Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Title-less
    vCash
    I love Abbott for his choreography and his glide across the ice, but I must say Buttle was a master of cop, a reliable short program skater, and had sublime edges.

Eta for some reason Jeremy hasnt been able to maximize his values under cop esp with combos and spin levels the last 2-3 years, whether it is due to injury or lapse of focus I cant say
    Last edited by jlai; 02-03-2013 at 11:26 PM.

vCash
    I'm glad that these decisions are Jeremy's, rather than his detractors in this thread,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Many folks believe that an Olympic or World medal defines whether or not a skater has had a successful career. They're entitled to believe that; I don't.
    Word to that.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Even Jeff Buttle the skater who everybody thought was an eternal headcase artist won a medal or two as well as one world championship, why can't Abbott??
    I never thought Buttle was a head case. He wasn't the most consistent jumper, but that was in part because his programs were so busy with transitions and virtually nonstop footwork. He was also a master strategist who constructed programs to maximize points and gain judges' respect. Actually he had a great mental game and would change his routine as needed to avoid doing too many combination jumps, etc. Even when he made a mistake he would keep fighting to get back on track.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I'm glad that these decisions are Jeremy's, rather than his detractors in this thread,
    Yes some here sound bitter and not necessarily realistic about Abbott. In reality, Abbott does have the superior skating skills and integration of them with true artistry. I am not an expert on the 2014 men's field, but it seems like he has potential to factor in--if even just third best in the US--in 2014. He has an opportunity to have a come back during an Olympic year-- a year when his story would get publicity. Shouldn't he take it and perhaps add in a new coach? If he decided to retire to save his body and his money rather than try, I think he would regret it. The Olympics are the biggest deal in skating. I think he has some chance of making a Jamie Silverstein, Paul Wylie, or Chen Lu story.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 02-05-2013 at 01:11 AM.

vCash
    Paul Wylie's olympic story is not just going to happen to all headcases..that is what made his story so special..

I blame Yuka and Jason for adding two of the highest profile headcases to their roster of students in Jeremy and Alissa and then a 3rd in Rippon who thinks that switching coaches will cure him of his inability to really compete.... This is certainly not helping their reputation as top coaches in the near future

vCash
    Unfortunately I think Jeremy Abbott is approaching the same point in his career that Emanuel Sandhu was doing at the end of his competitive time as a skater. It's one thing to be missing the podium at Worlds or bombing at Nationals when you are 19 or 20 because you can come back from that and still have years left ahead of you. But Jeremy is not a young skater anymore - he's now well into his 20's and should be at his peak and already on the World podium and instead he is still struggling just to be in contention. Unfortunately you only get so many chances and I think the window for Jeremy to get to the 2014 Olympics or achieve his dream of being on the Olympic podium is getting smaller all the time. The other American men are beginning to surpass him. If he comes back one last time next season he will need for everything to go just right.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    The other American men are beginning to surpass him.
    They just finished 4th, 5th, and 9th at 4CC, so the surpassing hasn't happened yet. None of them are a complete package consistent skater either from what I see.

If he comes back one last time next season he will need for everything to go just right.
    I definitely agree with this statement. To make his case internationally as a possible Olympic medal hopeful/contender, Abbott needs to get off to a rock solid strong start next season if he is to have the comeback he dreams of! This means no more popping triples into doubles at numerous events. The most important thing for Jeremy though is to get healed and healthy, so that he can properly train and get the repetitions in on the jumps to build his muscle memory. He's been missing that component for a while now.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    They just finished 4th, 5th, and 9th at 4CC, so the surpassing hasn't happened yet. None of them are a complete package consistent skater either from what I see.
    The guys surpassed him at nationals--the only event where they met. Jeremy isn't at 4cc.

Perhaps Jeremy would pass the younger guys again next season; until then, the younger guys --who outskated him at nationals--get a shot at worlds.

I like Jeremy a lot, but no one is permanently better than some other skater. Kevin winning 4CC being proof. Of course, that also means Jeremy could surpass Max and Miner again.
    Last edited by jlai; 02-10-2013 at 07:55 AM.

vCash
    Jeremy is my favorite skater.

But, unless he can get his back healed, and get quads up and running in both programs (highly unlikely) , he's history.

It's a sad result of the Quad over everything else mentality since Evan's no-quad Olympic win. It isn't going to change. I think it makes Men's skating overall less watchable. 4CC was pretty pathetic in terms of men's choreo.

Too bad Jeremy can't retire early and spend a year helping the US men get some choreography has some impact. meaning, and performance value.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    Paul Wylie's olympic story is not just going to happen to all headcases..that is what made his story so special..
    He landed like 5 triples in the free skate. So it wasn't like he magically got rid of his demons. It really was more the case that the other competitors didn't skate well (Browning, Eldredge, Bowman, Urmanov, Barna)

vCash
    I hope that whatever happens, Jeremy is happy with his career. The past cant be changed. His future, given his injuries, capabilities and the fact the time is against him is not looking so fantastic. Still, taking a page from Eldridge's last olympic appearance, Jeremy should plan on going for broke choreographically and doing clean programs with all triples. Mao Asada took the axel out of her programs for a while and just kept cooking it in practice. Nabou Sato worked on the trick with her and placed it in the program when it was looking better and ready.

I think that Yuka and Jason should really look at their training program because after the Olympic cycle, they are going to be like Natalia and Gennadie without any major skaters. They have some top level skaters who havent done #$%& this year and with Adam perhaps seeing writing on the wall soon enough to bale. Jeremy needs to be planning with the thought of the end of his career as an Olympic eligible athlete drawing nigh. Train in the off season and compete in the fall with solid quad-less programs but train the quad in practice with limited repetitions and emphasis on doing them correctly. If the quad is not ready by the end of 2013, ditch it and skate your ASS off with clean performances with the elements he does do well. That way, he will still be competitive, he can rival the rest of the men and end his career with his head high.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post

I think that Yuka and Jason should really look at their training program because after the Olympic cycle, they are going to be like Natalia and Gennadie without any major skaters. They have some top level skaters who havent done #$%& this year and with Adam perhaps seeing writing on the wall soon enough to bale.
    I honestly wonder if Yuka and Jason will continue to coach together after the Olympic year considering their divorce. Who do they even have anymore beyond Alissa and Jeremy? I think Imai, Marchei, Bereswill and a few others? I know Jason has been dabbling in pairs coaching in Detroit, so perhaps he could go that route.

As for Jeremy, I think it depends what he wants out of his final competitive season. If he really is thinking Olympic medal (or even Olympic team, honestly) he needs new coaching right now. Jason and Yuka haven't been able to deal w/ his nerves and inconsistency for several seasons now, and you can't keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.

vCash
    I think the handwriting is on the wall for Abbott. The SB list has just been posted & Miner is 11th, Aaron is 13th & Dornbush is 14th. Jeremy is 18th. Nathan Chen is 21st & Josh Farris, 22nd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I honestly wonder if Yuka and Jason will continue to coach together after the Olympic year considering their divorce.
    Wait...what?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Wait...what?
    My reaction too.

I know there were some rumors about them splitting, but...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa
    ... You see a talent like that with the skills of an artist and pure skater and you want him to be the representation of what this sport truly rewards.

No truer words were spoken. Nothing to add, but

It is what it is. And, whatever Jeremy decides, I will always be a fan. I can't wait to see what he will be doing next on the ice. Jeremy's are the programs that I will be watching and re-watching from this and from past seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Wait...what?
    They've been splitsville since at least last summer, but are (obviously) continuing to coach together, at least for now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    No truer words were spoken. Nothing to add, but

It is what it is. And, whatever Jeremy decides, I will always be a fan. I can't wait to see what he will be doing next on the ice. Jeremy's are the programs that I will be watching and re-watching from this and from past seasons.
    How about this? We talk John Nicks into staying around for one more season, to finish the journey he started with Ashley Wagner. The team of Nicks/ Phillip Mills has done wonders for her technique and her confidence. I think this team just might be amazing for Jeremy. I bet USFS could even pull some strings to get them at the same two GP events (Skate American and TEB), in order to minimize travel for Mr. Nicks. I think Jeremy just needs a change of scenery at this point, and a solid, no nonsense, no excuses, technician as a coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I honestly wonder if Yuka and Jason will continue to coach together after the Olympic year considering their divorce. Who do they even have anymore beyond Alissa and Jeremy? I think Imai, Marchei, Bereswill and a few others? I know Jason has been dabbling in pairs coaching in Detroit, so perhaps he could go that route.

As for Jeremy, I think it depends what he wants out of his final competitive season. If he really is thinking Olympic medal (or even Olympic team, honestly) he needs new coaching right now. Jason and Yuka haven't been able to deal w/ his nerves and inconsistency for several seasons now, and you can't keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.
    Well I think Marchei is skating extremely well and Alissa DID improve. Here's my thing why is Jeremy's issues Yuka and Jason's fault? Last time I checked Jeremy had similar issues with his previous coach. Maybe a coaching change would do him some good, but coaches aren't miracle workers. In terms of Adam, he's always looking for the newest "hot coach."

And at this point I'm not exactly sure what any coach can do to fix the issues here. I suspect Jeremy's body is doing away with him as well.

Jeremy has had some brilliant skates in his career and I always remember that. I don't think the issue here is the quad either.

And as for Nicks, was he ever able to cure Sasha of her inconsistency issues? Why do we assume he'll be able to cure Jeremy. Although Sasha was way more trustworthy.

At the end of the day the ability to compete is just as much of a talent as anything else. You never want to write of a skater completely (look at Kostner) but not everyone figures it out...

In terms of Kostner, everyone was all like leave Hoth. She did and performed, poorly still, then went back to him and started winning. Some of this I think is the skater him/herself. They are the ones who do it on the ice.

Sometimes a change does you good, but I don't think the coaching is the issue here, Jeremy had tough no nonsense coach and was still just as inconsistent. Changes can be good but its not really fair to blame the coaches.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast