Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

New JPN Pair: Narumi Takahashi & Ryuichi Kihara

Finally announced!
    http://www.47news.jp/CN/201301/CN2013012901002400.html

I believed Kihara is the best choice. Glad to hear that.

vCash
    Yay! So happy to hear that she has a new partner. I loved T/T, but sadly, I don't think Japan was very willing to support his citizenship quest.

vCash
    Glad to hear she has a partner and I hope it works out well!

vCash
    He finished 12th in Senior at Nationals - link to his ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010972.htm

ETA more links from the Japanese news thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by midori View Post
    Not the official release but Ryuichi Kihara was reported as the new partner of Narumi Takahashi:
    http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...005086750.html
    http://www.chunichi.co.jp/s/chuspo/a...901002400.html
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-29-2013 at 05:54 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    It will be interesting to find out where and with whom they will train. I assume this has not yet been revealed?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    My kind of skater -- hobby of visiting old castles!

Given how quickly some of the other new pairs teams have managed to jell, perhaps we can see them in Sochi if they can qualify at Nebelhorn. (And I'm guessing they will be Japan's entry for pairs in the team event, but it still seems unclear as to whether or not that puts you on the "real" Olympic team.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    It will be interesting to find out where and with whom they will train. I assume this has not yet been revealed?
    The news was not even officially announced but just leaked by someone, according to the articles.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    By "real" do you mean qualified for the Pairs event, too? I suspect if all goes well they'll try for one of the remaining 4 spots at Nebelhorn. Otherwise Japan can appoint them for the Team Event (assuming there are no minimum scores for appointed skaters, or if there are, that T/K make them).

Best of luck to them!
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midori View Post
    The news was not even officially announced but just leaked by someone, according to the articles.
    In this kind of article, "related person" (関係者) definitely means JSF officials. Kihara couldn't land the 3A at National Sports Festival (as expected), and his PCS was quite low compared to Nationals and other skaters. I had a hunch that THEY are advising him to give up singles careers and concentrate on pairs.

vCash
    He was 10th at 2011 Junior worlds too..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeK1zL9ZghM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Given how quickly some of the other new pairs teams have managed to jell, perhaps we can see them in Sochi if they can qualify at Nebelhorn. (And I'm guessing they will be Japan's entry for pairs in the team event, but it still seems unclear as to whether or not that puts you on the "real" Olympic team.)
    If he doesn't have pairs experience, it might take a while for him to get up to competition standard. James/Cipres are probably the most similar pairing to this one (though Narumi has more pairs experience than Vanessa did at the beginning of that partnership) and we saw that it took them a while.

Anyway, good luck to them. I hope Mervin Tran will find a good partner quickly, too.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Unless he actively dislikes Pairs, he could treat this as an experiment subsidized by the Japanese Federation, and if he's even competent, it's a trip to the Olympics, if only for the SP in the team event. Chances are, if they're sent to Montreal, he'll be able to work on his singles skills on the side.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Best of luck to Narumi & Ryuichi as they begin their partnership. And hopefully he'll be able to adapt to pairs skating quite well.

vCash
    I certainly wish them the best and hope to see them qualify for Sochi! Just looking at the YouTube video, I know it's from a couple years ago, he looks to be quite small, I know Narumi is quite the tiny lady herself but hopefully he can really work on his strengthening and conditioning and qualify a spot for Japan. I hope Mervin can continue on in his capacity as well.
    Kyle

vCash
    I hope I don't come off as petty, but I can't help but feel bitter about this

Good for her, I suppose. Now she'll have a chance at competing at the Olympics

vCash
    He is about the same size as Tran. Obviously, a very good single skater.
    I would be surprised to see them train in Montreal, since Gauthier put Tran and Takahashi together and the JSF kinda forced a breakup.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Hiroshi Nagakubo, the coach of Akiko Suzuki and Kihara, is a former pairs skater himself and he represented Japan at the 1972 Olympics.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    I wish this new pairing well and look forward to seeing them.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    He is about the same size as Tran. Obviously, a very good single skater.
    I would be surprised to see them train in Montreal, since Gauthier put Tran and Takahashi together and the JSF kinda forced a breakup.
    Where do you know this from? My sources, quite reliable ones, state the opposite: JSF was trying very hard to keep Takahashi/Tran together, but she wanted to end the partnership.

But I am happy to hear that Narumi found a new partner and I hope the same happens for Mervin soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    Where do you know this from? My sources, quite reliable ones, state the opposite: JSF was trying very hard to keep Takahashi/Tran together, but she wanted to end the partnership.

But I am happy to hear that Narumi found a new partner and I hope the same happens for Mervin soon.
    I jumped into conclusion then. I knew she wanted out. I thought that the fed was behind it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast