Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Title-less
    vCash
    I didnt see Pierce in the jr ladies results in Glacier Falls, so my guess is no jgp for her -- for now.

Would be nice if Ashley Shin is added to the isp pool but we will see what happens in the lp in Glacier falls

Title-less
    vCash
    Keiser didn't look so great in Glacier Falls. Hope she does better next comp.
    I counted about 12 ladies who may end up with a jgp, and if Pierce is not doing a summer comp and Keiser is not ready for whatever reason (and without national ranking), A Glenn may end up with one after all.

vCash
    Polina Edmunds, Mariah Bell, Tomoki Hiwatashi (men) and Lewis/Bye will debut on the JGP in Mexico City; Nathan Chen and Hawayek/Baker are the returning skaters. The alternates remain the same as listed earlier: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3964708

Daniel Samohin (Novice 4th at 2013 U.S. Nationals) is still listed in USFS' International Selection Pool (ISP), but has switched to representing ISR in the Mexico City JGP.

Selena Zhou won the Junior Ladies Final Round at Skate Detroit, scoring 100.95 in the FS. Her jumps were: 2A+3T(-), 3Lz, 3Lo, 3F+2T+2Lo, 3Lz+2T, 3F, 3S. She won the U.S. Challenge Skate invitational in Salt Lake over Polina Edmunds last Sept. but didn't qualify in Junior Ladies out of Pacific Coast Sectionals for 2013 Nationals. Based on her performances this summer, she could be considered for the ISP (although it's unlikely, with so many age-eligible ladies already listed in the ISP).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-05-2013 at 03:11 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I wonder if Miller will get a spot at all since it's been reported that she is (was?) in a cast. Hopefully, she'll recover in time because she deserves one!

I'm also hoping that Keiser's name is just a placeholder in the Slovakia entries; she hasn't done anything this summer season to justify a JGP selection and she wasn't at nationals either. Let the other girls, e.g., Lam, Glenn, and Cain, go first!

vCash
    I'd prefer some of the younger girls get a shot Like Karen Chen then someone like Vanessa Lam who is probably going to end up aging out of Juniors since she's hasn't done anything to get any events as a Senior internationally and seems to have not progressed in the last couple of years.

vCash
    I posted this last week in the U.S. Ladies news thread in GSD and forgot to cross-post here:
    Karen Chen will make her JGP debut in Riga, Latvia at the end of this month - her name has replaced Angela Wang's in the ISU entry list. Hopefully Wang will show up at a later JGP.
    JGP #3 (Kosice, Slovakia) entries, published today, are: Shotaro Omori, Nix Phengsy (his JGP and international debut); Leah Keiser, Barbie Long; Chelsea Liu/Devin Perini and Kaitlin Budd/Nikita Cheban (both debuting in pairs); Rachel and Michael Parsons and Holly Moore/Daniel Klaber in dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Daniel Samohin (Novice 4th at 2013 U.S. Nationals) is still listed in USFS' International Selection Pool (ISP), but has switched to representing ISR in the Mexico City JGP.
    Samohin's name now has been removed from the ISP.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-12-2013 at 07:45 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Chen is going to Latvia (replacing Angela Wang). I can't see Vanessa Lam going very far as a senior with her jump technique - there's no way she'll ever be able to land a 3-3 - but I think Cain deserves a spot more than Keiser does. Cain has landed 3f-3t in at least one of her summer competitions and should score well component-wise.

I really don't see how USFS can think a skater who scores 32 in the SP and 64 in the FS (Keiser) is competition-ready for a JGP

vCash
    FWIW, I heard the assignments for the first 3 JGPs were made well before Glacier Falls (they were accidentally published online by USFS on June 3rd and then removed).

vCash
    FWIW, I heard the assignments for the first 3 JGPs were made well before Glacier Falls (they were accidentally published online by USFS on June 3rd and then removed).
    That makes sense (I remember them being accidentally published ) but IMHO if an athlete cannot prove that he/she's ready for that assignment, which USFS apparently requires them to do 35 days or so pre-compatition, then someone else who is ready should get the opportunity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    That makes sense (I remember them being accidentally published ) but IMHO if an athlete cannot prove that he/she's ready for that assignment, which USFS apparently requires them to do 35 days or so pre-compatition, then someone else who is ready should get the opportunity.

Title-less
    vCash
    It looks like Hicks and Cain are not doing jgp (Cain and Hicks doing Sr B ) and Pierce hasn't done a summer comp (so no jgp?). For JGps, the only jgp eligible skaters yet unassigned are Miller, Lam and Glenn, with Glenn not on the JGP subs list. So I guess the most likely skater to miss out on JGP is A Glenn (followed by Lam).
    A bit surprised Miller has yet to be assigned but maybe she's still recovering

vCash
    Pierce is scheduled to compete at Golden West August 29-Sep 1, so could still get one of the last JGPs if a spot opens up (and if she skates well at Golden West!)

vCash
    Lam is also skating at Golden West.

vCash
    Since Tammy Gambill currently coaches Keiser, Lam, Pierce, and Karen Chen, I imagine she is keeping USFS informed re. her skaters' competition readiness for a JGP (Omori is her 1 JGP man who is assigned to SVK).

ETA the JGP #4 (Gdansk, Poland) published entries:

31 Brian KRENTZ USA (his 1st assignment/Team USA debut!)
    32 Jordan MOELLER USA (Latvia)
    Nathan CHEN USA S
    Tomoki HIWATASHI USA S
    Spencer HOWE USA S
    Jimmy MA USA S
    Oleksiy MELNYK USA S
    Shotaro OMORI USA S
    Nix PHENGSY USA S

31 Yasmin SIRAJ USA (Latvia)
    32 Angela WANG USA (shifted here from Latvia)
    Mariah BELL USA S
    Ashley CAIN USA S (assigned to her 1st Sr. B, Nebelhorn Trophy)
    Karen CHEN USA S
    Polina EDMUNDS USA S
    Leah KEISER USA S
    Vanessa LAM USA S
    Barbie LONG USA S
    Hannah MILLER USA S

20 Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA (ETA: Mexico)
    21 Elliana POGREBINSKY / Ross GUDIS USA (Latvia)
    Julia BIECHLER / Damian DODGE USA S
    Chloe LEWIS / Logan BYE USA S
    Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER USA S
    Holly MOORE / Daniel KLABER USA S
    Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS USA S
    Tory PATSIS / Joseph JOHNSON USA S
    Sammi WREN / Alexey SHCHEPETOV USA S
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-20-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: to edit in Stephanie's correction! :)

vCash
    What does the USFS look for when assessing competition readiness? Leah Keiser finished something like 14th at Glacier Falls. Even if the assignments were chosen before that comp, That kind of result does not seem international comp ready to me.

vCash
    20 Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA (Latvia)
    Mexico

vCash
    Re-posting from the JGP Entries thread in Kiss and Cry:

JGP #5 Minsk, Belarus entries were published today - first assignments of the season for Hannah Miller, Spencer Howe (debut), Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage in pairs, Tory Patsis/Joe Johnson (debut) in ice dance. Howe was scheduled to make his JGP debut last year in Lake Placid but had to WD due to injury. The other listed skaters (Karen Chen, Jimmy Ma, Zaitsev/Stevens, McNamara/Carpenter) are competing in Riga, Latvia, this week so their 2nd assignment may still be provisional.

Listed alternates not yet assigned to a JGP: Vanessa Lam, Oleksiy Melnyk (N2), Takai/Johnson (N4) and Dai/Fishman (N5) in pairs, Biechler/Dodge (J9) and Wren/Shchepetov (N3) in dance.

Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I am surprised the US assignments are announced so fast for the later jgps. By the looks of it, Glenn and Pierce (if she dies a summer comp soon) have next to zero chance of getting jgps. Not sure if Lam just wants to focus on school during Sept, but she may just end up with one or none
    Lam's Team USA bio on IN says "Harvard University (2018)" so I think she is deferring college until next fall.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-26-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Title-less
    vCash
    Challenge Skate seems to be the go-to competition for skaters with no jgp, so I guess Pierce and Glenn will have no jgp at all because they will be in Salt Lake city
    Last edited by jlai; 08-29-2013 at 03:54 AM.

vCash
    Based on the Riga results Chen should get a second assignment whereas Siraj should not. I wonder if Chen will take Siraj's "place" in Gdansk where she would face Medvedeva again as well as Angela Wang. I know she's a placeholder for Minsk but there are still 8 girls who could earn second assignments and USFS may not be able to wait another week to decide who goes to Poland.

ETA: The JGP standings published today show Baga, Glenn, and Pierce listed as subs for Ostrava whereas Cain and Lam are not

vCash
    Chen deserves another assignment. Why waste one on someone like Baga or Lam? These skaters have been around forever and have stagnated in their skating. Chen can only get better. It's just like back in 2011 when Gold was tearing up the summer competitions but still only got one JGP while Ashley Cain got another event after finishing a poor 6th place in her first competition.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast