Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamcan View Post

ITA....2 footed a ton of jumps in that program.
    There was only one two foot that program if I remember correctly...

Anyways, does anyone else think the 1 point deduction for the "fall" on the flip was warranted? I don't think that should have been counted as a fall. Sasha did something very similar at the 2006 Olympics and she didn't get a deduction for it. Some of the downgrades also were harsh. I don't think the triple toe on the 2A-3T should have been given a <. But it really did seem she just didn't have the stamina to keep on going in that program.

vCash
    I thought Grace looked a little first timerish. She went out and got the job done! Awesome stuff and a focused individual, especially being in the top flight at your first Sr Nationals eh? lol . Once she gets some assignments under her belt she'll be comfortable enough to project I'd think.

vCash
    I think step 1 for Mirai should be to not have the flu. Then it will be easier to judge where she is really at in her career.

vCash
    I really think Mirai was on the right track this season, she was getting a little better with every competition, and it's a damn shame that the flu had to hit her at this time. She just didn't have the energy to get those jumps around last night. I so hope this doesn't discourage her from continuing if she still loves to skate and compete.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    There was only one two foot that program if I remember correctly...

Anyways, does anyone else think the 1 point deduction for the "fall" on the flip was warranted? I don't think that should have been counted as a fall. Sasha did something very similar at the 2006 Olympics and she didn't get a deduction for it. Some of the downgrades also were harsh. I don't think the triple toe on the 2A-3T should have been given a <. But it really did seem she just didn't have the stamina to keep on going in that program.
    YES! I agree with all of this. I am sure that the one 3Lo was UR and the other worthy of <<, but the 2A+3T was squeaky clean (looked the same as it did at NHK and she got full credit for it there) and the 2nd 3F did not warrant UR.

vCash
    I have a question. Would withdrawing have been a better option for Mirai? Her placement was one of many disappointments for me at this competition. Was competing even worth this particular heartbreak?

ETA: I haven't read the thread yet so I apologize if this has been mentioned already.
    Last edited by FiveRinger; 01-28-2013 at 12:45 AM.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    I have a question. Would withdrawing have been a better option for Mirai? Her placement was one if many disappointments for me at this competition. Was competing even worth this particular heartbreak?
    I thought about this too. When people say "flu" it can mean a number of things, ranging from a mild cold symptoms (stuffy nose, sore throat, what's known as common cold) to full on fever, body aches and raking cough. Where was Mirai on this continuum? If she had the real flu with fever, muscle soreness and general misery, WD would have been a good idea. But I don't know how she felt.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Perhaps this time it was simply the fact that she had the flu that really affected her.
    I hope so, because she was probably my favorite US lady in 2010 and I think she did have very appealing presentation then. If she can start skating well enough to get her confidence back, then I think the performance quality should return.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I thought about this too. When people say "flu" it can mean a number of things, ranging from a mild cold symptoms (stuffy nose, sore throat, what's known as common cold) to full on fever, body aches and raking cough. Where was Mirai on this continuum? If she had the real flu with fever, muscle soreness and general misery, WD would have been a good idea. But I don't know how she felt.
    I think she was really out of it...she was skating through the motions. There's even a point in the program where's she going into her 2nd 3F and you see her teeter and wobble even though she's just gliding forward. Ugh.

vCash
    Why do skaters always seem to be sick anyway? It's always something. Don't they get flu shots and take vitamin C and wash their hands regularly to minimize germs?
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post
    YES! I agree with all of this. I am sure that the one 3Lo was UR and the other worthy of <<, but the 2A+3T was squeaky clean (looked the same as it did at NHK and she got full credit for it there) and the 2nd 3F did not warrant UR.
    It doesn't matter at all what it looked like to you with a naked eye.

The fact that I haven't been to Australia doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

If the under-rotation is more than 1/4, then a jump receives <, it's as simple as that.

It's an objective and measurable assessment and there's no conspiracy there. Technical panels always give the skaters the benefit of doubt and never apply those deductions unless they are absolutely sure that the underrotation was over 1/4.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I think they now use an advanced computer program to compute the rotations as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post
    When Mirai finished her free skate tonight, I was truly happy for her. Besides the step out on the triple flip, I thought everything was clean, and I was thinking she would score somewhere in the 120-125 range. When I saw 109 on my TV screen, I screamed and almost lost it. I had my heart in my mouth .
    I'm right there with you.

And I only saw her skate the 1 time, but my recollection is that she stepped out and put a hand down. I was surprised to see she was deducted for a fall.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Some thoughts on this bizarre Nationals:

Courtney Hicks really stood out to me with big, high, light, jumps and decent artistry. Don't see why only Gold's jumps are so touted, Courtney's are just as good, if not better. Hicks put out two solid, exciting programs that in my estimation were ignored in favor of Gold. Of course Hicks does not have the Gold team PR machine that churns out propaganda relentlessly.... Gao also put out two very consistent solid skates that the judges tossed aside in their haste to move up Gold.

Why even have a Short program with COP? Short program results didn't matter in the end. The judges greatly padded Gold's short and long program scores. Anyone who thinks she wuz robbed needs to get their head examined. She skated a lousy short and a decent long. Does that a national champion make? She had absolutely no pressure in the Long and that's when she skates better. Also, Gracie didn't look very gracious, pouting when she realized she hadn't won the whole shebang. She should have been so grateful for the gift she had just been given by the judges......

Gracie would have maybe moved up to 6th or 7th under 6.0 with those programs.

Why even hold Nationals? Judges just pick their faves, as they did anyway, and save these skater's a lot of time and their parent's money.......

Sickening how Scott H. was gushing over Gold all week, and a fluff piece before you've achieved anything in Seniors? Nauseating. Maybe the judges felt the need to justify the fluff piece? So wrong.

USA Today describes her as a "fearless newcomer"?! She looked like a deer in headlights in the short, and not much better in the long! Talk about spin!
    ^^^THIS! Whole post!

I thought the Jenny Kirk/Aunt Joyce/Timothy Goebbel video was a hoot! I agreed with many of their points regarding placements and scoring but not some others - for example I don't agree that Ashley would have been a perennial pewter medallist skating against Kwan, Cohen, etc. not that Ashley isn't an artist. She's grown by leaps and bounds performance-wise. I did think many of Dave's comments were hysterical and I loved the math analogy.

I get it with Tim. He didn't have much to offer beyond jumps so he can relate.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    No, she really didn't. Gracie's facial expressions need a lot of work, but at least she had some.
    She had none until after she landed her jumps. After that she had a weird on again/off again smile plastered on her face. And I say again-she did not project, she did not perform, and that marching bit in her choreo looked ridiculous. It did not belong in a senior program. Still-she did deserve to win the FS based on those 7 jumps if Ashley was going to win the title overall with 2 falls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    OT but some fans on twitter are really letting US Figure Skating have it regarding Mirai!
    What are they saying? Are they tweeting directly to USFS?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Why do skaters always seem to be sick anyway? It's always something. Don't they get flu shots and take vitamin C and wash their hands regularly to minimize germs?
    I'm sure they do. But they are traveling a great deal, training hard (and often at altitude), and competing in a winter sport. Even people with flu shots get sometimes sick in the winter, with colds, if nothing else.

I am sure that, track-and-field athletes, for example, get sick in the winter too, but you don't hear about it so much because their peak competitive season is in the spring and summer.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Flu shots are hardly a guarantee. Stress is known to reduce the immune system's function.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Well, Mirai didn't go into detail but she did say she had the flu on twitter and apparently she was coughing so much at the SP press conference and maybe not feeling 100% that she was moved ahead of Agnes as far as taking questions so that she could leave early-which she did. I think it was all just bad timing. To me she was really on the upswing, getting a little better with each competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    What are they saying? Are they tweeting directly to USFS?
    I don't know for sure if it's going directly to USFS but their handle on twitter is "US Figure Skating" and it appears to be their official account. Just alot of angry rants about Mirai's scores, scores in general and placements. Don't know if they're still up though.

ETA: I checked and some remarks still seem to be on the site.
    https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating

USFS re-tweeted one of Mirai's tweets:
    Mirai Nagasu ‏@mirai_nagasu
    So grateful to everyone who supported me last night thank you.
    Retweeted by U.S. Figure Skating

Aw.

A few 'annoyed about Mirai and/or the scores/placements in general' responses to a couple of USFS's tweets from two nights ago:

U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating
    We'll be back tomorrow for the men's free and the Smucker's Skating Spectacular! #Omaha2013

Kim ‏@kimber1235
    @USFigureSkating You overscored everyone but Mirai

mark w ‏@memd92
    @USFigureSkating Ok great but try to make it look like a real sport this time.

Amanda ‏@Amandamb719
    @USFigureSkating today's ladies judging was a bit odd

Melissa Wisdom ‏@divinem1
    @kimber1235 @USFigureSkating I agree and do feel that Mirai's scores were unreasonably low.

USFS tweet:

Yesterday it was @GraceEGold...Who will provide today's #Moment? #Omaha2013

Janiece ‏@feelingamazing
    @USFigureSkating me

mark w ‏@memd92
    @USFigureSkating Gee, I wonder who the judges will screw over today? #Omaha2013

And a yet another chipper tweet from USFS:

Hopefully watching the skating tonight makes you want to learn to skate yourself! Visit http://www.usfsa.org and find a club!

J.j. ‏@realdetective
    @USFigureSkating certain girls who skated tonight don't seem to think so

Antoinette Aubert ‏@SkateyFan
    @USFigureSkating watching skating tonight makes me want to throw away my skates and resign from my club

mark w ‏@memd92
    @USFigureSkating You can not be serious with this tweet. Your sport is a fraud!

Jon ‏@JKepko
    @USFigureSkating Nope, it makes me think all of the competitions are rigged. Tonight did not clean up the image of figure skating.

Miko ‏@MikoFabulous
    @USFigureSkating Apparently a sport that rigs competitions, unfairly penalizes contestants and decides the winners! No thanks!

There were more but you get the general idea.
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 01-28-2013 at 07:02 AM.

vCash
    I really liked Courtney Hicks skating; also impressed by other young ladies (Gao, Siraj, Cesario, Wang, etc.). I saw Wang skate live at the nationals last year. Gao has been around, and should have scored better. The results did appear rigged - from the way the skaters were scored. USFSA should stop this farce and either judge objectively, or do what some other feds do- don't pick the world team from the results of the US nationals alone. Intentionally marking a certain skater high and/or a certain skater low just confirms for non-fans that FS is not really a sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I really liked Courtney Hicks skating; also impressed by other young ladies (Gao, Siraj, Cesario, Wang, etc.). I saw Wang skate live at the nationals last year. Gao has been around, and should have scored better. The results did appear rigged - from the way the skaters were scored. USFSA should stop this farce and either judge objectively, or do what some other feds do- don't pick the world team from the results of the US nationals alone. Intentionally marking a certain skater high and/or a certain skater low just confirms for non-fans that FS is not really a sport.
    I completely agree with your suggestions for the USA fed.

What did you like about Hicks? I thought her free skate was the most boring she has done in a while and wouldn't get noticed if we weren't desperately looking at her great jumps. Too bad there's no effective expression. I think she won't get much better. Ashley improved in this area, but she was being packaged poorly. Remember when Ashley used to barrel toward us and try 3-3s. She needed someone like Nicks who focused her effort on the whole picture. Courtney seems about as good as she's going to get at the beautiful part of skating. This is just my opinion, but I don't see edges, the arms, or anything good happening with the music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    You can't make such a serious accusation if you don't have anything to back it up with.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast