44 14.43%
  • Takahashi

50 16.39%
  • Joubert

6 1.97%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Very impressive. Be interesting to compare to other skaters.
    Plushenko, just like other skaters listed here, had everything he needed to win important competitions. What else does he need, Nours' approval?
    Let's call all of them "best" and close the thread.
    By the way, if Marton's name has been dropped, we should also mention Plushenko's wife, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    Not to mention "Plushenko's flailing is ugly but my favorite skaters can flail as much as they want because they are gracious and wonderful"! Please!!!!
    I always thought one of the most hilarious things after Vancouver were the people saying "Evan's programs were so beautiful and artistic, and Plushenko was just flailing!" I'm all...yeah...you can't have one without the other.

vCash
    [QUOTE=ciocio;3828155]I don't get why some people are so obsessed to prove there's something wrong with skaters they don't like. Did I ever like Kwan? Never! But how many times did I reply on Youtube to haters who were bashing her and called her an unworthy skater? Many, many times!

Hear, hear! Some skaters I follow, some I couldn't care less about. I never watch ladies skating, it leaves me totally indifferent. But I don't find fault with Kostner or the idolized Kwan just because I don't like the ladies nor do I consider those I do like the image of perfection.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nours View Post
    Joubert popularity... I think it's mainly because of his body, nude pictures, 2004-2005 first LP costume, half naked backstages clips, etc (you got it I'd say). Most of the skating fans are women and a lot of them are delighted just by watching him.
    Where can I find them? I WANT TO SEE them! At least Joubert can strip and look good in his birthday suit.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Well, the OP was a troll who wanted to tell us about the greatness of Lysacek, But the thread is about who is the greatest skater of a specific decade, namely, the 2000-1 through the 2009-10 season.
    I don't know much about trolling, how was the OP a troll? Because they said Lysacek was the best of the decade without explaining why they think he was? I've understood Proustable voted for Lysacek by mistake but how about the other 14 people who clicked on Lysacek's name, were they all trolling? Lysacek won a couple of gold medals when it counted, didn't he? And he beat along the way skating skills phenom Chan - who said Lysacek's skating looks labored? It's obviously not true lol -, charismatic performer Joubert, fierce competitor & quad jumper Plushenko and artistic skaters Lambiel, Takahashi and Weir. Lysacek is not a popular skater? I agree, he is not but since when is popularity an indication of greatness? See the Gangnam style versus Beethoven.

Joubert never had a strange haircut or skated Baby Sex Bomb
    No, Joubert didn't but Tomas Verner did and just look at the number of views and Likes for this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...LX4askA#t=117s

What is Brian waiting for to take off his pants? I'm pretty sure he too has some legs to show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    I don't know much about trolling, how was the OP a troll?
    Definite troll.

vCash
    Maybe Lysacek is better than Plush since when it mattered the most, he beat him?

Joubert showed some leg when his costume unstrapped last year at Euros. He was so cool keep skating with it.
    Can't argue with that I still think it's inexcusable that there was no skating in the intermission show the year after.

Does that mean KvdP wins this decade, as he's won Dancing with the Stars?
    Yes yes Kevin wins, I had told my friends to vote for him he was certainly missed in Zagreb.

vCash
    Can't argue with that I still think it's inexcusable that there was no skating in the intermission show the year after.

Does that mean KvdP wins this decade, as he's won Dancing with the Stars?
    No, no, no. Kevin won a national competition. Eurvision is a continental competition. Can Kevin sing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by umronnie View Post
    No, no, no. Kevin won a national competition. Eurvision is a continental competition. Can Kevin sing?

Why? Can Plushenko sing?
    (Dima Bilan cant either but thats another point..)

vCash
    I don't know much about trolling, how was the OP a troll? Because they said Lysacek was the best of the decade without explaining why they think he was? I've understood Proustable voted for Lysacek by mistake but how about the other 14 people who clicked on Lysacek's name, were they all trolling? Lysacek won a couple of gold medals when it counted, didn't he? And he beat along the way skating skills phenom Chan - who said Lysacek's skating looks labored? It's obviously not true lol -, charismatic performer Joubert, fierce competitor & quad jumper Plushenko and artistic skaters Lambiel, Takahashi and Weir. Lysacek is not a popular skater? I agree, he is not but since when is popularity an indication of greatness? See the Gangnam style versus Beethoven.

No, Joubert didn't but Tomas Verner did and just look at the number of views and Likes for this video.

What is Brian waiting for to take off his pants? I'm pretty sure he too has some legs to show.
    Joubert shows his undies in a fluff piece at Eurosport one year. Should be on YouTube somewhereD

vCash
    I don't know much about trolling, how was the OP a troll? Because they said Lysacek was the best of the decade without explaining why they think he was?
    See misskarne's response.

I did not say regular Sex Bomb, I said Baby Sex Bomb. And Brian does not take his clothes off for galas, only for fluffs (just search for Joubert & underwear on Youtube ). Though as senorita noted, he did show some leg at Euros last year

Quote Originally Posted by umronnie View Post
    I'm not sure I want to find out, though it is hardly a prerequisite for winning Eurovision. But here are Joubert's efforts in that respect.

vCash
    See misskarne's response.

I did not say regular Sex Bomb, I said Baby Sex Bomb. And Brian does not take his clothes off for galas, only for fluffs (just search for Joubert & underwear on Youtube ). Though as senorita noted, he did show some leg at Euros last year

I'm not sure I want to find out, though it is hardly a prerequisite for winning Eurovision. But here are Joubert's efforts in that respect.
    Damn! I've already voted for Plushenko, could I change my vote? Brian is the best ever, no doubt!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I remember Joubert stepping off the ice at Calgary Worlds a few years ago and tearing off his shirt on his way backstage. There was actually a collective gasp heard around the arena

Anyway, this contest is over, because the obvious winner is Yagudin. There is no more important measure in skating that an FSU poll.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Anyway, this contest is over, because the obvious winner is Yagudin. There is no more important measure in skating that an FSU poll.
    Someone should make a 'Best male skater of the 2000s except Yagudin/Plushenko' poll .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Yes...but adopting some arms movements and occasional poses between skateskateskating between jumps here and there does not evoke the essense of one of the greatest dancers who ever lived. Sorry.
    No matter, me and many other people think that is pure magic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    For example a post like this http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3824218 is fine, because you're breaking down the different categories in this thread and explaining why you think Plushy wins at them and you are backing that up with evidence, and honestly, you do have more evidence than people who are just like "Lambiel is so awesome " who aren't getting picked on at all. The problem is coming when people post a different opinion and you continue to argue with them about the same points insisting that your view is correct. The reason those posts don't get picked on is because they are not insisting others agree with them.
    I'm not sure if you were hinting at posts that I have made I'm not sure about others, but in all honesty I am definitely capable of writing pages and pages explaining why Lambiel's skating makes me , in precise dissertation form if neccessary. I just try hard to keep my uberdom in check so that I don't turn other posters off like what lala has done Also, not all of us are blessed with infinite time. I mean, I'd rather be spending the limited time that I have watching, for example, my beloved Lambiel videos and sharing them with others who might enjoy them rather than trying to convince other posters in endless debates like this which neither side's opinions will ever be changed.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I'm not sure if you were hinting at posts that I have made I'm not sure about others, but in all honesty I am definitely capable of writing pages and pages explaining why Lambiel's skating makes me , in precise dissertation form if neccessary. I just try hard to keep my uberdom in check so that I don't turn other posters off like what lala has done Also, not all of us are blessed with infinite time. I mean, I'd rather be spending the limited time that I have watching, for example, my beloved Lambiel videos and sharing them with others who might enjoy them rather than trying to convince other posters in endless debates like this which neither side's opinions will ever be changed.
    No, not you or anyone specific, but a bunch of posts early on that are just basically saying "Lambiel is the best, so I voted for him!" Which as I said, is fine. I totally agree with you. It's not really adding anything for substantive debate, just explaining why they voted the way they did. And lala can't expect for everyone to write a post like she did, or to expect that if no one comes up with a similar breakdown of why their choice exceeds Plushy in each category, that it can be said that Plush "won" the thread. It is not necessary and it would be impossible to prove that Lambiel is the most artistic, most awesome, whatever, even though one certainly could make a convincing argument about skating quality by tallying up all his levels/points for spins, the amount of times he got level 4 footwork, breakdown of his PCS, number of quads attempted/landed, firsts on the international level for Switzerland, fan clubs around the world, display of all his beautiful programs over the years, programs he has choreographed for others, participation in shows like Opera on Ice, etc, etc. It can be done, but is not necessary to justify one's opinion. And indeed, if done in an aggressive way, can turn people off.

vCash
    Well Evan is none of:

-The most accomplished skater of the decade. Plushenko and Yagudin both achieved MUCH more this decade than him, and that is with Yagudin achieving a ton the previous decade too and having his career ended way prematurely by injury to boot. His Olympic Gold isnt even an edge on those guys who both won the Olympics in far more spectacular fashion with performance that would have obliterated Vancouver Evan, just as they obliterated the stronger fields they faced those given years.

-The highest level of peak skating of the decade. In this he would probably be dead last. Plushenko, Yagudin, Lambiel, Takahashi, Chan, Joubert, at their best would all beat the Lysacek of Vancouver or 2007 Nationals.

-The biggest impact on skating. In this too he would probably be dead last.

-The best longevity. That would be Joubert.

-The most consistency over the decade. That would be Plushenko when he competed.

-The best technical skills, the best artistic skills, the most dominance, the most medals, the most gold medals. Evan would be none of those things. Heck he has only 4 combined World or Olympic medals his whole career, and something like only 7 total international titles (only 3 regular grand prix wins).

So essentialy there would be absolutely no reason to vote for him other than trolling or extreme fandom. So he beat most of those skaters in one competition? Big deal. Plushenko, Lambiel, Takahashi, Chan, and Joubert have all beaten all those skaters minus Yagudin (who Evan never faced or beat either) in one competition, most of those numerous ones, as well. Beating a really old Plushenko, past his best Lambiel, back from injury and not fully back Takahashi, past his best Joubert, and back from injury and also well before peak years Chan, does not make one of the skater of the decade.

vCash
    Today was the most entertaining debate in this matter.

And Yagudin won the poll. He has 93 votes. Plushy has 67 and so on...
    Tomas Verner:
    "It's without mentioning of Evgeni Plushenko - probably the only one skater in the world, capable alone to filed full arena."
    Brian Orser:
    Plushenko - supertalant. And the fact that he is still willing and able to compete with much younger children, is admirable. What really surprised me in Zagreb - is his refusal to quadruple jump in the short program. Because Plushenko - unbeaten fighter. After that he made at the last European Championships in Sheffield, I became his fan. True. Remember thinking, OK, we have to admit he is a god figure skating, if he can fight like this. It was amazing! I did see him in training - such a calm, even relaxed. But Plushenko knows exactly how to get together when you go to the start. I know that he really wants to come to Sochi, and I can only wish him a full recovery and get in shape. Such men as he pushed all the other forward. This is for my students. They look at him with wide eyes. Besides Plushenko - the kind of person who surrounds the special aura they create around themselves a special atmosphere. And it's impossible to miss.

and so on..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    Why?
    (Dima Bilan cant either but thats another point..)

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast