vCash

Advice on working with skaters

Hey everyone. I thought I would try the forum for some suggestions on an idea of mine that has been brewing for a while. I am trained as an actor and have studied it for many years. But as some of you might be aware it is a tough business and I haven't achieved the professional success I would have liked. But a couple of years ago, it occurred to me that my knowledge could be useful to help figure skaters with their expression and interpreting the music. I know some skaters do that now. Kurt has mentioned it and I think Weaver and Poje have mentioned it too. I know they work with choreographers but my particular knowledge would be about helping a skater find their way into the music. By helping them tell the story that often exists in their musical selection and developing that story for themselves and the audience. I am totally willing to volunteer for a while with my intention of making it a business. But as it is an art form as well as a sport I would like to think it might be an extra competitive element. And maybe I can help get rid of the O-face. I love figure skating, have been watching it for over thirty years and feel like I have a good enough knowledge of it to work with skaters. If I could combine two of my passions and find a new career, I would be over the moon.

Any ideas how I could start or if this would be something coaches would even be interested in developing with their students?

Thanks

vCash
    Contact your local rink, talk to some coaches and see if they are interested. Or contact a local skating club and see if they might be interested in doing a session as an off-ice activity.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Thanks!