Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SAG Awards

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    If that's the case, then I wonder why critic circles either rewarded or nominated Hunt in the supporting category all season prior to the award nominations? It's not as if critics have a reason to put her in the supporting category when she's really a lead the way Academy members may.
    I'm that well versed in the ins and outs of the nomination processes ... but my understanding was that the studios and/or producers often "nominate the nominees" with pre-official-nomination campaigns -- and not just the films, but specific performances/achievements in specific categories. For Your Consideration if you will. Plus once the first big nomination list is out ... the others tend to take those categories as gospel.

And some critics' circles did nominate Hunt in the lead actress category: San Diego and London, for example.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Oscar-bait movies are frequently released in late December -- the big difference this year is that so many were released a month or so earlier. Plus there was a ton of pre-release press and buzz for Argo, Lincoln, Les Mis, and Life of Pi ... but absolutely none for ZDT. It's almost like the movie was kept as much a secret as the mission was!
    ZDT was not released in theatres until Jan. 11 or something. That's really late. In the meantime it was winning critical acclaim, raising my expectations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    ZDT was not released in theatres until Jan. 11 or something. That's really late. In the meantime it was winning critical acclaim, raising my expectations.
    It had a limited release in late December (in New York and LA I assume), otherwise it wouldn't have been eligible for this year's awards.

I do agree with Artemis that it didn't seem to have as much early buzz as some of the other contenders, but that changed pretty quickly as soon as it started screening for critics and they went gaga for it*. At the time it seemed like that would work to its advantage - just when the buzz for Argo and Lincoln had died down a bit, ZDT swoops in out of nowhere and starts winning everything in sight, effectively stealing their thunder. I think the controversy surrounding it had a lot more to do with the movie losing its favourite status than the release date.

*According to Metacritic, it's the best reviewed of the Best Picture nominees, with only Amour coming close.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I just don't get Silver Linings Playbook. I thought it was incredibly over-acted and truly unconvincing.
    I can't believe Silver Linings Playbook has a Best Picture Academy Award nomination. What a heap of pretentious rubbish, if you excuse my French! Every possible cliche is in this movie from the characters analyzing each other to death to that cheesy dance competition.

I actually don't think it is over-acted - the actors do their best with the lifeless and repetitive dialogue that can only be animated by shouting at the top of their voices. I enjoyed the performances of Robert de Niro and the lead guy, but Jennifer Lawrence, as usual, looked like the victim of a Botox attack that had frozen every muscle in her face. Incredible!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Jennifer deserved her nomination for Winters bone, and she deserves it here, but I don't agree with her win. IMO all the other nominated actresses were better than her. I also don't find SLP all that alluring. Good to see someone agree with me. It's a feel good movie, entertaining, but not necessarily great. I have a big issue with Bradley Cooper getting a best actor nomination for this.

It's entirely possible that the best director snub to Ben Afflec is winning him sympathy votes, but Argo really is a very good movie. I liked it more than Lincoln, which was meticulously done but rather bland. Argo had more excitement, suspense (even though we knew what really happened) than either Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, or SLP. IMO SLP was the most predictable movie of the nominated ones. It's a highly overrated movie, and Jennifer may be getting the benefit of that, plus of being young and beautiful. She is a really good actress, but like Gwyneth Paltrow she may win the Oscar too soon and for the wrong movie.
    When I got back to my Sister's after seeing Apollo 13 I was going on and on about how tense the re entry sequence was and my BiL goes, "Oh come on!! How could it be that tense. You knew they made it back safe and sound."

After he saw it, I got an apology for him. So I do know what you mean and really want to see "Argo" so badly. Will have to wait for the DVD though darn it!!

vCash
    Just watched "The Impossible" last night. IMHO Tom Holland (Lucas) carried the film. Why does Hollywood not notice child male actors when child females are always acknowledged? Yes Naomi was good, but this kid was amazeballs. Others opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    Just watched "The Impossible" last night. IMHO Tom Holland (Lucas) carried the film. Why does Hollywood not notice child male actors when child females are always acknowledged? Yes Naomi was good, but this kid was amazeballs. Others opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    I totally agree! Tom Holland was amazing and did carry the film. I thought Naomi was good, but expected more, and was just distracted watching Holland.
    I enjoyed the movie, but they started with the date and time, and it would have been nice to know the time that passed by the end of the movie.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

SAG Awards

Very interesting! I've never thought about it but it seems true. Young makes get very little recognition while the females are much more likely to receive praise. I wonder who the youngest male was ever nominated for an Oscar?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    The role in SLP (also haven't seen) just seems like another play on the stereotypical Manic Pixie Dream Girl. She's crazy, she's broken, she'll love you and save your life.
    My daughter IS a Manic Pixie Dream Girl ( ), unfortunately. She loves Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and was really looking forward to Silver Linings Playbook, but the movie turned out to be a real copout as far as the plot went. That said, I think Jennifer did a great job playing someone who probably has borderline personality disorder. She SHOULD have dead eyes in this role. I thought it was a dramatic difference from her role as Katniss in The Hunger Games, and I'm okay with her getting awards for the part, even though I though the movie was dreck.

Yay for Brian Cranston and Breaking Bad. I could not choose between him and Damian Lewis, so I'm happy that they are both winning this year.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Very interesting! I've never thought about it but it seems true. Young makes get very little recognition while the females are much more likely to receive praise. I wonder who the youngest male was ever nominated for an Oscar?
    The kid who played the son in Kramer vs. Kramer. He's still the youngest nominee ever, I think. He was 8 at the time.

Also, the kid from The Sixth Sense got nominated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    He wuzrobbed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    When I got back to my Sister's after seeing Apollo 13 I was going on and on about how tense the re entry sequence was and my BiL goes, "Oh come on!! How could it be that tense. You knew they made it back safe and sound."

After he saw it, I got an apology for him. So I do know what you mean and really want to see "Argo" so badly. Will have to wait for the DVD though darn it!!
    Great example! I knew the Apollo mission was in trouble but the movie outlined how it went from one life-threatening problem to another. I did not know how closely they came to loosing their lives. Regarding "Argo": I was certainly old enough to remember the six returning to the states. But I never thought about the folks who cared for them and the thought that the Iranians would execute them rather than throw them in with the other hostages. I don't know if their capture would have meant their death but the movie makes it appear that execution was a big possibility.

vCash
    downtown abby won for best group! YAY

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    The kid who played the son in Kramer vs. Kramer. He's still the youngest nominee ever, I think. He was 8 at the time.

Also, the kid from The Sixth Sense got nominated.
    Justin Henry was the kid from Kramer vs. Kramer (he also played Molly Ringwald's annoying younger brother in Sixteen Candles). Haley Joel Osment was 11 years old when he was nominated for The Sixth Sense. Both of those were for Best Supporting Actor.

The youngest male Best Actor Nominee was Jackie Cooper (9 years old) for the movie Skippy (released in 1931).

vCash
    ^ "Champ! Wake up Champ!" Different movie I know, but that's what I really remember of Jackie Cooper.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Justin Henry was the kid from Kramer vs. Kramer (he also played Molly Ringwald's annoying younger brother in Sixteen Candles). Haley Joel Osment was 11 years old when he was nominated for The Sixth Sense. Both of those were for Best Supporting Actor.

The youngest male Best Actor Nominee was Jackie Cooper (9 years old) for the movie Skippy (released in 1931).
    Mind blown! I never made that connection before!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123