Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    I'm in Edmonton too, and I think most of the media waited until she was back in town so they could do live interviews. She was on a number of local news broadcasts when she returned. Edmonton used to be a great skating town with excellent media coverage - I think we'll see more coverage now that the media have woken up and discovered Kaetlyn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    In ran on Tuesday... I suspect they waited until she was back to do the interview. Logistics can be a crazy thing.
    It is a pretty common practice for reporters to do phone interviews.

ETA - this response sounds snottier than I meant it to. I just wanted to point out that a good portion of interviews aren't done live.
    Last edited by The Accordion; 01-29-2013 at 10:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    I'm in Edmonton too, and I think most of the media waited until she was back in town so they could do live interviews. She was on a number of local news broadcasts when she returned. Edmonton used to be a great skating town with excellent media coverage - I think we'll see more coverage now that the media have woken up and discovered Kaetlyn.
    Indeed, even after Kristi and Kurt retired, we still got a lot of great coverage from 1996-2005ish, but since then it's been a steady downhill decline, sad really, maybe it will start to pick up now with Kaetlyn's success.
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    It is a pretty common practice for reporters to do phone interviews.

ETA - this response sounds snottier than I meant it to. I just wanted to point out that a good portion of interviews aren't done live.
    I know - I spent many years as a print reporter myself.
    In this case, though, it sounds like Team Kaetlyn set up a media availability right after nationals at one of her training sites here.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    These athletes work just as hard as hockey and football players, but yet they seem to be ignored by the print media when it comes to events like this these days, it's too bad really.
    Well, if you are talking about what the athletes deserve, that's a completely different story. All athletes everywhere work hard and deserve recognition for their achievements!
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    The spoiler was announcer Rod Black, whose cliché-riddled hyperbole and silly histrionics diminish the sport. A friend wondered if Wilson had been elbowing Black in the ribs. His Stephen-Brunt-wannabe editorial to close out the championships was just silly. Silly rhymes, silly sentiment, silly summation: “Skating is . . . (wait for it) . . . us!”
    I'm so sorry, my northern friends. I didn't realize you also had an idiotic commentator. He and Scott "aaaaaaaaaaaaaannndddddddd OMIGOD he LANDED IT!" Hamilton should go out for dinner together.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I'm so sorry, my northern friends. I didn't realize you also had an idiotic commentator. He and Scott "aaaaaaaaaaaaaannndddddddd OMIGOD he LANDED IT!" Hamilton should go out for dinner together.
    Consider yourself lucky! You have missed classic Rod Black comments such as "She broke her maidenhead here" and ____ Elvis ___ Elvis ____ Elvis ___ (everything Elvis - for YEARS after he stopped competing) and Elvis is in the building! Not to mention he has repeatedly cursed skaters by dubbing them "the next one" and says such stupid things that I can just hear Tracy Wilson biting her tongue on a regular basis.

vCash
    I agree that "figure skating deserves better" in terms of knowledgeable and accurate reporting (respect for the sport as a sport) and live coverage that is really live (ditto, and one of my pet peeves with the Canadians coverage was having the Saturday afternoon broadcast in BC live on TSN at the same time as the tape-delayed CTV). BUT - I think that the scheduling changes - which I think were to respond to broadcasters - have contributed a lot to the loss of print coverage. When senior events at Canadians were spread over 4-5 days, there were likely to be articles in the major papers every day focusing on the previous days events. Now with it all crammed into the weekend, there are no stories or interest to develop, and since a lot of papers (e.g. Globe and Mail) don't even publish on Sunday, it's old news by Monday and you're lucky to have anything at all other than on-line stories.

vCash
    Beverley Smith has indeed left the Globe and Mail after more than three decades. Her coverage of figure skating is sorely missed. No other reporter has her deep knowledge of the sport or her keen insights. Luckily, she is writing a weekly story for Skate Canada for their website. Be sure to check them out. I also understand she has written a new book on skaters to watch for at the Sochi games. Not sure of publication date, but it will be soon. I will post the info when I find out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    I just have to laugh when I hear Canadians complaining of their figure skating TV coverage. Compared to what we get on TV -- not internet but real TV -- in the USA, Canadians are darn lucky. I'd give an arm and leg to have access to Canadian TV.
    ITA!
    I've always envied Canadians access to coverage.
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 09-20-2013 at 12:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanina View Post
    Beverley Smith has indeed left the Globe and Mail after more than three decades. Her coverage of figure skating is sorely missed. No other reporter has her deep knowledge of the sport or her keen insights. Luckily, she is writing a weekly story for Skate Canada for their website. Be sure to check them out. I also understand she has written a new book on skaters to watch for at the Sochi games. Not sure of publication date, but it will be soon. I will post the info when I find out.
    The Globe coverage will be missed but writing for Skate Canada's website will only give us SC approved info. Still, it's interesting to hear about what the skaters are doing.
    BTW Tanina, your post sounds almost like a press release itself!

vCash
    Here in the USA, the sports channels don't even mention figure skating results- not even worlds. GPs are out of the question. They don't mind showing high school girls' softball tournaments, high school football, and poker, but they act as if FS does not exist.

vCash
    Beverley Smith has indeed left the Globe and Mail after more than three decades...
    Or as Rod Black might say, "Beverley has left the building!" Seriously, glad that Smith will be reporting through an online outlet & that a new book is in the works.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Definitely agree with you here. Accurate, insightful, knowledge-base went back so thoroughly. Informative for both the casual and dedicated fan.

vCash
    I'm in the US; and will order Beverley's book when it is released.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Definitely agree with you here. Accurate, insightful, knowledge-base went back so thoroughly. Informative for both the casual and dedicated fan.
    Compared to other figure skating "reporters", Beverley Smith is definitely the best. However, (I can't think off the top of my head)..but I know I've read articles that have had inaccuracies & even in her books there have been small things. I'm getting old and can't remember exact examples..but as I said, she's the best of the group & obviously has a passion for the sport.

I will say, her recent article on the Skate Canada website..on Gilles/Poirier..had what I felt was a snarky opening re: ice dancing. This:

One thing is perfectly clear: ice dancing is a dangerous, taxing sport.

The statement may have seemed absurd at one time, but no more, not with a judging system that asks so much of the ballroom breed.

When was it absurd to consider ice dancing a dangerous/taxing sport? Before the new system?? Because, Bourne/Kraatz were before the new system, and I don't think Shae Lynn Bourne would have required knee surgery if it wasn't taxing...and since ice dancing has lifts, I think it would be considered dangerous. Also...the term "ballroom breed" just irked me for some reason.

vCash
    I just wanted to clarify something posted earlier. The CBC receives government funding but not CTV/TSN. Those networks are privately owned, and receive no tax $$$ at all.

I'm glad the CBC is still broadcasting international events like Worlds. I much prefer their coverage to that of CTV and as a bonus, no Rod Black.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    The way I look at it is that IceNetwork may be on the internet, but at least there is a way for the US to watch a lot of the figure skating events this year. The one time price I had to pay whereas it's monthly for cable or satellite TV isn't bad considering all the skating events I'll get to see this year. I just wish that IceNetwork wasn't geo blocked for other countries.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I just wanted to clarify something posted earlier. The CBC receives government funding but not CTV/TSN. Those networks are privately owned, and receive no tax $$$ at all.

I'm glad the CBC is still broadcasting international events like Worlds. I much prefer their coverage to that of CTV and as a bonus, no Rod Black.

Rod the "is he/she the NEXT one?" Black..............

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12