Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

vCash
    Is there any update on Narumi's injury? Any idea if she's recovered enough to begin training properly with him? Could be crucial if they're hoping to be ready to compete at Nebelhorn to try to get the Olympic spot.

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    He was 10th at 2011 Junior worlds too..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeK1zL9ZghM
    Well, he is already used to generic tango programs, so I guess he's half way there!
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

vCash

Takahashi/Kihara pair learns from Yuka Sato coach

This is an article in “Mainichi Shinbun” in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

January 30th, 2013 JST.
    By Tatsuya Haga

In January 30th, Japan Skating Federation announced formally that Narumi Takahashi (21, Kinoshita Club) who had canceled the combination of Pair with Marvin Tran (Canada) forms the new combination with Ryuichi Kihara (20, Chukyo University).
    They are going to utilize U.S. Detroit as their training base and learn to both coaches of Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen who form together the conjugal Pair as professional.

According to HIdehito Ito, the director of Figure Skating of the said Federation, Kihara seems to have participated to the meeting for experiencing the Pair Skating which was held in Chukyo University two years before. Takahashi who coached him then seems to have been eager, saying, "I would like to form the Pair with him by all means because I felt a good fit to him", and he seems to have replied to it in this year.
    They train in Detroit for two months from February and are going to aim at getting the qualification to participate to Sochi Olympics in the final Olympic qualifying competition in September. Director Ito said, "Although there is an aspect not to find that it doesn't attempt together actually, too, we would like to make them strengthen aggressively because a pair among the Japanese was formed specially".

The article:
    http://mainichi.jp/sports/news/20130...50012000c.html
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 01-31-2013 at 06:14 AM.

vCash
    Sato/Dungjen makes a lot of sense on paper. Jason was a brilliant pair skater and a good coach. Having a Japanese coach in the US will help the process.
    They chose busy coaches though. (Alissa and Jeremy are not going to Worlds and their season is over)
    Last edited by kirkbiggestfan; 01-30-2013 at 03:25 PM.

vCash
    I know Yuka and Jason are busy coaches but I actually think this will be a good fit for them, Yuka was a singles skater, but her and Jason did do some shows and pro-ams and I was extremely impressed with her ability to pick it up just like that (their throws were worthy), granted she was already a world champion, but I think she will be able to help Kihara transition into pairs, and hopefully they can pick it up and do well. Would like to see them compete at the Olympics.
    Kyle

vCash
    They are definitely the "it" coaches at the moment but they have so many skaters, I wonder whether they will be able to devote a lot of their time to T/K.

And they haven't produced any pair teams yet so their ability in this regard is a big unknown.

vCash
    Jason coached the Hartsells when they won the National title in 1999 - I remember because it seemed like a bit of a fun twist that Jason was coaching the team that beat Ina & Zimmerman, who were "supposed" to win, after Ina dumped him for Zimmerman. That said, Jason was part of a coaching team that included Johnny Johns, who has lots of experience with pairs coaching, so it's hard to say how much of the credit goes to Jason.

vCash
    And he is also co-coaching Berton/Hotarek.
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash

The message from Narumi Takahashi on her official blog

Translating to English from Japanese

January 30 th, 2013 JST

Good news

Hello!

My new partner was decided.
    It is Ryuichi Kihara of Chukyo university.

I have known Kihara well, because I used to have been to the international competitions together with him many times since the Junior ages.
    I'm very glad that I can aim at the world together with him in Pair this time.
    For the last three months after the surgical operation, I sometimes had spicy times, but could restart like this thanks to your mental support.
    Really, thank you very much.

Please support the pair Ryuichi Kihara / Narumi Takahashi from now on.

Narumi

The official blog of Narumi Takahashi"The fairy on the Ice"
    http://ameblo.jp/narumi-takahashi/

vCash
    Bumping this thread back up now that Takahashi/Kihara have debuted their SP at Lombardia Trophy in Italy today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DLmRpk7BwI
    7 Narumi TAKAHASHI / Ryuichi KIHARA JPN 47.98 26.26 21.72 5.58 5.08 5.67 5.58 5.25 0.00 #10 (they made the SP minimum TES for the Olympics)

Pairs FS is tomorrow and there is a live stream - more info here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...phy-from-Italy

Re-posting from The Ice thread (shows took place in Japan in late July):
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    The official youtube channel of THE ICE uploaded the "perfect version" of Aichi shows.

Narumi Takahashi & Ryuichi Kihara [Les Miz] FS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy9s7rCKK1I
    Scheduled competitions this fall: Nebelhorn Trophy (Olympic qualifying) next week and 2 Grand Prix events - NHK Trophy & Rostelecom Cup.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-21-2013 at 09:38 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Yay for them! Congrats to get the minimum Worlds TES. Hoping they keep doing their best in their FS.

vCash
    Congratulations to them on their progress. It will be interesting to see whether their appearance at the Olympics can or will inspire other young skaters in Japan to pursue pairs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Congratulations to them on their progress. It will be interesting to see whether their appearance at the Olympics can or will inspire other young skaters in Japan to pursue pairs.
    One would have thought that common sense would push Japanese single skaters to pursue pairs. Logically, if you are number 6-10 Japanese man and there are such strong skaters as Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka, Hanyu, Mura etc, one should think how overcrowded it is currently in the men category and start looking into ladies number 5-10 for a lady in similar position. A few years (1-2) trying to gel together and hurray, you have a ticket to 4CC and worlds (as long as you meet the qualifying scores) which you would never get so quickly if you waited the queue in the singles category. You can't wait forever until someone retires and it becomes less crowded. The clock is ticking...

vCash
    Takahashi/Kihara scored 90.05 in the FS at Lombardia Trophy today and attained the Olympic minimum TES - video filmed from the stands: http://youtu.be/5Zx9B5HmOJ8
    They finished 7th overall (138.03) - on to Nebelhorn!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    One would have thought that common sense would push Japanese single skaters to pursue pairs. Logically, if you are number 6-10 Japanese man and there are such strong skaters as Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka, Hanyu, Mura etc, one should think how overcrowded it is currently in the men category and start looking into ladies number 5-10 for a lady in similar position. A few years (1-2) trying to gel together and hurray, you have a ticket to 4CC and worlds (as long as you meet the qualifying scores) which you would never get so quickly if you waited the queue in the singles category. You can't wait forever until someone retires and it becomes less crowded. The clock is ticking...
    The problem is most Japanese single skaters are too short and thin even for their very small ladies. Kihara is definitely not built to be a pairs skater.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Kihara might not be built to be a Pairs skater, but after being in Pairs for eight months, he and Takahashi made not only the Olympic TES minimums in their first Senior B, but also the World TES minimums, exceeding the World TES FS minimum by almost 6.5 points. I know he had an experienced partner, but he's going to get to go to Championships within a year of having started Pairs.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Kihara has done very well in a short amount of time. I really didn't think it was possible to come so far. (I still miss Takahashi/ Tran, though)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by analia View Post
    The problem is most Japanese single skaters are too short and thin even for their very small ladies. Kihara is definitely not built to be a pairs skater.
    There are shorter men skaters even from other countries. Szolkovy is not very tall, Brubaker neither. I am not saying that every male skater should become a pair skater, but even within Japanese men there will be some slightly taller and among ladies some smaller ladies.

vCash
    I think the main obstacle is that any JPN pair team that is formed is "forced" to train abroad due to the lack of elite level pair coaches, and unless promising prospective pairs are funded by the federation (or are financially independent), this can get very expensive!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-22-2013 at 08:55 PM.

vCash
    Kihara is not short for Narumi...but he needs to develop a lot of upper body strength. You just have to compare the guy with the rest of competitors. Male pair skaters are muscle GI Joes

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast