Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Thumbs up The "Adam Rippon: Better than Ever" Cheer Thread!

There were many great performances at the 2013 US Natonals but, for me, none so delightfully refreshing -- and such a transformation -- as that of Adam Rippon's LP. I had to do a double-take; was this really Adam, the floaty cherub of year's past? Loved him before - love him even more now.

ADAM - HAT'S OFF TO YOU FOR YOUR PROGRESS AND TRANSFORMATION. YOU'RE MY CHAMP!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I LOVED Adam's long program. He showed such great character in it. Wish he could have gotten to the podium, but am looking forward to seeing him at 4CCs.

vCash
    He said in an interview that performing his Incredibles LP program at Nats was the FIRST TIME he'd really had fun with it. Which is great and not great. if he'd really had fun with it, hammed it up earlier in the season, he might have done better then and at Nats. It was really enjoyable to see him in a goofing off personality. Wish he had more technically, but the 3a is improved, so that's good. Love silly Adam, love Angel Boy Adam.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    There were many great performances at the 2013 US Natonals but, for me, none so delightfully refreshing -- and such a transformation -- as that of Adam Rippon's LP. I had to do a double-take; was this really Adam, the floaty cherub of year's past? Loved him before - love him even more now.

ADAM - HAT'S OFF TO YOU FOR YOUR PROGRESS AND TRANSFORMATION. YOU'RE MY CHAMP!
    I love Adam, period, in any shape, form, style. He skated "happy" yesterday..and really sold the program.

Thanks for starting this thread.

vCash
    I did not realize at first that it was Adam skating (I missed the start of his LP). First he reminded me of a young Viktor Petrenko in his carriage and lines. When he spoke after the skate, he reminded me of Brian Boitano. During the skate I did not recognize him with his short hair and a different kind of program. I felt that some of the 'joy' felt a bit forced (by the choreographer?). He has very natural grace, and classical lines, and I still feel that classical music is more suitable for him. However, if this change helps him get over whatever mental block he had before, it seems to have worked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    I love Adam, period, in any shape, form, style. He skated "happy" yesterday..and really sold the program.

I'm with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    He said in an interview that performing his Incredibles LP program at Nats was the FIRST TIME he'd really had fun with it. Which is great and not great. if he'd really had fun with it, hammed it up earlier in the season, he might have done better then and at Nats. It was really enjoyable to see him in a goofing off personality. Wish he had more technically, but the 3a is improved, so that's good. Love silly Adam, love Angel Boy Adam.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

I too love Angel Boy Adam, who's growing and transforming into fantastic young man Adam. Under Rafael's tutelage, Adam's learning how to further develop his talents, own who he is and express that ever more beautifully on the ice. I'd just point out though that taking on a new program that has a completely different style than a skater is used to is not a simple process. In Adam's case, he was also adjusting to the move to California under a new coach over the summer. It obviously must have taken several trial runs before Adam, his coach and Michael Siebert were able to re-tweak and fine-tune his programs. Plus it took awhile for Adam apparently to get comfortable with and more in tune with the character of his free skate music. I'm happy for him that he seemed so relaxed out there and enjoyed himself.

I love, love, love Adam's new costumes, especially his snazzy and jazzier-looking outfit for his free skate. Red looks good on Adam (brings to mind his sp costume from last year). Although I miss Adam's curls, I think his hair looked good in this newly modified straight style, which I like a lot better than the way it looked at the start of the season. Maybe next season Adam might bring his curls back (even if in a bit more tamed and shorter style). Gosh, Adam was so good in both programs. Such a fluke that problem in the short on his second jump on the 3/3 combo. I absolutely love his great new layback spin. It's superb! Few men have good laybacks, but this one for Adam is such a winner. To me, it's jaw-droppingly beautiful.

I echo thanks to Frau Muller for starting this thread. I was so very happy for Adam and I truly enjoyed seeing him skate both his short program and his free skate! For me, Adam was one of the bright spots in the men's event. From the standpoint of wonderful performances, I was also mesmerized by Wesley Campbell's lovely Ave Maria free skate, and as well by Alexander Johnson's great free skate. I think the men were inspired by the great skates of many of the ladies. I also want to say that I think Jeremy Abbott's wonderful skating and Ross Miner's medal-winning performances at NHK Trophy this season have been inspirational to a lot of skaters and to many people involved in the sport.

I have to admit that I'm transfixed by Tom Dickson's choreography and the way he and his wife are able to work with skaters to find the perfect music and the right moves for them to naturally express themselves from the inside out, while also incorporating the necessary technical stuff and transitions. Dickson's work skated to its highest potential seems so seamless and effortless. I'm in love with the work of Tom Dickson, Pasquale Camerlengo, Julie Marcotte and Shae Lynn Bourne. I respect all the choreographers who not only have such great creative and artistic skills, but also great passion for skating and for skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I.....he reminded me of Brian Boitano. During the skate I did not recognize him with his short hair and a different kind of program. I felt that some of the 'joy' felt a bit .....
    That's it, Vash01! It was like Brian Boitano, circa-1988...the little nods to the judges and flicks-of-writs totally reminded me of Boitano's 1988 Les Patineurs SP. Same mock-serious, yet impish, style. And what about Adam's open-armed gesture and funny face to his fans, after hearing his scores in Kiss n/ Cry?
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    That's it, Vash01! It was like Brian Boitano, circa-1988...the little nods to the judges and flicks-of-writs totally reminded me of Boitano's 1988 Les Patineurs SP. Same mock-serious, yet impish, style. And what about Adam's open-armed gesture and funny face to his fans, after hearing his scores in Kiss n/ Cry?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I did not realize at first that it was Adam skating (I missed the start of his LP). First he reminded me of a young Viktor Petrenko in his carriage and lines. When he spoke after the skate, he reminded me of Brian Boitano. During the skate I did not recognize him with his short hair and a different kind of program. I felt that some of the 'joy' felt a bit forced (by the choreographer?). He has very natural grace, and classical lines, and I still feel that classical music is more suitable for him. However, if this change helps him get over whatever mental block he had before, it seems to have worked.
    ITA, Vash01. At first look on the GP circuit, I wasn't impressed with Adam's new free skate. But it has obviously evolved over the course of the season. And as I said, Adam was likely adjusting to the cross-country move and his new coaching environment. In its current transformation, I think his free skate works very well and has been better packaged for Adam. Obviously Adam is a lot more comfortable with it too. He looks great in the new costume!

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...6WqD734HA&NR=1

Not a clear version, but wonderful to revisit. More great colors for Adam too. I have to say, Adam's programs from 2012 and 2013 U.S. Nationals are ones I will enjoy re-watching often, and will always remember fondly.

Way to bring it, AdaRipp! Good luck at 4CCs... Hope its a great send-off to another productive off-season for you, as you prepare for 2013 - 2014.

vCash
    I thought that LP was all kinds of flat and meh as the season began, it's been tweaked ovbiously but I guess what really made a difference was seeing a committed, even joyful, as opposed to anxious, performance of it.
    Hope he ends the season well at 4CC and can't wait to see what he'll come back with next year! Too bad about Worlds, but since quads seem to prime over everything else these days, it was unlikely I'd see any of my favourite US guys there!
    Touching the void.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I LOVED Adam's long program. He showed such great character in it. Wish he could have gotten to the podium, but am looking forward to seeing him at 4CCs.
    He had a tough time learning that choreography. I was there once when he and Michael were working on it. I personally LOVE LOVE LOVE it and think it's come a long way.

vCash
    Rafael has totally gained my respect as a coach because Adam's Axel is more than sufficient. Bravo Adam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

I have to admit that I'm transfixed by Tom Dickson's choreography and the way he and his wife are able to work with skaters to find the perfect music and the right moves for them to naturally express themselves from the inside out, while also incorporating the necessary technical stuff and transitions. Dickson's work skated to its highest potential seems so seamless and effortless. I'm in love with the work of Tom Dickson, Pasquale Camerlengo, Julie Marcotte and Shae Lynn Bourne. I respect all the choreographers who not only have such great creative and artistic skills, but also great passion for skating and for skaters.
    You werent implying that Adam has his programs done by any of these right?

I think that Marcotte's work with pairs is only second to Lori Nichol

vCash
    Did Adam completely ditch the Mad Men LP from early in the season for this new Incredible LP at Nationals? I thought the Incredibles LP had one too many cutesy moments that seemed awkward for a 20+ years old guy to be doing. I did like his SP. The final combo spin was nice; It didn't look like everyone else. Normally I'm not a fan of guy performing layback, but Adam's version of Kwan layback was very effective.

vCash
    He skated happy. And well, tremendously improved jumps, good chore, great coaching change apparently.

vCash
    Adam did seem improved. He still as a shot for Sochi. If he doesn't make it though, I think he'd be a nice pairs skater with those gorgeous spins and lines. I know he's not very tall but the twitter pictures show he's really buff and strong! With a tiny girl like Miller or Lam he could feasibly a good partner. Totally random, but I just thought if the 3a and quad don't ever become really consistent for him, it could be a way for him to continue without ending up disappointed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    You werent implying that Adam has his programs done by any of these right?

I think that Marcotte's work with pairs is only second to Lori Nichol
    No, I was referring to Tom Dickson's work with Ross, Alexander J, Jeremy, Matt S, and many other skaters, and to Pasquale's work with Adam last season and with many other skaters, and to Shae Lynn's work with Jeremy and with Adam last season, and to Marcotte's work with Takahashi/ Tran; Duhamel/ Radford; Castelli/ Shnapir; et al. BTW, Lea Ann Miller choreographed some wonderful pairs programs for Shen/ Zhao -- Obviously, my comments in that post went slightly OT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post

Me too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast