Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Came across this SP practice run through (3A, 3F+3T, Rippon 3Lz all landed) video from Nationals: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GNxvqmRGNGQ

There are some post-FS quotes in this article (scroll down to the section titled "Rippon likes training 'up the mountain'"): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

ETA: And here's a video of his partial FS run through from his last full practice in Omaha (it was streamed by IceNetwork but this version was filmed from the stands on the opposite side): http://youtube.com/watch?v=YH1Bz_s6UTg
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-01-2013 at 10:23 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I like Adam tons but I dont think he is better than ever.

vCash
    ^^ Agreed, I was not a fan of his freeskate. He skates beautifully to classical music. He is a great skater, but I don't know how his team thought that this music was right for him.

vCash
    I like Adam a lot, but wasn't real comfortable watching his free skate. However, I do think he was trying to show that he can skate to different types of music and change his image sort of like Jeremy Abbott has done. Adam did train with Jeremy at DSC for a year or so.

Anyway I think the program was already set when he moved to RA at Lake Arrowhead. He is making progress with the 3A (at least I thought it looked better). Maybe once the jumps are more secure he will be able to express this music a little better. I'm willing to wait to see what next season brings.

vCash
    I would expect a return to his more classic look. But at least he had fun on the ice, something he has never experienced.

vCash
    watching him learn that from choreography from Siebert he was being challenged. I like the choreography but in hindsight perhaps it was better for another skater. I really like Adam but the suave, debonaire, assertive style is not BEST suited for him though I am head over hills for the choreography. I can assure you that guy works his ASS off every day. I hope he stays with Arutunian. Adam, keep pressing and evolving and growing. You have found your mojo with Rafael. Fantastic job on those Axels.

vCash
    Dornbush replaces Rippon at Four Continents - press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48962&type=media
    "Rippon, who placed fifth at the 2013 U.S. Championships, sustained an ankle injury on Saturday. He is expected to make a full recovery."

This is very unfortunate since Adam needed this chance to boost both his ISU Seasons Best total score and his World Standings rankings for Grand Prix selection.

ETA these tweets by @Adaripp:
    I'm sad won't be able to compete in Japan this week. Thank you all for your well wishes. I really appreciate them.

Doing all I can to recover and I should be back on the ice very soon, healthy. Wishing those in Osaka a great Four Continents.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-04-2013 at 06:54 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    All my best to Adam for a full recovery! So bummed he won't be at 4CCs! I think he's shown marked improvement in his triple axel this season. Hopefully by the Olympic season he'll be nailing them cold, like nobody's business! And hopefully he will return to his more classical style in the FS.

vCash
    Wishing him a complete recovery; and whatever style of program/skating allows him to happily reach his potential during the Olympic season.

vCash
    Heal up, and be fantastic next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Adam did seem improved. He still as a shot for Sochi. If he doesn't make it though, I think he'd be a nice pairs skater with those gorgeous spins and lines. I know he's not very tall but the twitter pictures show he's really buff and strong! With a tiny girl like Miller or Lam he could feasibly a good partner. Totally random, but I just thought if the 3a and quad don't ever become really consistent for him, it could be a way for him to continue without ending up disappointed.
    It's not always such a good idea for high level skaters who are supposed to be destined to be bigger stars than they are to just switch to pairs skating because the singles didn't work out to the standard that everyone else and they themselves are expecting... See Naomi Nari Nam...

Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    ^^ Agreed, I was not a fan of his freeskate. He skates beautifully to classical music. He is a great skater, but I don't know how his team thought that this music was right for him.
    Although the freeskate was a departure for him and his moves on the ice were cute and made me smile from time to time because of the posing he would do, the actual music itself didn't seem to have a beginning, middle and and end.. it was just something that kept running on and on and on and didn't have any sort of logical sequence..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Wishing him a complete recovery; and whatever style of program/skating allows him to happily reach his potential during the Olympic season.
    Get better fast! We missed you at 4CC!

vCash
    I'm not sure how much of a chance Adam has to make the Olympic team next year. Abbott will still be the one to beat Minor is improving and is consistent and Aaron can land quads like they are nothing. Plus Richard showed this morning when he's on he will get big scores then you have the two kids Jason and also Josh Farris who beat Adam just two weeks ago at Nationals.

vCash
    Ahem, this is supposed to be a thread for Adam Rippon. Considering his subpar Grand Prix season this past fall in the midst of having to adjust to a new coach and training location, I thought he had a very respectable Nationals showing and is on the right track!

I'll also add that I was relieved and glad when he ditched Jeff Beck's electric guitar rendition of "Nessun Dorma" after Cup of China and replaced it with an orchestral version.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-08-2013 at 05:20 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Ahem, this is supposed to be a thread for Adam Rippon. Considering his subpar Grand Prix season this past fall in the midst of having to adjust to a new coach and training location, I thought he had a very respectable Nationals showing and is on the right track!
    He also had a significant foot injury during last spring and early summer which severely compromised his training time. I agree with you Sylvia

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I'm not sure how much of a chance Adam has to make the Olympic team next year. Abbott will still be the one to beat Minor is improving and is consistent and Aaron can land quads like they are nothing. Plus Richard showed this morning when he's on he will get big scores then you have the two kids Jason and also Josh Farris who beat Adam just two weeks ago at Nationals.
    Adam has as much of a chance as he wants. He has all the goods but has to deliver them. Adam hopefully will forget the baggage of his past and realize his current state;Good skater, nice spins, good jumps, good presence etc. I think he made a good decision for a coach but Rafaels expertise is on the extreme side of technique vs artistry. Not a bad thing since Adam's artistry is fine the way it is.

I like Michael Siebert's ideas and choreography but i dont think he paid attention to how Adam Rippon moves and how ADAM flows etc. Siebert would probably work for Dornbush, Aaron and perhaps Abbott. Even the Nessun Dorma seemed choppy and not a vehicle for how Adam interprets movement. Better packaging in the programs thats true to Adam's style and Adam believing that he's as good as he is and we're looking at a possible National Champion not simply an Olympic Team Member. All it would take was for Adam to believe it. I just wonder how he would skate if HE BELIEVED that he could be our US champion...
    Last edited by arakwafan2006; 02-08-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12