Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    5th place for Long in Slovakia (although it was an extremely tough field)...I wonder if she'll still go to Belarus or not. Normally I'd say no but there aren't many options amongst the subs: Chen and Bell already have second assignments, Cain is doing Nebelhorn that weekend, Lam has Finlandia the weekend after, Keiser and Miller's injury statuses are up in the air, and Wang is in Belarus Poland the weekend before.
    I made a correction above.

POL: Wang (her 1st), Bell (her 2nd)
    BLR: Edmunds (her 2nd), Long (I think she could merit a 2nd based on her 100+ FS today)
    CZE/EST: Wang (her 2nd if she does well enough in POL); other listed subs are: Hannah Miller (if ready), Amber Glenn, Tyler Pierce, Kiri Baga, Leah Keiser.

Re. pairs:
    Zaitsev/Stevens (8th in LAT) - their provisional assignment to BLR seems set based on his recent tweet.
    Liu/Perini (5th in SVK today) and Budd/Cheban (7th) both are provisionally assigned to CZE and will likely go.
    Aaron/Settlage's first JGP will be BLR and they are provisional for EST, along with Dai/Fishman N5. Takai/Johnson N4 are listed as alternates.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-15-2013 at 01:11 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    USFS confirmed the Minsk entries today and they're the same as on the ISU site: Edmunds, Long, Nathan Chen, Howe, Aaron/Settlage, Zaitsev/Stevens, McNamara/Carpenter, and Patsis/Johnson

On another note, I really hope Tyler Pierce gets to go to either Ostrava or Tallinn after her solid showing in SLC. She did much better than Amber Glenn, who is on the ISU site for Ostrava atm.

Title-less
    vCash
    I am surprised Long got a second JGP despite being 5th in the last one. (Not that I disagree necessarily, since it was a tough field).

vCash
    ^ Just guessing, but maybe they had to apply for her visa beforehand (everyone except CIS citizens needs visas for Belarus) and so there wasn't enough time to wait and see how everyone did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I am surprised Long got a second JGP despite being 5th in the last one. (Not that I disagree necessarily, since it was a tough field).
    If there were a lot of other really strong girls in line that hadn't got an assignment yet, then I would say spread the wealth, but all the girls who medaled at their 1st events have already been assigned a 2nd, Miller is just coming off an injury, there is still room for Wang to get a 2nd event if she does well in Poland, and the girls on the alternates list aren't that strong and likely would not fair as well as Long anyways. So I think it's fine.

That being said, it looks like Mids this season will be a bit of a bloodbath, as it looks unlikely that either Long or Bell will qualify for JGPF, let's hope Flatt is competing at PACs instead, Baga at Easterns, and Czisny at Ice Challenge otherwise a number of strong ladies will not be at Nationals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    If there were a lot of other really strong girls in line that hadn't got an assignment yet, then I would say spread the wealth... So I think it's fine.
    I feel the same way. Plus Long did win a silver medal last year but didn't end up getting a second event, so it's a little bit of retroactive justice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    I feel the same way. Plus Long did win a silver medal last year but didn't end up getting a second event, so it's a little bit of retroactive justice.
    True. And her FS was pretty good last week. Not amazing, but probably stronger than what we'd see from Glenn, Pierce, Keiser, or Baga (who I believe was assigned a senior B anyways, Lam definitely was). Plus Glenn and Pierce are very young so they have plenty of time to do JGPs in the future. Plus Long could be an alternate for the JGPF if she does well in Belarus, if she's 1st alternate then she might even get to compete.

vCash
    Baga has not officially received an international assignment yet, AFAIK. I hope both Amber Glenn and Tyler Pierce will gat a JGP, plus Hannah Miller, too, if she's ready.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Title-less
    vCash
    Based on Wang's second place at her first jgp she'll get another. So if the remaining slots go to Baga, Glenn and Miller then Pierce won't get one. I hope Pierce does get one. Her short is rock solid and her long is improving. (eta though I hate to think that means bumping someone like Baga)
    Last edited by jlai; 09-21-2013 at 03:03 AM.

vCash
    Baga is almost 19 I'm surprised she's even interested in competing at a JGP at this point. Plus she's in college full-time now, her name might have been on the subs list from over the summer and if she ends up getting an international assignment, it will likely be a senior B as both Cain and Lam, who also were listed as substitutes for some of the earlier JGPs, have been given other assignments instead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    re Melnyk. Has he competed his lp yet?
    I'm not sure if he has. No LP score is listed on Unseen Skaters, but not all club competitions publish their results. If he doesn't meet the competition readiness requirements (having competed both programs at least 35 days before the event), then I wonder why USFS has kept listing him as an alternate for the events.

Regardless, most of the junior men are competing for experience, not medals. One assignment per skater should be sufficient for that purpose. Phengsy's, and arguably Ma's, provisional second assignments should go to someone else: Hiwatashi if he's recovered, Melnyk if he's met the requirements, or Vrdoljak (Phengsy's only because he's solely a sub for JGP #7).

vCash
    I wonder why USFS hasn't posted the Ostrava entries yet :-/ The skaters must know since they presumably leave on Monday.

ETA: They're now up, with Angela Wang (shifted from her provisional Estonia assignment) and Amber Glenn (first international) for the ladies, Liu/Perini, Lewis/Bye, the Parsons and no men.

Maybe this means that Hannah Miller and Tyler Pierce will be the ladies in Tallinn?
    Last edited by Stephanie; 09-26-2013 at 05:14 PM.

vCash
    Amber Glenn was excited and prematurely tweeted a photo of herself wearing her first Team USA jacket a few days ago : "I can't wait to represent the US in Czech Republic!! Thank you @USFigureSkating for this amazing opportunity!" http://pic.twitter.com/3iYB0EC4M1

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Maybe this means that Hannah Miller and Tyler Pierce will be the ladies in Tallinn?
    Hope so!

vCash
    Why would they shift Wang to JGP#6? Now she has to face Proklova and Sotskova; making the final is now that much more difficult.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by her grace View Post
    Why would they shift Wang to JGP#6? Now she has to face Proklova and Sotskova; making the final is now that much more difficult.
    and made Sakhanovich chance of winning gold in Talinn and getting into JGPF much easier
    4th and gold beats a silver and bronze

one of those stupid ideas I guess

vCash
    I would like to seen Tyler Pierce get a JGP event. Barbie Long only finished 5th in her first event and skated a terrible SP today. I don't see why they would waste a spot and give Kira Baga a JGP assignment they should use the spot for new talent who need the experience not a nearly 19 year old who will age out soon.

Title-less
    vCash
    Are Omori and Phengsy (and Pierce and Miller) going to the last jgp as indicated on ISU's page? I don't see anything listed for that event on USFSA's page

vCash
    My hearsay info is that Shotaro Omori and Tyler Pierce are both going to EST (both are coached by Tammy Gambill; it would be her JGP debut), along with Hannah Miller. I hope Tomoki Hiwatashi (he had to WD due to injury in Mexico City) gets to go as well.

ETA: The ISU's standings pages currently show Moore/Klaber (bronze in SVK) and Biechler/Dodge in dance and Aaron/Settlage (silver in BLR) and Budd/Cheban in pairs for EST. it would be the JGP debut for B/D if they go.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-29-2013 at 01:31 AM.

Title-less
    vCash
    Thx, Sylvia!

vCash
    The ISU updated the entries again yesterday: only one man (Omori) and one dance team (Moore/Klaber) plus Pierce, Miller, Budd/Cheban, and Aaron/Settlage

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast