Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

US Skaters for 2013 Skate America spots

Since I am always looking forward to the next season, the one thing on my mind is which sub top-24 skaters from Nationals should/could end up at Skate America. Here is my analysis- feel free to add your own!

Men- Alexander Johnson has to be the clear choice for a spot. His free skate was fantastic, and he put out a great free last year, too. I imagine the top 6 (Aaron, Miner, Abbott, Farris, Rippon, Dornbush) will all end the year at or close to top-24 status so they shouldn't need help getting GP spots. Unfortunately for Alex, there is always the Weir and Lysacek factor to consider, because sometimes, they actually show up. Still, I will hold out hope...

Pairs- My big hope is for the wonderful new team of Kayne/O'Shea. I was also super impressed by Leng/Leduc and Baga/Toth. The way things worked this past season with all the injuries and splits, I think Davis/Ladwig, Denney/Frazier, and Donlan/Speroff will be ok to get a spot or two even if they're outside of the top 24. I have hope for Zhang/Bartholomay to score well at 4CC also. Of course, Rockne and whichever new partner could factor in also if they are ready by summer/fall comps. I think Calalang/Sidhu, Simpson/Blackmer, and Pfund/Reiss all age out of juniors too, but at the moment I am significantly less impressed with all of them than our lower ranked senior pairs, and just think they need more time to bake or whatever. But the former two have another shot at a higher SB at Junior Worlds, so good luck to them!

Ladies- a lot will depend on Junior Worlds. I really want to see all 3 of Hicks, Siraj, and Cesario make the leap up to senior GP, and if any fail to achieve top-24 scores, then they will have to hope for SA. I also imagine Alissa Czisny will get a SA spot if she wants one. And we can never forget Rachael Flatt... The others- Wagner, Gold, Gao, Nagasu, Zawadzki, should all be fine with their ISU PB's. I am sure whatever happens, there will be a ton of hang-wringing and endless discussion...

Dance- I guess whichever of the Cannuscio teams, Olson/Hubbell, or Aronow/Brubaker look best at Lake Placid, and Aldridge/Eaton and K/G-S are also in the 20-30 range and could need a spot.
    Last edited by haribobo; 01-30-2013 at 02:56 AM.

vCash
    Johnson is great but he might lose out to Brown, who'll surely get one, and the USFSA might use SKAM to get him a second. There just aren't enough spots to go round!

vCash
    Jason might be able to get 2 on his own if he medals at JW and improves his present SB into the top 25, which he is definitely capable of doing, his current SB is far below his scoring potential but I think his WS is already top 25, so he might not need SKAM. Plus aren't there usually 2 host picks anyways?

vCash
    There are two host picks, but I think the 3 spots will be assigned to Max, Johnny, and Evan at first anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    There are two host picks, but I think the 3 spots will be assigned to Max, Johnny, and Evan at first anyway.
    This irritates me. Why the hell should Weir and Lysacek get preference over the skaters who actually bothered to show up to Nationals?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    This irritates me. Why the hell should Weir and Lysacek get preference over the skaters who actually bothered to show up to Nationals?
    Because they are more famous and bankable for the USFSA? (and that way, their tv ads wouldn't look like they are 4 years old or something )

Btw, I don't condone it at all (especially since I absolutely loved Johnson's skating at US Nats), but I can totally see that happening.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post
    (and that way, their tv ads wouldn't look like they are 4 years old or something )

Unfortunately, so can I. I'd much rather see Johnson get a shot on the big stage than Lysacek or Weir.

vCash

I don't see Johnny and Evan both at this event. They won't want to go head to head that early.

vCash
    I hardly doubt Johnny and Evan are worried about one another at this point as much as Patrick, Javier, Evgeny, Amodio, Takahashi, Hanyu... Johnny vs. Evan is not a thing anymore, not even close.

vCash
    Usually the reigning US champs get automatic invites to Skate America, no? Sometimes they decline or ask for later assignments, for health/training reasons.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Johnson is great but he might lose out to Brown, who'll surely get one, and the USFSA might use SKAM to get him a second. There just aren't enough spots to go round!
    Brown still has a year of Junior eligibility left... given that he's going to also be moving, and starting college, it wouldn't be an enormous surprise if he stayed junior and decided to wait and make a splash in seniors after all the 2014 skaters retire. He and his coach seem to be taking a "slow and steady" strategy so far.

I love both Brown and Johnson, so I'd be happy to see either of them at Skate America. But Brown has competitive options that Johnson doesn't.

vCash

I hardly doubt Johnny and Evan are worried about one another at this point as much as Patrick, Javier, Evgeny, Amodio, Takahashi, Hanyu... Johnny vs. Evan is not a thing anymore, not even close.
    Egos are fragile. They won't both be there. Plus USFS won't want to give up the marketing options they would when one looses to the other

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I actually question whether USFS would OFFER a spot to both Lysacek and Weir. Yeah, they would probably offer Lysacek one (he's the reigning gold medalist), but I'm not sure at this point they'd want to 'waste' the spot on either of them without some written-in-stone guarantees they'll be at Nationals with bells on unless they get a limb amputated.

vCash
    Max Aaron is #38 on the ISU World Standing list. If he skates as well at 4CC as he did at Nationals, he will zoom up into the top 24; another good performance at Worlds should keep him there. And scores over 220 at 4CC or Worlds would put him in the top 24 on the Seasons Best list as well.

Aside from all that, Max could easily finish in the top 12 at Worlds, which would guarantee him two GP events anyway. So USFS wouldn't need to give up a host spot for him.

I would love to see Alex Johnson get a host spot at SA.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I'd love to see Alex too. But even more, I'd like to know where SA will be.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    esp considering they are unlikely to show up except in the broadcast booth
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I'd love to see Alex too. But even more, I'd like to know where SA will be.
    ^ This
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Since I am always looking forward to the next season, the one thing on my mind is which sub top-24 skaters from Nationals should/could end up at Skate America. Here is my analysis- feel free to add your own!

Men- Alexander Johnson has to be the clear choice for a spot. His free skate was fantastic, and he put out a great free last year, too. I imagine the top 6 (Aaron, Miner, Abbott, Farris, Rippon, Dornbush) will all end the year at or close to top-24 status so they shouldn't need help getting GP spots. Unfortunately for Alex, there is always the Weir and Lysacek factor to consider, because sometimes, they actually show up. Still, I will hold out hope...

Pairs- My big hope is for the wonderful new team of Kayne/O'Shea. I was also super impressed by Leng/Leduc and Baga/Toth. The way things worked this past season with all the injuries and splits, I think Davis/Ladwig, Denney/Frazier, and Donlan/Speroff will be ok to get a spot or two even if they're outside of the top 24. I have hope for Zhang/Bartholomay to score well at 4CC also. Of course, Rockne and whichever new partner could factor in also if they are ready by summer/fall comps. I think Calalang/Sidhu, Simpson/Blackmer, and Pfund/Reiss all age out of juniors too, but at the moment I am significantly less impressed with all of them than our lower ranked senior pairs, and just think they need more time to bake or whatever. But the former two have another shot at a higher SB at Junior Worlds, so good luck to them!

Ladies- a lot will depend on Junior Worlds. I really want to see all 3 of Hicks, Siraj, and Cesario make the leap up to senior GP, and if any fail to achieve top-24 scores, then they will have to hope for SA. I also imagine Alissa Czisny will get a SA spot if she wants one. And we can never forget Rachael Flatt... The others- Wagner, Gold, Gao, Nagasu, Zawadzki, should all be fine with their ISU PB's. I am sure whatever happens, there will be a ton of hang-wringing and endless discussion...

Dance- I guess whichever of the Cannuscio teams, Olson/Hubbell, or Aronow/Brubaker look best at Lake Placid, and Aldridge/Eaton and K/G-S are also in the 20-30 range and could need a spot.
    If Skate America wastes it pick on Rachael Flatt yet again next year i give up. She showed up last year out of shape and doesn't deserve a GP event next season. There is too much talent not to give it to one of the younger Ladies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    esp considering they are unlikely to show up except in the broadcast booth
    My thoughts exactly. I know they both really wanted Sochi, but a comeback for either doesn't seem even remotely realistic at this point.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    If Skate America wastes it pick on Rachael Flatt yet again next year i give up. She showed up last year out of shape and doesn't deserve a GP event next season. There is too much talent not to give it to one of the younger Ladies.
    It is the crucial Olympic season. I agree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast