Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Re. my post #138 above - "Fitness Training With The "Best of the Best!" via NASAtelevision's YT channel (41 mins): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJvz10pvhiM

Re-posting from the U.S. Ladies news thread:
    I heard that Rachael Flatt skated short and long programs in a Colorado club competition last weekend, scoring around 56 in her SP (landed 3F+2T, 3Lo, 2A) but don't have any other details.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    In his interview with Jenny, Tom said she was mounting a comeback. As I understand it, she has a long and a short ready, so it seems she will make the attempt. I wish she had gone ahead and medically addressed her discs problem during her lay off. She has said though she will not do that until she is finished competing. She hasn't had it done, so I would say it looks like its "go" for now. How anyone can do as much as she does is amazing. I wonder if she will ever get burn out.

vCash
    ^I'm neither a fan nor a detractor of Flatt and I don't think she's got a snowball's chance in hell of making any team, but I look forward to her coming back for her own gratification and just because she will just make the competition more interesting. She hasn't been gone from competition only a year - I think her last competition was '12 SA, but withdrew from Ice Challenge in November?

vCash
    I guess I'm a little puzzled as to why she would be trying to mount a comeback. She accomplished a great deal during the best years of her eligible career. And on top of that, seems to be thriving in her undergraduate life at Stanford. I suppose there's something to be said about having "no regrets" and all that, but I honestly thought she had moved on from skating competitively.

That said, that girl has some guts and determination - so I wish her well and would never underestimate her.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Article titled "Olympic Figure Skating Star Dons Scrubs at Memorial": http://www.memorialinsider.org/olymp...orial-surgeon/
    Excerpt:
    Last year, she had bad tendonitis in both ankles and a stress fracture in the tibia. She has taken some time off from skating, but decided a couple of months ago to resume training.

Flatt is spending the summer interning at the U.S. Olympic Training Center, where she shadows doctors, physical therapists, and massage therapists. Memorial is the Official Hospital of the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

Ideally, she’d like to work in a sports medicine facility, she said, perhaps in Colorado Springs.

“Being in sports for so long and seeing so many injuries, it’s something that I’ve always been incredibly passionate about, especially getting athletes back to their peak physical form before they go out and compete,’’ Flatt said.

Flatt will return to Stanford at the end of the month. Upon graduation, she will attend medical school.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Article titled "Olympic Figure Skating Star Dons Scrubs at Memorial": http://www.memorialinsider.org/olymp...orial-surgeon/
    Excerpt:
    In the context of returning to training, I find the article a little confusing. It's not clear what she's training for: I assume she is training with Tom Z until the end of August, then she will continue training with her team in San Jose to get ready for Regionals???

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Rachael's Bio on IN has been updated with her self-choreographed program music:

Rachael Flatt (currently listed in ISP): http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...=100068&mode=I
    SP Music: "Adagio for Strings" by Samuel Barber
    FS Music: "Piano Concerto No. 2" by Sergei Rachmaninov
    Choreographer: Rachael Flatt
    Coaches: Justin Dillon, Lynn Smith
    College: Stanford University (2015)

Briber of judges
    vCash
    I love "Adagio" (even a chopped up version for skating). I fondly remember Matt Savoie's "Adagio" SP.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Uhhhhh.....so she's choreographing herself?

vCash
    Every skater should be required to choreograph his/her program imo.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    If I had no chance of making the Olympic team, I would wait another year to come back when it's not so competitive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Uhhhhh.....so she's choreographing herself?
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    She has no GP so I'm assuming she'll do regionals or something and then show up at nationals?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    If Flatt's goal is to qualify for Nationals, she would need to place top 4 at Regionals in October and then top 4 at Sectionals in November.

I've read many positive comments this summer about Rachael's self-choreographed "Clair de Lune" show number (wish there was a video on YT).

vCash
    If Flatt's goal is to qualify for Nationals, she would need to place top 4 at Regionals in October and then top 4 at Sectionals in November.

I've read many positive comments this summer about Rachael's self-choreographed "Clair de Lune" show number (wish there was a video on YT).
    yay! mix them up rachael!

vCash
    I've been waiting and waiting for the video since the show.
    "You'll find that life is still worthwhile. If you'll just Smile."  --by john turner and geoffrey parsons

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    If I had no chance of making the Olympic team, I would wait another year to come back when it's not so competitive.
    If she's in good skating shape and wants to compete, why not now? Nationals in an Olympic year is always a very exciting, crazy time with a lot of attention, so maybe she wants to be a part of it.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Wow. This is very unexpected. Rachel is showing that she is learning so much during her time at Stanford. She is doing well in school, apparently, and appears to be learning more about skating, i.e. choreography, and she is, what? 21? She will graduate in 2015. She continues to exhibit scholar-athlete behavior.

So interesting! I look forward to seeing her progress simply out of interest on how well she will do.

In comparison, she is "coming back" after a couple of years of lackluster and injured skating and not competing last year, while Alissa Czizny is also coming back after a season of not competing due to what is usually a career-ending labrum injury.

I think Rachel has more potential to do well than Alissa because Rachel did not have the hip damage that Alissa had twice in the last 18 months.

So interesting, and while I was never a Rachel enthusiast, I am looking forward to seeing her own efforts and the changes in her skating and maturity as a woman.

Brava for the efforts reported.

vCash
    Well, I'm excited for Rachael to come back. She is a very bright young lady, so I am guessing that she understands how competitive or not she will be with the top ladies. The fact that she intends to compete tells me one of two things-- she either believes that she can be competitive for the Olympic team, or she wants to come back on her own terms for the love of skating. Either way, I think it's a winning situation. Like all of the other competitors, I will wish her the best of luck, and enjoy watching her try.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Well, I'm excited for Rachael to come back. She is a very bright young lady, so I am guessing that she understands how competitive or not she will be with the top ladies. The fact that she intends to compete tells me one of two things-- she either believes that she can be competitive for the Olympic team, or she wants to come back on her own terms for the love of skating. Either way, I think it's a winning situation. Like all of the other competitors, I will wish her the best of luck, and enjoy watching her try.
    I just hope she will be in better shape then last season at SA. She didn't even look like she belonged with the rest of the skaters.

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast