Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Best of luck to this new team. Will be interesting to see how quickly he'll be able to develop pairs skills and how quickly they'll be able to develop their partnership. I wish them all the best!

vCash
    Who will be there coach?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    Where do you know this from? My sources, quite reliable ones, state the opposite: JSF was trying very hard to keep Takahashi/Tran together, but she wanted to end the partnership.

But I am happy to hear that Narumi found a new partner and I hope the same happens for Mervin soon.
    Was it motivated by a desire to go to the Olympics or was it personal? Sorry if I'm prying..

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Where do you know this from? My sources, quite reliable ones, state the opposite: JSF was trying very hard to keep Takahashi/Tran together, but she wanted to end the partnership.
    I misunderstood and thought the Japanese Federation did not want to continue supporting them as a pair, because he was unlikely to be granted citizenship.

It's interesting that they are supporting her, given their investment in T/T, even if she went against their wishes. I know it is in their best interest to have a Pairs team in Sochi, either appointed for the Team Event or qualified at Nebelhorn, but it might have just been decency on their part.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Now it looks like official. JSF's list with Ryuichi in the both categories, in singles and in pairs.
    http://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/nation...hp?sports_id=2

vCash
    Good luck to them both. I'll love seeing Narumi in competition again. As much as I loved her with Tran, I understand the desire to try and get to the Olympics.

vCash
    So he does not have any pairs experience?
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Now Takahashi/Kihara are added to the Team officially.
    http://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/nation...lete_id=57_452

vCash
    I watched Ryuichi Kihara live at one of the JGPs (or maybe twice even).

He was a solid jumper with jumps up to 3lutz/3toe being consistent but didn't have a 3axel. Given he level of skating in Japan, pairs is definitely the way go.

I have one problem with this however. IIRC, his basics weren't great and he was really wooden and expressionless.

Takahashi/Tran's biggest strength was stunning choreography, executed beautifully. That's not something Kihara is capable of. Hopefully he can improve but I imagine that for now, they will look like Stojko skating with Kostner or something.

Now the biggest question: Who will they train with?

I really really hope they continue to work with Gauthier and Marcotte.

But there might be bad blood maybe if Narumi decided to dump Mervin?

Thanks for clearing that, Eislauffan. People were jumping into conclusions too quickly.

It's only understandable that Narumi would want to compete at the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    So he does not have any pairs experience?
    He never competed as a pairs skater, no. Whether he dabbled at it at some point, no idea but given the lack of pair skating in Japan, probably not.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 01-30-2013 at 03:31 AM.

vCash
    Kihara is a student of Chukyo University which owns ice rinks for figure skating (main and sub). The JSF is using them as training bases for designated Team athletes. It also has accommodations for skaters and coaches. They can train there. As for the coach, probably Utako Wakamatsu is available. Kihara's coach Nagakubo has some pairs experiences around the time of Sapporo Olympics. He might be some help.

Nevertheless, it would be better to train abroad since they need short term achievements. They can concentrate more on skating in somewhere with lesser diversions. Although I don't know about Kihara's English ability, as long as he needs to rely on Narumi to communicate, their intimacy will increase.

vCash
    Kihara is 5'9", how tall is takahashi?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    As for the coach, probably Utako Wakamatsu is available.
    The skater who competed pairs with Jean-Sebastien Fecteau of Canada? Is she coaching in Japan now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Nevertheless, it would be better to train abroad since they need short term achievements. They can concentrate more on skating in somewhere with lesser diversions. Although I don't know about Kihara's English ability, as long as he needs to rely on Narumi to communicate, their intimacy will increase.
    Isn't ice time always a problem in Japan, especially for pairs teams?

Any speculations on possible abroad training centers? US? Canada?

vCash

JSF decided Ryuichi Kihara as the new partner of Narumi Takahashi

This is an article in “Saga Shinbun” in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese

JSF decided Ryuichi Kihara as the new partner of Narumi Takahashi.
    January 30th, 2013 JST

In January 30th, Japan Skating Federation announced that they decided Ryuichi Kihara (Chukyo University) who participated to 2011 Junior Worlds as the new partner of Narumi Takahashi (Kinoshita Club) of Pair.
    Takahashi won the bronze medal in 2012 Worlds with Canadian Marvin Tran, but canceled the combination of Pair with him in Last December because of the difference of directionality.

The new pair which was born is expected as the war potential of the group competition which is adopted in the Sochi Winter Olympics, and Takahashi said, "I feel very happy to be able to resume the practice of the pair". Kihara said, "I would like to do my best so as to be able to participate to the International competition as soon as possible".

The article:
    JSF decided Ryuichi Kihara as the new partner of Narumi Takahashi.
    http://www.saga-s.co.jp/news/global/...1.article.html

This is an article in “Asahi Shinbun” in Japan
    Translating to English from Japanese.

Narumi Takahashi formed a new pair with Ryuichi Kihara.
    January 30th, 2013 JST

In January 30th, Japan Skating Federation announced that they decided Ryuichi Kihara (20, Chukyo University) as the partner of Narumi Takahashi (21, Kinoshita Club), who won the third place and got the medal for the first time for Japan in the Pair of the Worlds in last season.
    In last December, Takahashi canceled the combination with Marvin Tran (Canada) who won the medal with her.

Kihara is the player of Single, was the 12th place in Japan National in last season and was the the 10th place in 2011 Worlds. As for the body height, Kihara is 174 cm and Takahashi is 146 cm. Kihara said, "I am anxious, too, because I have not an experience of the Pair, but I would like to practice it utilizing my experience so far".

The article:
    Narumi Takahashi formed a new pair with Ryuichi Kihara.
    http://www.asahi.com/sports/update/0...301300098.html
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 01-30-2013 at 06:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Kihara is 5'9", how tall is takahashi?
    If he's 5'9'', I think he's taller than Tran. Takahashi is 1.46m, I think that's about 4'10''.

vCash
    Tran is listed at 175 cm (ISU) and Kihara at 174 cm (JSF) , so both are 5'9"<ish>, if the bios are right.

vCash
    Ryuichi Kihara - Short Program (ISU JGP Baltic Cup 2011)

Ryuichi Kihara - Free Skating (ISU JGP Baltic Cup 2011)

That's the performance of his I watched live.

I have to take what I said back. He has a stiff back and his movements are a little awkward yes but he's actually quite expressive and under proper guidance could develop into a decent skater I think. Definitely potential there. He also seems quite tall.

The "NICE" Admin
    vCash
    http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/wi...OHT1T00137.htm

According to this article, they will be coached by Yuka Sato and will train in Detroit.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I never thought of Sato, but Jason Dungjen taught her some Pairs, and they performed together. Thank you for the news!
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MINAM View Post
    http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/wi...OHT1T00137.htm

According to this article, they will be coached by Yuka Sato and will train in Detroit.
    Ehhhhh I guess there's bad blood between them and Gauthier then.

I am very disappointed because I think that Gauthier+Marcotte is the best pairs team there is.

I guess Sato/Dungjen will coach and Camerlengo/Krylova will choreograph?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast