Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

vCash
    He needs to be feeling healthy enough to train the programs over and over without changes. He also needs quad help.

Didn't he work with someone on jumps in LA after the year of the boot problems? (or maybe I'm confusing him with someone else)

vCash
    There was a lot to be said about Sasha's work ethic, or at times lack there of. I don't think Jeremy tends to have that issue. I remember when he left Tom, he said something about "needing to hear it from someone else because he had become deaf to Tom." Also, I also remember hearing him talk about not wanting to remain being merely 1 of about 10 elite skaters in Tom's stable. When he first went to Yuka and Jason, he was their one and only elite skater. He seemed to flourish with that. Since Yuka/ Jason have expanded their stable, Jeremy commented that he gets much less time with Jason, which he also stated is disappointing to him. I think Mr. Nicks could be a good fit in that Ashley is his only other elite skater, he seems to teach very strong, consistent technique, does not accept excuses, but also knows when he needs to reign a skater in to prevent injury or allow a skater time to recover (see him pulling Jenni Meno out of 1998 Nationals, pullling Sasha out of 2001 Nationals, telling Wagner not to do 4CC this year, etc). I really think it could be a good fit. I bet Mills would also come up with some fantastic choreography for him.

vCash
    Coaching is not the problem with Jeremy. He's not a great competitor and only he can fix that and he knows it. Plus at 27 how much more can a coach do for him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Coaching is not the problem with Jeremy. He's not a great competitor and only he can fix that and he knows it. Plus at 27 how much more can a coach do for him?
    A lot of people said the same thing about Ashley. Look what the change to Mr. Nicks did for her. I don't think Jeremy's jump technique is all that solid. Look at the messing around they did with his quad this year changing the technique for a couple months only to change it back to what they had in the first place. You can't be confident in that which is inconsistent. Even with putting that aside, often times, people need a change in scenery to become refreshed and motivated again. I just don't think what is happening in Detroit is working for Jeremy anymore. Maybe Yuka and Jason are as nervous for him as he is before beginning his program in competition. That nervous energy would not be helpful. In all reality, they aren't that experienced as elite coaches. He was their first. Sometimes just hearing certain words or behaving in a certain way can make the athlete feel more relaxed and confident when taking the ice. This has certainly seemed to be the case with Ashley.

Part of being a coach is being able to teach someone HOW to be a great competitor. Look at Angela Nikodinov. She didn't finally learn how to compete until she got Elena Tcherkevskaya as her coach. Sometimes just clicking with the right person makes all the difference for someone's confidence in high pressure situations.
    Last edited by carriecmu0503; 02-10-2013 at 01:45 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    ... In terms of Adam, he's always looking for the newest "hot coach." ...
    I completely disagree with that assumption. Plus this thread is not about Adam, Sasha, Alissa, or Carolina.

All the speculators, second-guessers and advice givers ... please cease. Jeremy will do whatever he thinks is best for his life and his career. Meanwhile, why not just appreciate all that he's contributed to the sport.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-10-2013 at 01:47 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I completely disagree with that assumption. Plus this thread is not about Adam, Sasha, Alissa, or Carolina.

All the speculators, second-guessers and advice givers ... please cease. Jeremy will do whatever he thinks is best for his life and his career. Meanwhile, why not just appreciate all that he's contributed to the sport.
    This is the trash can. If people can't speculate here, where can they? I don't think there is anything wrong with pondering whether a coach change might do a skater good. While many do greatly appreciate what Jeremy has contributed to the sport (I sure do- he's one of my favorites ever), it's also very frustrating to watch him at times. Adam saw a very good reason to leave Yuka and Jason, and seems to be gradually improving. His 3A seems to be on track, and maybe the quad will be next. There is nothing wrong with speculating whether a coach change may help Jeremy, as well. Clearly we know he will do what is best for him and that this board has no influence whatsoever on his decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecmu0503 View Post
    ... Adam saw a very good reason to leave Yuka and Jason, and seems to be gradually improving...
    ^^ But once again, this thread is not about Adam. And Adam's decision to find a new coach last season was something amicably and mutually agreed upon between him, Yuka and Jason, as far as has been reported, and from all appearances. In any case, Adam's decision to move was a personal one, having nothing to do with a desire to find a "hot" coach. It seems to be a good move for Adam, as he definitely needed to focus on his jump technique. And obviously, Rafael seems to have turned out to be a good match for Adam all around. That doesn't mean that Adam didn't learn a great deal from Yuka and Jason, and from all appearances Adam's stay in Detroit was beneficial for him in many ways. For all we know, what Adam gained from Yuka and Jason may have prepared him to benefit from what Rafael has to offer.

And once again, as many have already opined, Jeremy has a great working relationship with Yuka. I don't doubt that Jeremy might benefit from some fresh advice of a technical and strategic nature, but that doesn't necessarily mean he needs to change coaches. Fans often criticize skaters for switching coaches, but then it's also the first suggestion/ speculation/ demand that gets spewed out by fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Wait...what?
    So it's not just me? I dont think they are...

vCash
    ?wait wait wait...back up and hold on... YUKA AND JASON DIVORCED? WTF?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ But once again, this thread is not about Adam.
    So we're not allowed to give other examples? Or we can but only ones you approve?
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    What qualifies you to make these pronouncements -- about anyone?

vCash
    Was wondering if he would come back to Colorado with Tom Z. or Kristy Krall and her magical dartfish. He 's from Colorado so that would make sense.
    For him, it's all about mastering the 4T and 3A. The rest is there. It's not working with his current coaching team.
    He has one year to get himself healthy and Olympic-shape ready. That is not impossible. He has some time off to heal and get his body stronger for the last push of his career.

vCash
    Abbott's 3A is fine - he landed all 3 with + GOE at Nationals.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Exactly. The 3A is one of his best jumps. Plus his entrance into it is so difficult.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    agreed

vCash
    There was a lot to be said about Sasha's work ethic, or at times lack there of. I don't think Jeremy tends to have that issue. I remember when he left Tom, he said something about "needing to hear it from someone else because he had become deaf to Tom." Also, I also remember hearing him talk about not wanting to remain being merely 1 of about 10 elite skaters in Tom's stable. When he first went to Yuka and Jason, he was their one and only elite skater. He seemed to flourish with that. Since Yuka/ Jason have expanded their stable, Jeremy commented that he gets much less time with Jason, which he also stated is disappointing to him. I think Mr. Nicks could be a good fit in that Ashley is his only other elite skater, he seems to teach very strong, consistent technique, does not accept excuses, but also knows when he needs to reign a skater in to prevent injury or allow a skater time to recover (see him pulling Jenni Meno out of 1998 Nationals, pullling Sasha out of 2001 Nationals, telling Wagner not to do 4CC this year, etc). I really think it could be a good fit. I bet Mills would also come up with some fantastic choreography for him.
    What? Who ever said Sasha did not work hard? What is your opinion based on?

vCash
    You mentioned John Nicks, carriecmu0503, but Mr. Nicks has already indicated that he's retiring after this season. And in recent years, he's reduced his coaching significantly. It was apparently Mr. Nicks' last and one of his best efforts re working with Ashley. They both seem to have thrived on the give and take of their coach-student relationship. Although this thread ain't about Ash, either, eh MacMadame.

Jeremy Abbott is a great skater, and I wish for him all that he desires to come true. I can't wait to see him on the ice again!

vCash
    You must be unaware that Mr. Nicks has openly talked about retiring after THIS season and only advising Ashley. He did leave the door open not too however it does not sound as if he's leaning to doing so.

Also, just curious about at what point it becomes CLEAR that its not the coaches...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    What? Who ever said Sasha did not work hard? What is your opinion based on?
    Here is a link to one article:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...n-robin-wagner

I also remember reading that often times, Sasha would spend her time practicing what she liked to do and was good at (spirals, spins- see her many exhibitions where she doesn't do nay jumps at all) rather than on working with her jumps. Many conversations of the sorts were had on the boards from 2002-2006. If I had unlimited time, I would look up more articles for you or find the old conversations, but I don't. I just think it's telling that both Tarasova and Wagner both said she didn't work hard enough. She definitely seemed to have the majority of her success when Nicks was running the show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Was wondering if he would come back to Colorado with Tom Z. or Kristy Krall and her magical dartfish. He 's from Colorado so that would make sense.
    For him, it's all about mastering the 4T and 3A. The rest is there. It's not working with his current coaching team.
    He has one year to get himself healthy and Olympic-shape ready. That is not impossible. He has some time off to heal and get his body stronger for the last push of his career.
    For someone where the primary problem is mental rather than technical, I'm not sure that's a great idea. CS is the training base of Patrick Chan, Max Aaron, Joshua Farris, Armin M., soon to be Jason Brown, and many others. If he left Tom Z in the first place because he didn't want to feel just one of a group, CS should be the last place he goes back to.

At this point you have to look at the common denominator here and that's Jeremy. Changing coaches will only do so much.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast