Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

vCash
    I think people are comparing her to other skaters and noticing a lack of...variation of expression in Mirai. She's falling into one-note territory where she's either perky or she's stone-faced. Maybe I should pay more attention to any nuances or subtleties on her musical interpretation, but I find that seems like Mirai equates mature expression to almost no expression.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think people are comparing her to other skaters and noticing a lack of...variation of expression in Mirai. She's falling into one-note territory where she's either perky or she's stone-faced. Maybe I should pay more attention to any nuances or subtleties on her musical interpretation, but I find that seems like Mirai equates mature expression to almost no expression.
    This. I don't mind Mirai doing "perky" if it means that she shows life in her skating. However, I don't think she necessarily has to do perky. Her exhibition this season was exquisite. So I think it's a matter of her and her choreographer picking a piece that is appropriate for her. I think Mirai doesn't want to become a one-note skater either but she and her choreographers haven't found the middle way between "perky" and somber yet.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Is there a chance that Mirai will be sent to the WTT?

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    Her exhibition this season was exquisite. So I think it's a matter of her and her choreographer picking a piece that is appropriate for her.
    I completely agree. That program was perfect, mature, graceful, "insert favorable word here"... While I thought the short program this year was OK, it was nothing that I could see winning a World medal. They even said that they were trying to rekindle something from the past which is not a good thing unless it is MK's Rachmaninoff program and I think even that was a slight mistake. The long program was not musical. I find it bizarre that her choregrapher told her that she had to keep the organs in because no one ever skates to them. Maybe there is a reason for that... Certain music translates better to audiences and I don't think she has had the right music or programs for the past two years.

I really hope she does have a fresh start next season with two world class programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by change of edge View Post
    I'm a bit confused when it comes to WTT invites. I thought it was World ranking but I think the federations get a say in who goes as well? If it's the federation, I doubt Mirai will get sent unless Ashley, Gracie, Agnes, and Christina all decline.

vCash
    Yeah I hope she'll get a chance. If they are going by international scores alone, Mirai still has the second highest international score this season, even after 4 Continents.

vCash
    A coaching change has been mentioned above. but, a couple of issues relating to that -

She had already been to a coach famous for teaching solid technique- FC. She had her moments when his instruction bore fruit on the ice (2010 Nats - 2010 Worlds SP). But, then there seemed to be a personality conflict that arose between the two, as well as her penchant to crack under pressure. Now, this doesn't disqualify her from searching out a famous, technical coach now, But she should probably only do so if she's achieved a certain level of maturity and gets her head together.

There is also the issue of family life. Past threads suggest she has close family ties and would need to stay somewhere very close to her parent's home. If that's true, that will severely limit her options.

vCash
    I'd like to see Mirai work with Christy Krall. Not necessarily as a primary coach but as a jump coach. Krall's students have great jumps and good technique; I think Mirai would benefit from that...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I'd like to see Mirai work with Christy Krall. Not necessarily as a primary coach but as a jump coach. Krall's students have great jumps and good technique; I think Mirai would benefit from that...
    A part-time coaching relationship might work. But since she already has Agnes, I wonder how that would work out.

But, I can't emphasize enough that it's really up to Mirai to let go of her insecurities and find a level of peace in her mind that allows her to be free and confident on the ice, even when the pressure is insurmountable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by change of edge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    I'm a bit confused when it comes to WTT invites. I thought it was World ranking but I think the federations get a say in who goes as well?
    World Team Trophy team selection usually is based on a top 10 finish at Worlds and/or ISU Worlds Standings rankings after Worlds (not Seasons Best scores), but the federations also take into account the competition readiness of a skater. Last spring, Mirai was not selected to WTT reportedly because she had not been training her programs during her coachless period. Here's the link to the 2013 World Team Trophy thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...11-14-in-Tokyo

ETA photos of a mischievous Mirai & her shorter hair : http://instagram.com/p/Vk6g51i5T1/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-15-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    A coaching change has been mentioned above. but, a couple of issues relating to that -

She had already been to a coach famous for teaching solid technique- FC. She had her moments when his instruction bore fruit on the ice (2010 Nats - 2010 Worlds SP). But, then there seemed to be a personality conflict that arose between the two, as well as her penchant to crack under pressure. Now, this doesn't disqualify her from searching out a famous, technical coach now, But she should probably only do so if she's achieved a certain level of maturity and gets her head together.

There is also the issue of family life. Past threads suggest she has close family ties and would need to stay somewhere very close to her parent's home. If that's true, that will severely limit her options.
    I agree. I think I read somewhere in these threads that Frank had found a host family for Mirai so she could still train with him but that her mother objected. That is concerning. If mother and daughter can't break ties then it would suggest to me that Mirai, as much as I love her, isn't willing to do whatever it takes to fight back to the top. She's only willing to do what she can as close to home as possible-and that might not be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    World Team Trophy team selection usually is based on a top 10 finish at Worlds and/or ISU Worlds Standings rankings after Worlds (not Seasons Best scores), but the federations also take into account the competition readiness of a skater. Last spring, Mirai was not selected to WTT reportedly because she had not been training her programs during her coachless period. Here's the link to the 2013 World Team Trophy thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...11-14-in-Tokyo

ETA photos of a mischievous Mirai & her shorter hair : http://instagram.com/p/Vk6g51i5T1/
    Thanks for the explanation on WTT selections! And thanks for the link to mischievous Mirai and her new do! I think it looks good. She's still smiling in spite of her result at Nationals so that's good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I think I read somewhere in these threads that Frank had found a host family for Mirai so she could still train with him but that her mother objected.
    I posted this response earlier in this thread:
    I believe this originated as hearsay info posted in the Golden Skate forum in February 2012 and was copied over here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=244
    I also mentioned it in this U.S. Ladies thread last year and there was some discussion here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3512678
    There also could be financial considerations to which we fans aren't privy.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I posted this response earlier in this thread:

There also could be financial considerations to which we fans aren't privy.
    Thanks again for clarifying! And it is true, there could indeed be financial considerations that we fans aren't aware of.

Mirai tweeted this:
    https://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu
    Mirai Nagasu ‏@mirai_nagasu
    Kyrie is inspiration.

I wonder which version of "Kyrie" she's listening too?

I hope she's inspired to keep fighting back to the top at Nationals and on to the Olympic team next year. I hope she has a great season next year and great programs.
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 02-18-2013 at 02:26 AM.

vCash
    I'm kind of annoyed by the notion that because Mirai didn't want to move away from her family she isn't committed enough. Some families are closer than others and it's no one's place to get involved in her family dynamics. Wasn't Mirai's mother sick for a while? Not everything is about money. There's nothing wrong with wanting to stay close. Plenty of skaters need that and I'm of the opinion that it's good and healthy to have a support system. Yu na's mother travelled with her everywhere, as did Karen Chan. Tessa Virtue lives with her mother. I think they're doing fine. Some people need to strike out on their own and be completely independent to have success but I'd never look down on someone who insists on being close to their family, especially someone as young as Mirai. It's a very personal thing that differs in every family.

Title-less
    vCash
    Generally speaking I think grown kids need to have their own lives some day, though I don't know if this should be the case for Mirai right now without knowing more.

vCash
    The thought may have occurred that Mirai's parents aren't the best influence. I hate to be the one to voice this, because I don't think it's true, but reading between the lines I think people who question her attachment to living at home may wonder if her parents are easy on her. Nobody would say this out loud because it's based on idle speculation and might be disrespectful. I have heard that Mrs Nagasu is very intense and does help Mirai to train well. This is just gossip though, but interesting gossip nonetheless. I think we all just want Mirai to do well.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 02-18-2013 at 05:50 AM.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    I'm kind of annoyed by the notion that because Mirai didn't want to move away from her family she isn't committed enough. Some families are closer than others and it's no one's place to get involved in her family dynamics. Wasn't Mirai's mother sick for a while? Not everything is about money. There's nothing wrong with wanting to stay close. Plenty of skaters need that and I'm of the opinion that it's good and healthy to have a support system. Yu na's mother travelled with her everywhere, as did Karen Chan. Tessa Virtue lives with her mother. I think they're doing fine. Some people need to strike out on their own and be completely independent to have success but I'd never look down on someone who insists on being close to their family, especially someone as young as Mirai. It's a very personal thing that differs in every family.
    Of course there's nothing "wrong" with it, or any decision that Mirai makes. (Unless she breaks the law, of course. ) It all depends on how much of a priority skating is for her. Family should absolutely be at the top, IMO, but many families make it work without being joined at the hip. Depends on the family, depends on her skating priorities. Ashley Wagner didn't have her breakthrough until she took sole responsibility for her skating and set off across the country on her own. Some are fine where they are, some need a boot in the ass.

Mirai owes us, nor skating, nothing - she does owe herself to do what she thinks is right, and do what makes her happy.

vCash
    ^ Wouldn't surprise me if true. In fact, that's the impression I get.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    The thought may have occurred that Mirai's parents aren't the best influence. I hate to be the one to voice this, because I don't think it's true, but reading between the lines I think people who question her attachment to living at home may wonder if her parents are easy on her. Nobody would say this out loud because it's based on idle speculation and might be disrespectful. I have heard that Mrs Nagasu is very intense and does help Mirai to train well. This is just gossip though, but interesting gossip nonetheless. I think we all just want Mirai to do well.
    The young people I know who are living at home aren't there by choice. They aren't thinking, "Man, it's nice that Mom cooks dinner and does the laundry and it would be oh so hard to move away even if I had a great job offer." IMO that's preposterous.

It's far more likely that there are other things going on at home that we don't know about, or that Mirai is unsure if the sacrifices of moving away will really pay off in her skating. Obligation and uncertainty is what keeps people home, not sheer laziness.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Of course there's nothing "wrong" with it, or any decision that Mirai makes. (Unless she breaks the law, of course. ) It all depends on how much of a priority skating is for her. Family should absolutely be at the top, IMO, but many families make it work without being joined at the hip. Depends on the family, depends on her skating priorities. Ashley Wagner didn't have her breakthrough until she took sole responsibility for her skating and set off across the country on her own. Some are fine where they are, some need a boot in the ass.

Mirai owes us, nor skating, nothing - she does owe herself to do what she thinks is right, and do what makes her happy.
    That's my point. Ashley needed to do that. Alissa needed to do that. Other people need just the opposite and will only get the most out of their skating with a strong family support system. If you look at successful skaters it really runs the gamut. Mirai's living situation has nothing to do with how much of a priority skating is, it's solely about her temperament and familial relations. Moving away from home does not make you more dedicated, nor does staying at home make you less so. You're either devoted or you're not and we cannot tell where her priorities are simply by where she chooses to live. Judging her based on that is really grasping at straws IMO.

In my experience outsiders never have the full picture when it comes to relationships within a family, so I feel uncomfortable speculating on that subject. YMMV of course. In terms of Mirai specifically, I'm guessing that if she felt it would have helped her skating to move in with the family Frank had arranged, she would have done so. The fact that it was arranged at all shows it was a legitimate consideration. I'm sure she had her reasons for not taking up the offer, but I don't think that choice really provides much insight into whether she's committed or not.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast