Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Thanks for your response to my query, Sasha'sSpins.

Amelie LaCoste's tweet of encouragement to Mirai (posted earlier in this thread) was very kind.

ETA:
    Or, if Amelie's tweet wasn't mentioned here, I must have read about it in another thread.

vCash
    IMO Mirai's major problem (under-rotations aside) is that she HASthat fabulous It factor.....that indescribable bit you can't teach and you can't learn. You either have it or you don't. You know, the one you can't keep your eyes off.
    Call it showmanship, natural spark, the ability to completely own and fill up the ice by standing still. She just doesn't use it. Makes her seem rather like she would prefer to be somewhere else.

When she uses it, her skating is sublime, impossible to ignore. But the ice did not light up during either of her skates.

And when her light is dim it is noticed. Because we know how fabulous she can be when she turns it on, we feel let down and disappointed when she doesn't.

I think she gets scrutinized on those jumps is that she hasn't fixed them.

I think maybe it is time to go off to college. Unless something drastic happens, she has a pretty long list of people to get past: Ashley, Agnes, Courtney, Gracie....and if the skate g-ds are kind, Alissa.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I completely agree with your suggestions for the USA fed.

What did you like about Hicks? I thought her free skate was the most boring she has done in a while and wouldn't get noticed if we weren't desperately looking at her great jumps. Too bad there's no effective expression. I think she won't get much better. Ashley improved in this area, but she was being packaged poorly. Remember when Ashley used to barrel toward us and try 3-3s. She needed someone like Nicks who focused her effort on the whole picture. Courtney seems about as good as she's going to get at the beautiful part of skating. This is just my opinion, but I don't see edges, the arms, or anything good happening with the music.
    Just curious, but why do you say she is a good as she will get at the beautiful part of skating?
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    ^^ Yes, good point because I recall that Angela Nikidinov was a very accomplished skater who aside from her textbook layback spin positions and good jump technique never really grabbed my attention or my heart. That changed however after Angela bonded with coach Elena Tcherkasskaia who guided Angela to find the sublime artistry she possessed within, and the courage to express herself more fully on the ice.

It might be helpful for Courtney if someone encouraged her to slow down a bit and stop rushing everything. She does seem to have a dynamic personality and a lively spirit to go along with her impressive jumps. A big drawback for me in watching Courtney is that she could have been skating to anything. The music seemed to be trying to catch up with her throughout the entire program, but she left it in the dust, or more accurately, ignored it.

vCash
    ^^Courtney's skating definitely bugs me...she has as much grace as a tank. Her jumps scrape the rafters and that's a great thing, but she often looks unstable and a little all-over-the-place when she skates. She's clunky, very unrefined and not an aesthetically pleasing skater to watch (bad lines and lack of extension).

But all she needs is someone who will rein her in and slow her down, smooth out her movements and teach her to really listen to the music. She doesn't have to be a pwetty pwincess type skater but a bulldozer type skater won't work either. She's made a wonderful comeback given where she was this time last year and to place 4th in her first senior nationals is a great thing. The judges obviously like her (which is crucial in US figure skating now) so as long as she improves she'll be fine.

As for Mirai, I think she just had bad luck. If anyone listened to her at the SP press conference you could tell how sick she was. They actually had to let her take questions first so she could get off of the stage b/c she was coughing during everyone's questions. That kind of congestion messes with your breathing and zaps your energy. She was able to fight through for the SP but I knew the FS would be an issue.

I think if she'd been healthy she would have skated much better. It's sad the judges didn't bother to help her out the way they helped nearly everyone else at the top that night. Given Mirai's skate I figured she may come in 3rd or 4th...but to knock her all the way down to 7th? If the judging had been fair and even that night, I could have accepted those scores without question. However, when I look at the way the judges maneuvered Gracie and Ashley to the top by padding their scores I get really upset. Why didn't they extend the same courtesy to Mirai?

She had a strong season on the GP, posted the highest international score of any of the other ladies (sans Ashley) and it was clear she was on the upswing, as evident by that amazing SP she turned in. Why not give her the opportunity to keep going? Because the USFSA has their eyes on their two main candidates for promotion for 2014 and Mirai is nowhere on that list...

vCash
    re: Hicks

And she is still somewhat coached by Nicks. If he can't fix her feet, I don't think anyone else can.

vCash
    re: Nagasu

Is there another international which she can be sent to in a month or two to show her worth? She has worked too hard to end her season like this. And with her placement at Nationals she is going to be on the fence again re: GP assignments next season.

Having said that, when was her flu supposed to be? She looked great in the run through feed and in the short program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    re: Hicks

And she is still somewhat coached by Nicks. If he can't fix her feet, I don't think anyone else can.
    Hicks has switched to Jere Michael and Alex Chang - they coach the very elegant junior Amanda Gelb.

I hope Nagasu will appreciate the improvements she made this year and continue her progress into next season. She is currently #10 on the Seasons Best total scores list, so should be able to get 1 GP assignment next season based on the current selection rules.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Having said that, when was her flu supposed to be? She looked great in the run through feed and in the short program.
    She coughed her way through the entire press conference after the short and sounded congested. It's possible that was the early stage and she was in the 'getting sick' phase of the flu. I'm not sure which flu strain she had, but the one going around my office drains you of energy to the point where people logged in from home are sometimes told to take a day off since they're not being all that productive. I can't even imagine what trying to do triple jumps would be like if she had the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    ITA that Mirai's best program was her Pirates program.

I really, really hate to say this, because I feel like it's crummy, but I think leaving Frank Carroll really hurt her, politically speaking. It's hard, because she seems to have a great relationship with Amy and Wendy, but I feel like leaving Frank was a "bad thing" in USFS' book. Stupid, because she seems a lot happier and freer now.
    Yep, Frank still has a lot of influence with the judges.....

vCash
    if the U.S gets that 3rd spot back she can fight for a spot on the Olympic team behind the shoo ins Wagner and Gold, although Agnes is a shoo in for that other spot then if she is half decent at Nationals next year. Otherwise see ya later kid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Hicks has switched to Jere Michael and Alex Chang - they coach the very elegant junior Amanda Gelb.

I hope Nagasu will appreciate the improvements she made this year and continue her progress into next season. She is currently #10 on the Seasons Best total scores list, so should be able to get 1 GP assignment next season based on the current selection rules.
    Thanks re: Hicks. I swear I read that she still takes from Nicks once a week.

Re: Nagasu, given this season's craziness with her nearly not having a second GP assignment, I was hoping she would place high enough to have two. And she deserves to end her season with some confidence. This is the second season in a roll she is ending her season at Nationals and it can't be good for confidence, especially since she was known tto have self esteem issues.

vCash
    I am so sad for her right now.
    I wish her well.

vCash
    Is there another international which she can be sent to in a month or two to show her worth?
    Yes there are still some small events with senior competitions. There is also the World Team Trophy in April. Has the USFS announced the skaters for that yet?

If she was as sick as it sounds, maybe she should have withdrawn after the SP. It would have made it a lot easier for the USFS to give her some help standing 2nd after the SP. As it is now, based on final placements, it would be hard to pass over so many other skaters.

vCash
    Thanks re: Hicks. I swear I read that she still takes from Nicks once a week.
    Marco, I've copied over and replied to your question in the general U.S. Ladies thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3820595

Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Yes there are still some small events with senior competitions. There is also the World Team Trophy in April. Has the USFS announced the skaters for that yet?
    USFS usually waits until after Worlds to name the WTT team. USFS' spring assignments are primarily for developmental purposes (to give a first international experience to JGP-eligible skaters next season). Abbott and Czisny were sent to Challenge Cup in The Hague as a pre-Worlds warmup last year but that was unusual.

It showed guts for Nagasu to have competed her FS and I admire her for doing it.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Any updates on Mirai yet? Totally gutted for her, 3 years in a row now... is it time to hang up her boots once and for all? I really hope not

Yet how can the lack of funding and obvious federation disinterest (& even biases) would surely sap anyone's spirit. This is a cruel cruel sport, never mind what she brought great honour to the US ladies during the Olympics. I felt like having such a weird withdraw syndromes right now. The double dumping of Mirai and Jeremy is too much for me emotionally. Poor Caroline. Liza in 3rd from Europeans is not helping. Sigh...!!

vCash
    Nagasu received Team B envelope funding this season and will remain in Team B next season due to her medaling at NHK Trophy.

vCash
    Nagasu received Team B envelope funding this season and will remain in Team B next season due to her medaling at NHK Trophy.
    Thanks Sylvia, is this an upgrade or down grade from her last year's funding?

vCash
    Well that's good. Better than nothing at all.

vCash
    Whoever picked that music for Mirai's LP must have been smokin' something. Please give her something energetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Aside from the obviously underrotated jumps, the program had no energy at all. I was sad to see someone who can have such captivating presentation basically just go through the motions while skating to (IMO) heavy music. Not the best program choice or choreography.

Placement was rough, but fair.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast