Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

What next for Dornbush, Farris, Rippon, and Mahbanoozadeh?

With Max Aaron being the newly crowned US champion, it seems like Max, Ross, and Jeremy are the 3 men likely to go to the Olympics next year, and that's IF the men get back 3 spots this year which will be hard given the depth of the field. Anyways, I'm curious to hear peoples thoughts, do you think any of these guys has a realistic shot to make the Sochi Olympic team, and who do you think will/should stick around after next season? It seems like the USFS is finally starting to recognize Farris' talent, is still supporting Rippon despite no quad attempts at this past Nationals, and is more than willing to give Dornbush big scores when he delivers. Mahbanoozadeh is more of a question mark, but he was on the podium last season. Do you think any of these guys could be contenders on the World level after 2014 when I expect we'll see several retirements and the level might drop down a bit? Do they have what it takes to become heavy hitters in the next quad, and are they likely to stick around that long to see? (I expect obviously Farris will skate through 2018 at least, but there seem to be concerns that he is too boring, which might hold him back).

vCash
    I think Armin will stay one more season and then go off to college if he doesn't get anywhere near the podium again.

Dornbush will be around a few more years. He was the IT guy just two seasons ago. Not sure what's going with him, but I think he'll want to get back to the top in the next few years.

I think Rippon will stay one more year too. If he doesn't have a quad next year then he'll move on.

I haven't seen too much of Farris yet. From what I've seen, I don't think he's boring at all.

vCash
    Adam had a great nationals, those were two fabulous programs, skated well, and, most importantly, he looked happy.

vCash
    If the USA gets three spots, I really think Farris will be a strong contender - and even if he doesn't, I wouldn't underrated his chances. Steady improvement, strong coaching staff, solid all-around skills....

vCash
    Should Richard Dornbush go to another coach? I feel he should. But who? I like Orser or Frank Carroll.
    Last edited by stevlin; 01-29-2013 at 01:57 AM. Reason: misspelled word.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Adam had a great nationals, those were two fabulous programs, skated well, and, most importantly, he looked happy.
    I really enjoyed watching him--maybe this is the start of an upswing for him. (Still pulling for Ross, of course, but if Rippon improves on this year I'm fine with him knocking one of the others down a spot. )

vCash
    Not to bring up illness and boot problems as an excuse, but Richard Dornbush was skating under the weather in Omaha. I give him credit for changing his plans and going for the quad (especially since he skated directly after Max Aaron in the free skate). Obviously, his heart was willing and he toughed it out, but Richard was not in the best shape physically. That's too bad because he had a very good start to the season. At least Richard's Nationals finish this year is an improvement from the problems he had last year. Hopefully, he'll stay focused on the positives and keep working toward his goals.

A lot of factors have to be considered in deciding to switch coaches. It's not always that a coaching change is what's needed. If Richard ever leaves Tammy (which I'd be surprised if he did), it won't be because she's not a great coach.

BTW, I doubt Richard would consider going to Orser, especially since changing coaches likely has never crossed his mind. And Frank Carroll is not the answer for everyone. In any case, I believe Frank is nearing retirement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stevlin View Post
    Should Richard Dornbush go to another coach? I feel he should. But who? I like Orser or Frank Carroll.
    He has been w/ Tammy since he was practically an infant. If they do split, it will probably be a bit awkward.

I don't know what is up with him *sigh*

vCash
    ^^ Richard was weakened by illness, IMHO, but he didn't use it as an excuse. Also, last year's setback (apparently from boot problems) has been extremely difficult for Richard to overcome mentally, especially in the high stakes, highly charged environment of mens figure skating. Richard lost a lot of momentum and it isn't easy to get that back overnight. Like I said, he has a lot of positives to take from this season. Richard's still young, and I wish good things for him, and as well for Adam, Armin and all the U.S. men. It was a battle! They all gave it everything they had.

ITA that Richard has been with Tammy since he was very young. They seem to have an excellent coach-skater relationship. If Tammy feels like there's someone else who could come aboard to offer input on whatever aspects Richard might benefit from, I don't think she would hesitate to seek out that kind of assistance. Richard had great programs this season. Maybe he could benefit from new strategies re his mental preparation.

Obviously, Max Aaron is being helped by working with people like Kathy Johnson and Pasquale Camerlengo to improve the presentation side of his skating (since Tom Z's expertise isn't in that area).
    Last edited by aftershocks; 01-29-2013 at 03:47 AM.

vCash
    Yeah, I don't want to make excuses for him either - but I really think Ricky's had a lot of bad luck since 2011 Nationals. Which is sad, as I had a lot of hope for him after Finlandia this year. I had a friend at Nationals who told me that his practices were great outside of his actual runthroughs (struggled through all of them from what I heard) which made me believe that the flu really made it difficult for him to complete an entire program. Plus, with the nagging ankle injury all year and the boot problems last year - he's had a rough go of it. It's unfortunate - but he seemed to have a good attitude about it from the backstage interviews I saw. His programs at Nationals weren't even all that bad - not good enough, of course, but not disasters given the circumstances. I don't think he'll leave Tammy and I don't think he should. She's a great coach and I think she's good for him. Plus, I love the work he does with Cindy. His short program this year was fantastic. I'm just hoping he's not discouraged. I'm sure it's got to be extremely frustrating for him.

vCash
    I believe in Ricky too and think he can still bounce back, I could see him sticking around until 2018, or at least I hope he does. I know he's a full time student at a community college and due to graduate either this year or next, so before he up and moves somewhere completely new, he'd probably want to finish school. Plus I think he and Tammy have a great relationship. Ricky I think tries to put on a tough exterior but is maybe more sensitive and wants to succeed more than he lets on to. It's gotta be tough after being catapulted into the spotlight in 2011 when he started the season with a 4th place finish at a JGP then a few great competitions in a row led to a bunch of expectations and pressure for him to be the next "star" of figure skating. I have hope he'll bounce back, it might just take a bit more time. He's so talented and seems like a very hard worker and genuine nice guy.

Adam and Armin have both put off college to skate, Armin I know is exceptionally intelligent and has been accepted to Dartmouth and UPenn in the past, so I agree that he may well hang up his skates after next season. Adam could too but, idk, if he continues to improve and gets a quad somewhat consistent, I could maybe see him trying to stick it out until 2018. He'd be 28 by then, but there are lots of guys that age still competing on the international scene so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Farris has loads of potential and realistically could spoil and land on the 2014 Olympic team, even if he does, I'd think he'd surely try and stick around until 2018, and even 2022 is not out of the question for him given his young age. His 3a is really strong now, that 3a-3t is a great combo for him, and he seems to be capable of consistently rotating the quad at least, and he did land a beautiful one in Lake Placid so he CAN do it. With more strength I think he can get that jump more consistent, and his final 3s in his FS here was really big and nice so I wonder if he's maybe training a 4s as well. His jumps as a whole are so nice that I don't doubt he could be capable of a 4s. Also, maybe trying a new kind of program could be a good thing, I certainly enjoyed seeing the new side of Adam with his short hair and upbeat Incredibles program this season, and I think projecting out to the audience must be hard for Josh because judging from interviews of him, he's really very shy, so I think the level he's at with his presentation already speaks to his drive to succeed and talent as a skater, because he certainly does not seem to have the "look at me" attitude going on naturally.

vCash
    Could someone please explain to me exactly what Richards boot problems were? I heard it mentioned on the tv commentary and I've seen it mentioned a lot here, but I'm not well versed in skating knowledge so I'm not sure what happened and how it affected him so badly and why it wasn't caught sooner.

Sorry, confused here! :p

vCash
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

An IN article that discusses Richard's prior boot problems.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I'm all for Ricky being rebooted

vCash
    ^^ Maybe he'll choose to reboot with music from The Matrix Rebooted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ Maybe he'll choose to reboot with music from The Matrix Rebooted.
    I actually think Ricky could pull of a Matrix program very well

vCash
    Ice is slippery. Not wishing illness or injuries on anyone at all, but the chance that all the top skaters that were in good physical health this Nationals are similarly in good physical health for next Nationals is dang close to zero, imo.

vCash
    Jeremy better come out with guns blazing next season because there are a lot of talents guys who are improving year by year and they all have age on their side. I think the skaters who will be in the running next year for the Olympics will be Jeremy, Ross, Richard, Josh and Max. Rippon doesn't have a quad and skates rather small with small jumps compared to the other skaters i just mentioned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    If the USA gets three spots, I really think Farris will be a strong contender - and even if he doesn't, I wouldn't underrated his chances. Steady improvement, strong coaching staff, solid all-around skills....
    I totally agree. I really think he could be a surprise next season. Why not in the top 2 at US Nationals.

vCash
    One thing we can't forget -- the year Ricky did so great at nationals was the year before he started putting quads into everything. I know he needed to do it in this competitive environment, and it's admirable that he's so committed to it -- but ever since he started doing that, that quad jump gets so much of his energy and focus that some of the triples usually go to pot.

Just one more reason for me to HATE quads.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast