vCash

Setting up a wireless router

I realized recently that I am going to need a wireless router for the Smart TV I plan to buy. I cannot use my cable modem because it is upstairs, and the TV is downstairs. I heard that my cable company could set it up for a very high fee. The router itself does not cost much, so I was wondering if it was simple enough that I could set it up myself? Anyone has experience with this?

vCash
    I don't think its that hard to set up a wireless router but I've done it several times so I may be misstating how easy it is. It seems to me that most home routers have a pretty nice set up system that walks you thru the set up. Whatever you do, don't go for the cheapest router as it might not be able to provide a good enough signal thru floors and walls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I realized recently that I am going to need a wireless router for the Smart TV I plan to buy. I cannot use my cable modem because it is upstairs, and the TV is downstairs. I heard that my cable company could set it up for a very high fee. The router itself does not cost much, so I was wondering if it was simple enough that I could set it up myself? Anyone has experience with this?
    Have you set up anything computer-related before? If you are able to do medium difficulty computer tasks, like setting up your email account, then you can install a wireless router yourself. I have done it several times, including replacement routers, and it is not too hard. You can usually call the technical support phone line for your internet provider and get some help if you need it. Just follow the instructions that come with the router. You will need to keep good notes recording all of the addresses, login, and password that you assign. Make sure you have step-by-step directions written down in detail in case you ever have to do this again. You never know when you might get a new internet provider or new phone service, and you will need this information then.

If you fail at setting the router up, and you have to get an installer, you haven't spent anything more than you would have originally. So give it a try!

vCash
    I forgot to mention that you must secure your network or else it will be open to the entire world. And it's a good idea to hide your SSID rather than broadcast it if you don't want your neighbors to even see the name of your network when they search for one.

I also recommend calling your internet provider before buying a wireless router to make sure it will be compatible with their service. They may have certain models they prefer. I spent 3 days on the phone with support when I tried to get a CenturyLink router to work with our Earthlink ISP (CenturyLink is our landline provider) - there were some internal settings in the router that the Earthlink tech guys couldn't access. I got them all on the phone together via a 3-way call, and even they couldn't resolve it. So I returned the CenturyLink router and purchased a Linksys one that Earthlink sold.

Here are some general instructions for setting up a wireless router on a PC. They will give you a good idea of what you'll have to do to accomplish this task.
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/orga...lesssetup.aspx
    Last edited by madm; 01-29-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: typo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    I forgot to mention that you must secure your network or else it will be open to the entire world. And it's a good idea to hide your SSID rather than broadcast it if you don't want your neighbors to even see the name of your network when they search for one.

I also recommend calling your internet provider before buying a wireless router to make sure it will be compatible with their service. They may have certain models they prefer. I spent 3 days on the phone with support when I tried to get a CenturyLink router to work with our Earthlink ISP (CenturyLink is our landline provider) - there were some internal settings in the router that the Earthlink tech guys couldn't access. I got them all on the phone together via a 3-way call, and even they couldn't resolve it. So I returned the CenturyLink router and purchased a Linksys one that Earthlink sold.

Here are some general instructions for setting up a wireless router on a PC. They will give you a good idea of what you'll have to do to accomplish this task.
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/orga...lesssetup.aspx
    This is great info! Thanks so much!

vCash
    I used http://home.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/valet - super easy to install and you get a key so adding devices was extra easy (specifically the wii).

vCash
    Just set one up here at home for the first time and it was super easy. It came with a CD to put in the computer that walked you through all the steps. I was nervous to do it first too but then couldn't believe how quick and easy it was.

Good Luck.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    I bought a router from Best Buy - it was on sale for a good price and installation was included.
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash
    Thanks everyone! You have been super helpful.

vCash
    Vash, if you pay your cable Co to set this up .... it would be a mistake. I work for Cable co and the install fee is going to be around $30.

Also, you don't need to make sure your network is secure. Most routers come with their own network name and it's on a secure network. Also, your modem has a firewall.

I would research routers from sites like amazon, cnet and pcworld.

Amazon and newegg offer the best online prices.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash