same subjective points over and over. In doing so, you've achieved exactly the opposite of what you've set out to do.

    Which is to say, I should have picked Lambiel or Joubert. And Holley is right: Yagudin won the one that matters.

  6. #106
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I don't think you understand anyone's examples. Or, for that matter, what the focus of this thread is. You keep insisting that you are "proving" and "disproving" things when all you are doing is presenting the same subjective points over and over. In doing so, you've achieved exactly the opposite of what you've set out to do.

    Which is to say, I should have picked Lambiel or Joubert. And Holley is right: Yagudin won the one that matters.
    Yes, for you.

  7. #107
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,945
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    And Holley is right: Yagudin won the one that matters.
    True. Yagudin won most of their battles. This needed a poll for someone to figure out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I don't think you understand anyone's examples. Or, for that matter, what the focus of this thread is. You keep insisting that you are "proving" and "disproving" things when all you are doing is presenting the same subjective points over and over. In doing so, you've achieved exactly the opposite of what you've set out to do.
    So whats the focus of this thread? Because if you read the whole 6 pages at once , it is the 600th thread about Plushenko vs Yagudin with very few exceptions of a post. And it all comes down to personal preference and what the people like/remember/love watching the most, like lets say..Youtube.

    Jenna's husband competed the whole decade and left last Worlds with a great skate. For me Kevin is the best skater of the decade.

  8. #108

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,317
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Thank you, Shine, for that gorgeous, balletic, emotionally uplifting video of Lambiel to Traviata. As someone who works with dancers, he is one of the most balletic, graceful skaters I have ever seen. I think I need to go watch that again a few dozen times-it absolutely lifted my heart!
    Isn't he! And he combines it with such musicality and freedom. I love the way he skates as if with his eyes closed, in his own world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    If i'm not mistaken, the Olympic version of this is also one of the highest scoring step sequences of all time if not the highest. And deservedly so.
    Yes, I might be wrong but I think it is the only serpentine sequence to have received a level 4. I didn't post the Olympic version though because that unfortunately wasn't one of his better performances to Traviata even artistically, as he skated very tight throughout. I didn't post the Euros version either because he fell during the final steps... I wish we had been left with more competition versions of La Traviata because neither of the two did justice to the wonderful program imo.

  9. #109
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    With Daisuke-san
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,714
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    This is my favourite step sequence from 2001-2010 (and of all time, really!), and makes the skater who did it the best skater for me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pss0q...XD8Q6A#t=3m38s
    I love Stephane to death!

  10. #110

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,759
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    So whats the focus of this thread? Because if you read the whole 6 pages at once , it is the 600th thread about Plushenko vs Yagudin with very few exceptions of a post. And it all comes down to personal preference and what the people like/remember/love watching the most, like lets say..Youtube.
    Well, the OP was a troll who wanted to tell us about the greatness of Lysacek, But the thread is about who is the greatest skater of a specific decade, namely, the 2000-1 through the 2009-10 season. I thought Proustable made a good argument about who was strongest in different areas during this timeframe, but Lala has since been quite insistent that Plushenko was always the best, most memorable, most accomplished, most artistic, most beloved etc. etc. Her rationale for this, I'm afraid, is unpersuasive, and it's a turnoff even for people who are inclined to think well of Plushenko.

    I actually did pick Plushenko; I'd vote Yags for best career, not best in a decade in which he only competed for two full seasons. I think a case can also be made for Lambiel and Joubert. Lysacek for me didn't do enough for long enough, while Takahashi's best work, like Yagudin's, spans two separate decades.

    Jenna's husband competed the whole decade and left last Worlds with a great skate. For me Kevin is the best skater of the decade.
    Ha. But he left in a different decade than he started. I'll give him credit for an entertaining K&C reaction to his first Euros bronze.

  11. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

  12. #112
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ciocioworld
    Posts
    578
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I've almost always liked Yagudin more than Plushenko when they were competing together, but what Plushenko did after 2002 was also amazing and memorable to me in terms of programs, accomplishments, etc. So my vote went to him because he competed for seven years between 2000-2010 and did a lot of great stuff.
    And I'm a real Yagudin fan not like those who just use him name to bash Plushenko.

  13. #113
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkhn4KbisJc After this, is anyone's doubt that he is the best? Thread closed.

  14. #114

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,226
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    34903
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkhn4KbisJc After this, is anyone's doubt that he is the best? Thread closed.
    Fine program from Plush, but yes, I have seen better programs from others.

    I don't believe you have the authority to close a thread.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

  15. #115
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Does it matter?
    Posts
    1,175
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    How about lala was joking re Thread closed?

  16. #116

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,759
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    If we did a pairs version of this thread it would be closed - well, ended - pretty quickly, since it is so very obvious that Shen and Zhao should win.

  17. #117

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,226
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    34903
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    How about lala was joking re Thread closed?
    Yes, I realize that. But it seems that this poster has to have the last word about Plush being "the best," won't stop until every FSU poster agrees with her (which will never happen) and it's getting annoying.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

  18. #118
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    452
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Yes, I realize that. But it seems that this poster has to have the last word about Plush being "the best," won't stop until every FSU poster agrees with her (which will never happen) and it's getting annoying.
    It's getting annoying?

    You're so much more patient than I am

    To Lala's defence though, she makes some good points, or at least they open the debate, it's just the "trying to get everyone to agree" bit that's driving people batty
    Last edited by rayhaneh; 02-05-2013 at 10:12 AM.

  19. #119
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Yes, I realize that. But it seems that this poster has to have the last word about Plush being "the best," won't stop until every FSU poster agrees with her (which will never happen) and it's getting annoying.
    I was joking, it seems you lost the sense of humor. That's interesting in other topic " best female skater in 2000th" is the most important argument who has the most tittles. What is this if not double standards?
    Last edited by lala; 02-05-2013 at 03:22 PM.

  20. #120
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    How about lala was joking re Thread closed?
    Thank you, sometimes the people are so annoying...
    Last edited by lala; 02-05-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •