Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

Feedback and Post Upgrade

Hello there,

As my username suggests, I'm the server guy and have been leading the upgrade and other optimizations of FSUniverse. I have been reading your feedback and making appropriate changes as I go along. In this thread, I will detail the changes and will ideally be able to get constructive feedback on how I can make the forums better for you.

So, you may have noticed that FSU went through a major upgrade a few days ago and this has drastically improved performance and reduced load on the server which is a major plus for everyone. But with this upgrade were tons of changes which some may be great while others not so great. It's my job to make sure everything is in tip top shape and you are browsing this forum at it's best.

New features!
    As with every upgrade, new features are introduced. Well in this upgrade, quite a lot have come along including a new editor, auto saving of unfinished posts, better performance, better mobile styles, that sort of thing. There's basically too many to list and you'll find them as you go along. I remember reading someone seeing the new notification about Reputation comments and how that's useful.

Mobile Browsing
    Another new addition by me is an improved mobile browsing experience from the palm of your hands. Right now, I have implemented three different methods of mobile browsing.

First up is Forum Runner support iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad. You'll be able to browse the forum with Forum Runner, a dedicated application, that lets you browse on the go without having to fiddle with a desktop style.

Second is Tapatalk. Similar to Forum Runner but supports a lot more platforms including iDevices, Android, Blackberry and Google Chrome. Yes! If you install the Tapatalk Notifier to Google Chrome, you'll be alerted when you receive a new Private Message. Other than that, it's a dedicated application for browsing the forums, like Forum Runner but has a wider platform library.

Thirdly, is the Mobile Style. Browse from any mobile device (or PC if you fancy) with a dedicated mobile style optimized for low bandwidth use and works great on touch screen phones. It incorporates many features from the main forum so you're not really losing out either.

vBulletin 3 Style
    Yes, many of you asked for it when I had a look around. You didn't like the change and thought it looked like many other vBulletin 4 boards. I have now brought back the vBulletin 3 style and it is the default style again. It looks slightly different to match with the changes that were brought along with vBulletin 4. The lips will also be brought back once they are adjusted for the new style, bare with me

Anti-Spam Solution
    A solution has also been put in place to put an end or at least slowdown spammers by a great deal. Over the next few days, we'll be observing how this is working and I'm sure many of you will appreciate this change.

Other Changes
    Over the next few days you'll be seeing new things around the site and also new systems being incorporated to ensure the smooth running of the site. New services have been implemented to improve performance, less database load and other techy things and you should be benefiting from these changes.

The whole purpose of this thread is basically to inform you of some new things and to get your feedback. For instance, do you want to see something in particular on the site? Don't like a certain aspect? Or anything else? Leave a comment and me or Sharpie will get back to you.

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Thanks, there have been a few more comments on the other thread (Which I am now going to close) so if you can take a look at what you have missed there that would be great.
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    From the closed thread:

Quote Originally Posted by me
    I know that the notifications tell you that you have rep (which is nice), but if you don't have a current rep, it was hard to find the messages. I found them once, but can't remember where. Is there a way to bring back something like the User CP from the old style?
    Never mind. I found it again. It's the settings link and it works the same was as the old User CP.

Administrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    From the closed thread:

Never mind. I found it again. It's the settings link and it works the same was as the old User CP.
    Was just about to write back to you on that. Glad you found it

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I'm playing with stuff instead of doing my work An upgrade makes for a great procrastination tool.

Anyway, when I clicked My Profile, the first thing that popped up was my activity. Same creepy Facebook-like thing. Is there a way to turn that off individually without making yourself invisible?

vCash
    vB4 isn't an option in the forum skin styles. I know a lot of people wanted the vB3 style back, but why wasn't vB4 kept as an option for those of us who liked it?

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    Thanks!
    The color scheme is better already

Can we have the OK button back, next to the quick navigation menu?
    We always have to go to the top of the page to return to the thread list.

I know I sound like a broken record...
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

Administrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    vB4 isn't an option in the forum skin styles. I know a lot of people wanted the vB3 style back, but why wasn't vB4 kept as an option for those of us who liked it?
    Ah, glad you spotted that! It was my mistake, I was cleaning the old stuff out and must've unticked the vB4 style. It's back now and I apologize for this mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
    Thanks!
    The color scheme is better already

Can we have the OK button back, next to the quick navigation menu?
    We always have to go to the top of the page to return to the thread list.

I know I sound like a broken record...
    I'll see what I can do regarding this

Quadless
    vCash
    Is there any other forum out there that cares about and caters so much to its users? Thank you, SHARPIE and Server Guy. You rock!
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Server Guy View Post
    Ah, glad you spotted that! It was my mistake, I was cleaning the old stuff out and must've unticked the vB4 style. It's back now and I apologize for this mistake
    Thanks

And thanks to Sharpie and anyone else who's involved in these upgrades.

Administrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Is there any other forum out there that cares about and caters so much to its users? Thank you, SHARPIE and Server Guy. You rock!
    Thank you very much We're trying to make sure you get the best browsing experience possible and your feedback is vital for this. Again, thank you all for the feedback, it is much appreciated.

Also, the 'Go' button has been added back next to the Quick Navigation menu near the bottom of the page.

vCash
    I got the notice about Tapatalk support but no search term within the app (fsuniverse, fsuniverse.net, figure skating universe, fsu) seems to bring it up. Do I just need to be patient or should it be there?

Thank you for all the work! The Go button is huge.

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    I got the notice about Tapatalk support but no search term within the app (fsuniverse, fsuniverse.net, figure skating universe, fsu) seems to bring it up. Do I just need to be patient or should it be there?

Thank you for all the work! The Go button is huge.
    Just be patient for now. Thanks
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    Thanks for all the hard work - I already like it much better than I did this morning!

Shadow dancing
    vCash

Administrator
    vCash
    Spoilers are coming

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Server Guy View Post
    Also, the 'Go' button has been added back next to the Quick Navigation menu near the bottom of the page.
    Yay!

Is there any way to center or embiggen the Submit Reply and Preview Post buttons on the reply page?
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

Administrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanna View Post
    Yay!

Is there any way to center or embiggen the Submit Reply and Preview Post buttons on the reply page?
    Added to my to do list, I'll see what I can do

vCash
    Yeah!! Thank you so much Server Guy!

Help please... I am stuck with mobile style on my phone, as the "full site" link (...styleid=25 or styleid=27) is currently broken with "404 not found" error. Android + Opera Mini. Same on Dolphin browser in mobile style, where there is no cache problem.

Strangely, browsing on PC in mobile style, the "full site" link works fine.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Is the vBookie feature going to be restored?

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast