Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    vCash
    I don't know if we can compare his situation to Ye Bin because she was struggling and becoming unhappy. I hope Jeremy doesn't feel emotionally boxed into an Olympic season. I think he has been up and down enough that he probably views it as a great opportunity. He is so much older than Ye Bin was, and the self-awareness that comes with age can help one determine what the right path is for oneself.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 02-15-2013 at 10:33 AM.

vCash
    ^^ Oh, yes indeed, I agree, TheIronLady that Yebin's career in eligible skating has been completely different from Jeremy's. I believe she was injured and she had an eating disorder, and she was at the beginnings of a promising career, whereas Jeremy has had many competitive successes on the senior level. One thing they share in common is an indefinable expressiveness on the ice and a movement quality that transports audiences "to a different dimension." I remember enjoying watching Yebin when I first saw her compete in seniors but I never knew what happened to her, so it has been a wonderful revelation finding out the path she has taken away from and back to figure skating. The one constant for Yebin has apparently been the joy and desire "to make beautiful art" with her skating, a goal which for her had nothing at all to do with dreams of Olympic glory.

Thank you TheIronLady for expressing those thoughts about Jeremy. As a fan, I struggle with something similar: the idea that there is apparently little validation for skaters outside of going for and preferably attaining Olympic gold. But the history of Olympic figure skating should tell us something beyond all those Olympic victories deeply etched in our memories: that even those who win gold don't always skate their absolute best (Fleming, Hamilton, Yamaguchi, Witt, etc.), and that it is not a measure of a skater's worth or talent if they are favored to or have a chance to win gold and fall just short or far short (Browning, Kwan, Orser, Fratianne, Thomas, Babilonia & Gardner, Ito ... this one is a long list especially re athletes across many sports).

vCash
    Am way late weighing in on this topic because I haven't been here recently, but here are my two cents:

Jeremy is an amazing skater, and I am a fan. I don't know him personally nor do I know the extent of his injuries, but if Jeremy's trying to make one more run at the Olympics and/or Worlds, I would love to see him make a go of it with a really strong, experienced coach that has a track record. Not sure who, but I don't think Yuka and Jason are likely to help him get there. I think that a coaching change would be beneficial and his best shot; I do also think he is capable and has it in him.

I know Paul Wylie was mentioned here, but I also think of Maria Butyrskaya. Many people wrote her off because of her age, nerves, etc., and, in the end, she pulled it off. Same with Rudy Galindo.

Believe me, a great coach can make a big difference.

With that said, Jeremy will do what he feels is right for him, and even if he doesn't make another Olympic or World team, he should be proud of his great accomplishments in the sport thus far and of the fact that his skating has touched a lot of people. I wish him the very best.

vCash
    Last season was a coaching disaster- especially the whole change the quad idea that led to exacerbating an injury and the inappropriate spin that had to be changed at Nationals.

The music for the FS was Yuka's idea...not sure it was a good one.

In retrospect- he should have changed prior to this season.

Now it's too late.

vCash
    Heavens, aren't you full of encouragement!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    With that said, Jeremy will do what he feels is right for him, and even if he doesn't make another Olympic or World team, he should be proud of his great accomplishments in the sport thus far and of the fact that his skating has touched a lot of people. I wish him the very best.
    Wishing him all the best if Sochi is going to be his last shot to podium. He has the goods.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    At what point (and I'm sure I've said this before) do you start looking at the common factor? And the common factor here is: Jeremy. He's had a few different coaches now and nothing ever changes. It's too late now. There's a deep-rooted issue here that no number of coaching changes can fix.

Although the spin issue was unforgivable, that's just as much on Jeremy as it is on Yuka. I couldn't imagine being a skater of that level and NOT knowing the rules...

vCash
    I "love" all the posts which assume direct personal knowledge of Jeremy's life; and his psyche.
    UGH!

vCash
    Hmmm, after looking back at 2010 Olympics, ohhh, what might have been. In any case, what is, is that Jeremy started out great with a 3/3 skating second to last in the sp directly after 90.30 Evan (ugh), and then inexplicably Jeremy popped two planned triples into singles. That season Jeremy had one of the two best short programs ever (Dai had the other, and Dai was robbed of first place in the sp). The popping by Jeremy seems to happen in big moments out of nowhere. Of course, he's not the only skater to do that, but seemingly the one most adversely affected by the reflex. He placed 16th in the sp (Jere lost a lot of points with those pops -- but what about his artistry and his great choreo?). Overall, Jeremy pulled up to 9th which in that field wasn't horrible, aside from the fact how talented Jeremy is and the excellent programs he had, and also that he'd beaten the OGM winner a month prior at U.S. Nationals.

Jeremy is such a divine skater. It would be so incredible and magical if he could pull a Paul Wylie at the Olympics next season. No matter what, I'm going to try and just enjoy seeing Jeremy at WTT and I'm looking forward to seeing the new programs he comes up with next season.

As far as a coaching change, I think Jeremy has a strong bond with Yuka and he also seems comfortable training in Detroit, so at this point his changing coaches is doubtful. But, had Jeremy never left Colorado, it might have been interesting to see Jeremy working with Tom Dickson as his coach, especially since Dickson created great choreo for Jeremy when he had his break-out season. In any case, Dickson and Alex Johnson are working beautifully together these days.

One thing Jeremy might consider, is seeking out technical assistance and planning a CoP strategy. Another thing is just figuring it all out and breaking things down re what is not working. Enhance the positives and change what isn't working so well.

vCash
    Just my $.02.

Jeremy doesn't need a coaching change at age 28. He needs to decide he wants above all to win each and every time he goes out onto the ice. He needs a consuming desire to do so.

vCash
    He doesnt need a coaching change. Who would he go to, Tom Z. who is his former coach and is a horrible person who produces good but boring skaters. He is best where he is. Remember had he skated cleanly he would have easily won Nationals and gone to Worlds. Had he skated his best at Worlds given the level of skating this year he would have medalled and probably even won. He just needs to skate cleanly with a quad, nothing else.

vCash
    I think the issue has always been between his ears and now his body is starting to give out on him which is making the situation even dicier, and considering that, I don't think a coaching change will make a difference at this point. He's just a fragile soul and obviously has a nervous/anxiety-prone temperament that often interferes with his ability to perform up to his potential when it matters most. There are lots of nervous and anxious people in the world, I know I'm one of them, and "choking" has always been an issue. Good preparation, hard work, and counseling can help but on some level you just can't help or completely change they way you are wired.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Jeremy is such a divine skater. It would be so incredible and magical if he could pull a Paul Wylie at the Olympics next season.
    You mean you want him to land 5 triples and no combination harder than a 3toe2toe?

I think his problem is that he loves the sport but not competition. He needs to find a fire from within.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678