• Kwan

82 27.89%
  • Cohen

11 3.74%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Best female skater of the 2000-2010 decade

The 2000s saw alot of women who won atleast 2 major events:

Kim- 2010 Olympics, 2009 Worlds, 3 Grand Prix finals, 4 straight World medals
    Kwan- 2002 Olympic bronze, 2001 and 2003 Worlds, 5 straight World medals
    Slutskaya- 2002 Olympic silver, 2006 Olympic bronze, 2 World titles, 3 Grand Prix final titles, 4 overall World medals
    Asada- 2010 Olympics silver, 2 World titles, 3 World medals, 2 Grand Prix final titles
    Arakawa- 2006 Olympic gold, 2004 World gold

So who was overall the best female skater of the 2000s decade starting with fall of 2000 (the start of the 2000-2001 season) and ending with the 2010 World Championships

vCash
    It's five straight world medals for Kim(2007-2011), NINE straight world medals(1996-2004)and five titles(1996, 98, 2000, 2001, 2003) among them for Michelle Kwan, and three GPF titles for Asada(2005, 2008, 2012).
    Last edited by l'etoile; 01-31-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Curiously curious
    vCash
    Why do I feel a sense of deja vu all over again?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    Why do I feel a sense of deja vu all over again?
    Surprised Ando is not up there on the list, another poller with 0 post history?! *Sighs...* For some reason, AndoLysacek seems to makes more sense than KwanLysacek, but that is just me.

Etoile: Yuna also won 3/4 GPF she participated. Mao won 3/7 she entered (not counting 2011 she withdrew), 2 of them she didn't qualify for the finals.

BTW. Latest news from Asia is that Yuna and Michelle will be performing 'Hero' again at the Special Olympics closing ceremony in S.Korea on Feb 5th. It is well worth missing 4CC for imo, to be able to skate with your own hero on home Olympic ice. This will also mark the first public appearance of Michelle on ice since getting hitched! Whoo hooo!! Wonder if Clay likes Korean food! When is the last time Michelle performed in public? I seem to remember it was to some synthetic ice in a mall in Singapore?
    Last edited by os168; 01-31-2013 at 02:55 AM.

vCash
    Kwan because of all her World championship wins and because I prefer her performances to Yu-Na's.

vCash
    It's a tough one for me between Cohen and Mao. I cannot choose.

vCash
    Mao. Huge respect for those 3a she did at Oly 2012.

vCash
    Toss up between Yuna, Kwan and Slutskaya

And WHYYYY Hero? It's such a blah program with blah choreography. I love my 90's mariah cheese but for karaoke, not skating!!

vCash
    My vote went to IRINA!!!

I think Carolina Kostner should be on this poll as a voting option as well!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    My vote went to IRINA!!!

I think Carolina Kostner should be on this poll as a voting option as well!
    Kostner didnt achieve much of note in the 2000s. One sloppy and undeserved World silver, and one World bronze won by default with a so soish skate in a poor event. Her career really took off the last 2 years, but was nothing that distinguishable before that.

I am surprised Kwan is leading this poll, but then again I shouldnt be as polls are just popularity contests anyway, rather than objective measures of any kind of reality. Kwan was really only the 5th best skater of the 2000s based on achievements behind all of Kim, Slutskaya, Asada, and Arakawa.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Kostner didnt achieve much of note in the 2000s. One sloppy and undeserved World silver, and one World bronze won by default with a so soish skate in a poor event. Her career really took off the last 2 years, but was nothing that distinguishable before that.

I am surprised Kwan is leading this poll, but then again I shouldnt be as polls are just popularity contests anyway, rather than objective measures of any kind of reality. Kwan was really only the 5th best skater of the 2000s based on achievements behind all of Kim, Slutskaya, Asada, and Arakawa.
    Achievements eh? Let's just count world and olympic results in the 2000's:

Kim: World Bronze, World Bronze, World Gold, Olympic Gold, World Silver, World Silver
    Slutskata: World Silver, World Silver, World Gold, Olympic Silver, World Gold, Olympic Bronze
    Kwan: World Gold, World Gold, World Silver, Olympic Bronze, World Gold, World Bronze, World 4th
    Asada: World Silver, World Gold, World 4th, World Gold, Olympic Silver, World 6th, World 6th,
    Arakawa: World 8th, World Gold, World 9th, Olympic Gold

Yuna has clearly had the superior world/olympic performance of the bunch, and a strong case would be made for Slutskaya having the second best career based on these results (basically due to one extra olympic medal). But Kwan is a clear front-runner compared to Asada and especially Arakawa. I mean look at what Arakawa did in the 2000's apart from her world and olympic gold....not sure how anyone could ever think she had a better 2000's career compared to Kwan. Unless an OGM is worth more than like 5 other olympic and world medals including a couple more world golds.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Achievements eh? Let's just count world and olympic results in the 2000's:

Kim: World Bronze, World Bronze, World Gold, Olympic Gold, World Silver, World Silver
    Slutskata: World Silver, World Silver, World Gold, Olympic Silver, World Gold, Olympic Bronze
    Kwan: World Gold, World Gold, World Silver, Olympic Bronze, World Gold, World Bronze, World 4th
    Asada: World Silver, World Gold, World 4th, World Gold, Olympic Silver, World 6th, World 6th,

Yuna has clearly had the superior world/olympic performance of the bunch, and a strong case would be made for Slutskaya having the second best career based on these results (basically due to one extra olympic medal). But Kwan is a clear front-runner compared to Asada and especially Arakawa. I mean look at what Arakawa did in the 2000's apart from her world and olympic gold....not sure how anyone could ever think she had a better 2000's career compared to Kwan. Unless an OGM is worth more than like 5 other olympic and world medals including a couple more world golds.......
    The OP seemed to specify the decade starting with the 2000-2001 season, which would exclude the 2000 Worlds. In which case Kwan is clearly the least accomplished of those 5 in the decade, although still more than Cohen.

vCash
    Between Kwan and Kim.
    I'd say YuNa Kim, even if Michelle Kwan is my favorite skater ever.

vCash
    1 yuna kim
    2 michelle kwan
    3 irina Slutskaya
    4 mao asada/Sasha Cohen
    5 arakawa

vCash
    Kostner didnt achieve much of note in the 2000s.
    The OP seemed to specify the decade starting with the 2000-2001 season, which would exclude the 2000 Worlds. In which case Kwan is clearly the least accomplished of those 5 in the decade, although still more than Cohen.
    This poll is not (only) about achievements - at least the author of this thread very probably didn't intend to discuss achievements on an isolated basis. Otherwise the title would have been "most successful female skater" and Mikki Ando or Sarah Hughes should have been listed on this poll rather than Sasha Cohen. But they are not!

vCash
    Okay let's try again:

Slutskata: World Silver, World Gold, Olympic Silver, World Gold, Olympic Bronze
    Kwan: World Gold, World Silver, Olympic Bronze, World Gold, World Bronze, World 4th

Do tell how Kwan's 2000 career is inferior to Arakawa's? 1xWorld Gold and 1xOlympic Gold imo does not match 2xWorld Gold, 1x World Silver, 1x World bronze, 1x Olympic Bronze. Arakawa is basically a 2 trick pony (and a good one at that!) Her next highest world placement is 8th......not exactly more successful than Kwan any way you cut the cake.

Kwan vs. Asada: Both have 2x World Gold in the 2000's, both have 1x World Silver, both have 1x World 4th. Difference is that Asada has 1x Olympic silver and a pair of 6th place finishes. Kwan has 1x World bronze and 1x Olympic silver. Very close call but I'd edge Kwan to #3 based on the extra medal outweighing the silver at Olympics, and Kwan has never finished below 4th at worlds in her 2000's career. 6th is nothing to sneeze at for Mao, but she hasn't put out her best at worlds in a couple years.

Kwan is clearly the least accomplished of the decade though.....No Way.

Arakawa is clearly the least accomplished of the decade, OGM or not.

vCash
    The poll is very close between Kwan and Kim.
    I have Kim first and Slutskaya, Asada and Kwan tied for second. I think its very close between the three though. We are not counting Kim's 2011 world silver and Asada's '11 and '12 world finishes though. They are saying the 2000's decade ecompasses 2000-2001 season ending with the 2009-2010 season. That is part of the 2010's.
    Last edited by Lnt175; 02-03-2013 at 04:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Okay let's try again:

Slutskata: World Silver, World Gold, Olympic Silver, World Gold, Olympic Bronze
    Kwan: World Gold, World Silver, Olympic Bronze, World Gold, World Bronze, World 4th

Do tell how Kwan's 2000 career is inferior to Arakawa's? 1xWorld Gold and 1xOlympic Gold imo does not match 2xWorld Gold, 1x World Silver, 1x World bronze, 1x Olympic Bronze. Arakawa is basically a 2 trick pony (and a good one at that!) Her next highest world placement is 8th......not exactly more successful than Kwan any way you cut the cake.

Kwan vs. Asada: Both have 2x World Gold in the 2000's, both have 1x World Silver, both have 1x World 4th. Difference is that Asada has 1x Olympic silver and a pair of 6th place finishes. Kwan has 1x World bronze and 1x Olympic silver. Very close call but I'd edge Kwan to #3 based on the extra medal outweighing the silver at Olympics, and Kwan has never finished below 4th at worlds in her 2000's career. 6th is nothing to sneeze at for Mao, but she hasn't put out her best at worlds in a couple years.

Kwan is clearly the least accomplished of the decade though.....No Way.

Arakawa is clearly the least accomplished of the decade, OGM or not.
    IMO Asada is clearly ahead. Both have 2 World titles. Asada has a higher Olympic medal. Asada has 2 Grand Prix final titles in the decade to 0 for Kwan, and many more grand prix and international wins. Kwan has 1 more world medal but not nearly enough to overcome all of Mao's other edges. The 6th place finishes for Mao are not in that decade so are irrelevant.

As for Arakawa it all depends on the value attached to Olympic Gold I guess.

vCash
    IMO Asada is clearly ahead. Both have 2 World titles. Asada has a higher Olympic medal. Asada has 2 Grand Prix final titles in the decade to 0 for Kwan, and many more grand prix and international wins. Kwan has 1 more world medal but not nearly enough to overcome all of Mao's other edges. The 6th place finishes for Mao are not in that decade so are irrelevant.

As for Arakawa it all depends on the value attached to Olympic Gold I guess.
    I would definitely not argue Asada being ahead, that one is basically a judgement call since they're very close.

Arakawa would be a forgotten skater for the most part had she not won that Olympic Gold, her career apart from her two big wins is less than stellar compared to the big names in this list. I think an Olympic gold certainly means more than a world gold, but I can't see it being worth the equivalent of more than a few world medals. Expecially when her next highest world finish apart from the gold is a meager 8th. The results of the poll speak for themselves on here, she's just not as popular.

If Arakawa has had a better career than Kwan in the 2000's then maybe Hughes should be on this poll too......her Olympic Gold medal might justify her as having a better 2000's career than Kwan..

vCash
    Arakawa is basically the female Lysacek. A 2 event wonder and an otherwise very mediocre career. The only difference being atleast her skating is far more spectacular, beautiful, and high quality than his.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast