Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Based on the Riga results Chen should get a second assignment whereas Siraj should not. I wonder if Chen will take Siraj's "place" in Gdansk where she would face Medvedeva again as well as Angela Wang. I know she's a placeholder for Minsk but there are still 8 girls who could earn second assignments and USFS may not be able to wait another week to decide who goes to Poland.

ETA: The JGP standings published today show Baga, Glenn, and Pierce listed as subs for Ostrava whereas Cain and Lam are not
    Glad to see the 3 new alternates listed - Baga's 100+ FS at Cranberry Open and Glenn's ambitious jump content in summer competitions merit both of them being added, IMO.
    ETA: Novice ladies champ Tyler Pierce is scheduled to compete this weekend at Golden West (live stream link is posted in both Kiss and Cry and TV Alerts forum).

Chen definitely will get a second JGP and I agree with Stephanie that it might be smart to move her earlier than #5 Minsk.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-31-2013 at 10:36 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    The depth of talent and difficulty predicting how skaters will do always makes JGP selection such a crap shot in my mind. I "get" why people would surmise that Siraj could "lose" her second slot but I seriously hope that she does not. She could come back in a second event and land on the podium IMO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    I "get" why people would surmise that Siraj could "lose" her second slot but I seriously hope that she does not. She could come back in a second event and land on the podium IMO
    I enjoyed both if Siraj's programs from s choreographic standpoint (especially her short) but with so many good, worthy skaters yet to receive an assignment, I hope someone else gets shot and some valuable international experience.

vCash
    I wonder why only 1 pair entry to start the season? With the junior world championship title in hand, the US would be "eligible" to send as many as 3 pair teams to an event. I remember the days when Delilah's teams ruled the JGP and she practically had half the field at Junior Grand Prix Final

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    I wonder why only 1 pair entry to start the season? With the junior world championship title in hand, the US would be "eligible" to send as many as 3 pair teams to an event. I remember the days when Delilah's teams ruled the JGP and she practically had half the field at Junior Grand Prix Final
    I don't think there are as many age eligible teams this year, plus there is an additional event offering a pairs competition (5 instead of 4 for the last few years) so more spots to be filled.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    The U.S. has 6 age-eligible pair teams listed in the ISP (the 7th, Denney/Frazier, are still age-eligible but have moved up to Senior Grand Prix).

4 of the 6 have been assigned to the JGP so far: Zaitsev/Stevens N1 (LAT & provisionally assigned to BLR), Liu/Perini J4 and Budd/Cheban N2 (both MEX & provisionally assigned to CZE), Aaron/Settlage J3 (BLR). Takai/Johnson N4 and Dai/Fishman N5 are listed as alternates.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Title-less
    vCash
    As mentioned in the jgp thread, Chen is doing the third jgp, replacing Keiser. Lam is doing a sr B, so the last spot may be between Pierce and Glenn. Going by summer results I vote for Glenn.
    Smart move for USFS to assign some sr Bs to skaters like Cain and Lam and moving Chen up to replace Keiser!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Kiri Baga & Amber Glenn are now both listed for JGP #6 in CZE but it shouldn't be considered "official" until it shows up on USFS' International Assignments page.

U.S. ladies listed on ISU site:
    SVK: Chen (her 2nd assignment), Long
    POL: Siraj (still provisional?), Wang
    BLR: Edmunds, Long (both still provisional?)
    CZE: Baga, Glenn (still to be confirmed)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-05-2013 at 04:33 PM.

vCash
    I was very impressed with Mariah Bell last season and this season's short program (JGP Mexico) is also very likable (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DClp-Uxfkw). Although we have seen a lot of Flamenco music and fake snappiness and attitude being tossed around over the years, this program is well choreographed and Bell sustains the style and matched the music details in her moves during the entire program. Take any ten-second segment out of the performance and it is recognizable as Flamenco. Very mature and precise for a young skater.

vCash
    Did I miss this? Is Hannah Miller injured or not doing jgp?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Hannah Miller originally was scheduled for #5 Belarus but her name was removed recently (probably because she is not ready to compete at the desired level yet).

Originally posted in the 2013 Skate Detroit thread in late July:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    My unofficial hearsay info is that Hannah Miller had minor surgery on her foot and is hoping to return to the ice soon.
    Jun Y, I've cross-posted your Mariah Bell comment both in the U.S. Ladies news thread in GSD and the general discussion thread here in the Trash Can: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3988941
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-07-2013 at 03:06 PM.

vCash
    Mariah looks and skates like such a lady now it's hard to believe it's been over two and half years since i first saw her as a tiny tot as a Novice at Nationals. She had that "watch me" gene right out out of the gate. If only she could land her jumps which is holding her back.

Title-less
    vCash
    Bell and Edmunds will get a second jgp, I guess.
    Since Miller is not ready that literally opens up one spot and another spot (which would have gone to Miller had she medalled in her first jgp), and Siraj isnt gonna get assigned again, so it looks like Glenn and Baga are likely to be confirmed to go

eta: According to the JGP forums, Miller is provsionally slotted for JGP #7. Interesting.
    Last edited by jlai; 09-08-2013 at 04:18 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Mariah looks and skates like such a lady now it's hard to believe it's been over two and half years since i first saw her as a tiny tot as a Novice at Nationals. She had that "watch me" gene right out out of the gate. If only she could land her jumps which is holding her back.
    Progress! Mexico City FS - 5 triples

Title-less
    vCash
    I wonder if HIWATASHI gets another shot at a jgp (if healthy). With Moeller and Ma not finishing in top six in the first jgp, there should now be more provsional spots available.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Re-posting from the JGP Entries thread in Kiss and Cry:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    USFS just confirmed their Gdansk entries as Wang, Bell, Moeller, Krentz, Hawayek/Baker and Pogrebinsky/Gudis.

Personally I'm a bit surprised that Moeller is getting a second assignment but I guess there aren't many age-eligible men out there.
    Yes, there aren't as many JGP-eligible U.S. men as there are ladies this year.

vCash
    The ladies selection has been nothing short of brilliant this season; props to this configuration of the international selection committee.

I wonder what they'll do with Long's provisional second assignment if she doesn't move up here. There aren't a lot of ladies to choose from on the sub list for that JGP. So it could remain Long, Siraj could get that one as her second assignment, or they could give it to Lam to get her on the Season's Best list.

I also hope they'll keep spreading the wealth in the men's assignments. It would be nice for Melnyk and/or Vrdoljak to make their JGP debut.

Title-less
    vCash
    I agree that USFS did a good job with jgp ladies so far.
    re Melnyk. Has he competed his lp yet?

vCash
    5th place for Long in Slovakia (although it was an extremely tough field)...I wonder if she'll still go to Belarus or not. Normally I'd say no but there aren't many options amongst the subs: Chen and Bell already have second assignments, Cain is doing Nebelhorn that weekend, Lam has Finlandia the weekend after, Keiser and Miller's injury statuses are up in the air, and Wang is in Belarus the weekend before.

vCash
    What about Edmunds? Surely she needs a 2nd event.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast