Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Budapest, Prague, London, Stockholm.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Most of my faves have already been listed (Vienna, Prague, Paris, Barcelona, London) but I'd add Edinburgh, York, Liverpool, and Dublin.

And ever since the movie I've wanted to go to Bruges.

vCash
    London, Edinburgh, Dublin, Madrid, Granada, Rome, Salzburg......

vCash
    Munich- I loved it.
    Rome - So much to see!
    Geneva- Beautiful city

The ones I would like to visit- Vienna, Frankfurt, Warsaw, Budapest, Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Sochi (in Feb. 2014 )

vCash

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone; certainly looking into all of them!

Can I ask if anyone here has any experiences of Belgrade and the Baltics (Particularly Tallinn and Riga) please?

Keep 'em comin'!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i also like lisbon and cyprus (so small you will hit all the cities w/o trying), i pick my favorites based on the eating
    We would get along on a trip. I travel to eat, mostly.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    What's going on with Switzerland?
    There's a lot of beautiful sceneries, the Alps, very old cities & big museums.
    That's not a very touristic place in summer.

I just made this sugesstion because it's where I come from.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Tallinn is a fantastic city. There's wifi everywhere, so many people speak English, and beautifully, it's still affordable, it has a gorgeous, restored old city and beautiful parks, great food, terrific small opera and ballet companies, Hortus Musicus, if you like old music. It's very walkable, but has an extensive public transportation system, including a cheap city bus from the airport to the center of town. From Tallinn you can also take day or overnight trips to smaller cities (more like towns) in the countryside. (I had very good Indian food in a small restaurant in Parnu.)

You can also take a ferry to Helsinki from Tallinn. There may also still be a drunken overnight ferry to Stockholm from either Helsinki to Tallinn.

Barcelona is an incredible city.

Iceland is an incredible country, but it's more an accumulation of experiences, rather than x days in Reykjavic.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    My SIL and her family immigrated to Canada from Belgrade. I'll ask her about it.
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    My father is from Belgrade, and I have been a few times. It's nice and inexpensive compared to western Europe but has relatively little to see. The fortress of Kalemegdan is interesting and affords a nice view of the Danube and Sava rivers, and there is a nice cafe scene along Knez Mihailova. That's about it. The people are lovely, though, and the food is delicious (as long as you're not vegan...) Within the former Yugoslavia, I actually think Ljubljana had the most charm, plus the scenery in Slovenia and parts of Croatia is breathtaking.

vCash
    Venice. Venice. Venice.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Riga is also inexpensive. I was mesermerzied walking through the Old Town in addition to the modern part of Riga which has an area dominated by Art Nouveau buildings. If you do go there, eat at Lidos. Food is delicious and cooked in front of you. There are many stalls for you to choose from. I love the setting of this restaurant. Unfortunately, no photos are allowed. I also enjoyed walking through the Old Town of Krakow. Yummy pierogis from a mean old lady who wouldn't allow me to take pics. But I took them anyway right before I left. Forgot the name of the restaurant, but I know it is mentioned in Lonely Planet b/c that's how some tourists found the place.

vCash
    Of the larger cities I loved Vienna but actually preferred some of the smaller ones like Salzburg & Trier.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Vienna
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    London and Prague are my favorites. I hear Edinburgh is incredible- but I've never been.
    But what do you like to do?
    Culture? Hiking? Castles? Are you a North person or a South person?
    Bruges has been mentioned- it is indeed amazing, for a day or two.
    improving my ballad- like lines

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Corroborating what most have said here. If Berlin / Cologne are also going to be your temporary home bases, such that you'll be staying mostly with friends and then venturing off for 1, 2, or 3 days at a time, then depending on your budget, I'm guessing you'll probably be limited to places that are fairly close by with a rail pass and easy rail connection.

From Berlin, there's obviously Prague (4 hours away by train), Dresden (cathedral), Leipzig (Bach legacy), and Potsdam (Sans-Souci).

From Cologne, there are plenty of German destinations, the closest being Bonn. You're also really close to Maastricht, a lively Dutch university town that's influenced by its closeness to Belgian and German sister towns Liege and Aachen. Further afield in Belgium and the Netherlands, if you haven't already been (you said you'd already been to Amsterdam), there's also Leuven, Ghent, Antwerp, Brussels, Bruges, Utrecht, Rotterdam, and the Hague.

Further afield in Germany are Stuttgart, which is a longer haul but where you can visit the Daimler and Porsche factories, and of course Munich. A bit remote, however, is Rothenburg ob der Tauber, a quintessential rural Bavarian town near Wurzburg and Nuremburg that was unscathed by Allied bombing and, as such, has its quintessential German buildings and architecture intact.

vCash
    I'd add Lyon and the South of France (Avignon, Montpellier, Nimes) as possible "targets".
    Otherwise, I'd second Barcelona, Prague, Vienna and Salzburg!

vCash

Again, big thanks for all the suggestions! You guys have certainly turned my attention to cities I'd not really considered before Still n the process of "researching" so no final itinerary yet.

Was anyone at Euros last week OR anyone else been to Zagreb?

vCash
    Zagreb is okay. It's got a charming old town, and there are some interesting places for day trips, like Samobor, but the Dalmatian Coast (from Split to Dubrovnik) is much more interesting and deserves more time.

vCash
    Copenhagen (in the summer)
    Prague
    Florence

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast