Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    That's my point. Ashley needed to do that. Alissa needed to do that. Other people need just the opposite and will only get the most out of their skating with a strong family support system. If you look at successful skaters it really runs the gamut. Mirai's living situation has nothing to do with how much of a priority skating is, it's solely about her temperament and familial relations. Moving away from home does not make you more dedicated, nor does staying at home make you less so. You're either devoted or you're not and we cannot tell where her priorities are simply by where she chooses to live. Judging her based on that is really grasping at straws IMO.

In my experience outsiders never have the full picture when it comes to relationships within a family, so I feel uncomfortable speculating on that subject. YMMV of course. In terms of Mirai specifically, I'm guessing that if she felt it would have helped her skating to move in with the family Frank had arranged, she would have done so. The fact that it was arranged at all shows it was a legitimate consideration. I'm sure she had her reasons for not taking up the offer, but I don't think that choice really provides much insight into whether she's committed or not.
    I think many of us are concerned that Mirai isn't making the most out of opportunities she has. This is akin to a high school graduate choosing to go to a mid-tier state school when they get into Harvard. Usually it's extenuating financial or familial circumstances that cause them to make that decision, but on paper, it looks like they're throwing away a great opportunity. Many such kids are still quite successful, because work ethic and intelligence often don't care where you go to school, although they might have shut the door on certain fields for not going to the big-name Ivy League. If you really want to go into a certain field and choose not to go to a school which is renowned in that field, it may mean that they're sacrificing their chance for success there. This is what I think a lot of people believe is happening for Mirai. By eschewing going to a great coach that isn't local to the area, she may be missing out. But we (and she) may never know for sure, because there are a lot of factors when it comes to skating success.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    That's my point. Ashley needed to do that. Alissa needed to do that. Other people need just the opposite and will only get the most out of their skating with a strong family support system. If you look at successful skaters it really runs the gamut. Mirai's living situation has nothing to do with how much of a priority skating is, it's solely about her temperament and familial relations. Moving away from home does not make you more dedicated, nor does staying at home make you less so. You're either devoted or you're not and we cannot tell where her priorities are simply by where she chooses to live. Judging her based on that is really grasping at straws IMO.

In my experience outsiders never have the full picture when it comes to relationships within a family, so I feel uncomfortable speculating on that subject. YMMV of course. In terms of Mirai specifically, I'm guessing that if she felt it would have helped her skating to move in with the family Frank had arranged, she would have done so. The fact that it was arranged at all shows it was a legitimate consideration. I'm sure she had her reasons for not taking up the offer, but I don't think that choice really provides much insight into whether she's committed or not.
    Agreed. Seems like she was dedicated enough to find another coach and continue anyway. It's just unfortunate that she got sick at such a critical moment...I really think with a strong FS she had a shot at winning.

She seemed devastated afterwards (don't blame her)...I hope this doesn't discourage her. I still think she has a shot at another Olympic team...With Wagner showing vulnerability and Gold going through senior transition/growing pains, the door may be open. If a 3rd spot is available, even more so...but even then she must be on top of her game...the judges proved they'll put a mistake-ridden Zawadzki over her...

vCash
    Her mom was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and has undergone several operations. It's likely Mirai just wants to be at home with her family.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by change of edge View Post
    Her mom was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and has undergone several operations. It's likely Mirai just wants to be at home with her family.
    More than fair. Most people would agree that is more important than any results at a figure skating compeitition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    More than fair. Most people would agree that is more important than any results at a figure skating compeitition.
    Very true.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910