Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

vCash
    New interview: http://athletego.com/2013/06/11/rachaelflatt/
    Excerpts:
    AG: An athletic injury does have a silver lining and allows one to be exposed to activities that they would normally not be exposed too. Any interesting adventures?

Rachael: Let’s just say I’ve been to the sports med clinic WAAAY too many times now! You get exposed to a lot of new technology and advancements in the medical field when getting treated for injuries because being an athlete today means that you really do not have time to get injured. At the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs (where I used to train and will be interning there this summer), they have a lot of top-notch equipment to get injured athletes back to the top of their game as quickly as possible. Since I’ve been off the ice, I decided to make use of my time at school between being one of the junior class presidents for next year, volunteering quite a bit, and dancing in one of the contemporary dance groups (Jaimie Goodwin, who was on So You Think You Can Dance a few years back, did choreography for us earlier this year and that experience was so amazing and inspiring). I also shadowed some orthopedic surgeons at the Palo Alto VA for a quarter, and I may have found my calling in medicine!
    Rachael: One of the things that has always been a part of my life is giving back to the community in any way that I can, which is something that my family and I value immensely. That means doing lots of benefit shows for numerous organizations that raise funds for cancer research or provide support to athletes on the rise, ...
    Flatt is scheduled to perform in 3 benefit shows that I know of:
    Skate for Hope on June 15 in Columbus, OH: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...-Columbus-Ohio
    Skate for Coach Darin Hosier on July 13 near Seattle, WA: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...h-Darin-Hosier
    Evening on Ice on July 20 in El Segundo, CA: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...-Segundo-Calif
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks for the update on Rachael. I appreciate how she is willing to skate in shows that raise money for cancer research and to benefit skaters. I've seen her twice at Skate for Hope in Columbus and have enjoyed her programs and interaction with all of the skaters - elite or not. Good for her, I hope she has found her calling!

vCash
    I think she is coming back and will show us her new moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlPP2uJs9HM

vCash
    Super athlete, super smart and super nice - Rachael seems to be an all-around great person. I've always enjoyed her skating and I hope she does return.

vCash
    Could you imagine if rachael was skating like she was when she won nationals. She could medal at olympics

vCash
    Her interview gives many hints that contradict any hope (if anyone has any) that she might come back. I would enjoy seeing her skate at Nationals. I am amused by her ability to stay oblivious to the harsh criticism of cutthroat skating, but I respect this as well. She does not fail or give up. She has a mental steadiness, and she has pushed in the direction of being competitive whatever her limits (artistic or otherwise). No one can take away that she never left any scene with her tail between her legs, and her sensible approach to competing should be studied by coaches.

I heard from someone last week that Stanford is not the best place for undergraduates and that you are treated like a number unless you are a grad student. Of course this was a Princeton alum who shared this opinion. He also attended Stanford for grad school, but I am certain there are other opinions. Rachael seems to be very excited with her situation, and it's interesting that she is continuing with dance.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 06-15-2013 at 06:11 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post
    Thanks for the update on Rachael. I appreciate how she is willing to skate in shows that raise money for cancer research and to benefit skaters. Good for her, I hope she has found her calling!
    I'm glad that she is giving back to the community this way & is staying involved in skating as she continues her college education.

vCash
    Yay for Rachael for being well-adjusted and sounding genuinely excited about the next phase in her life. It's great that she's able to come up with something else to do with her life after skating (because we can all name a few who couldn't easily adjust to the non-skating world).

vCash
    I'm curious. Who do we know who adjusted very poorly to the non-skating life?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I'm curious. Who do we know who adjusted very poorly to the non-skating life?
    Nicole Bobeck? (somehow being a meth dealer/user/whatever seems a poor path IMHO) Oksana Baiul? (who seems to have been reduced to suing her past promoters for money)

Those come to mind quickly

vCash
    Tony Wheeler's report was posted in the Skate for Hope thread:

Rachael Flatt skated a fun number to 'Catch My Breath' performed live by Columbus resident Jenny Alu. Even though she has decided to focus on college, Rachael still easily managed a double Axel and triple loop here and there is always such freedom and happiness in her skating.
    Wheeeeee!

vCash
    Good for her!

vCash
    I wish Rachael success and happiness in whatever she chooses to do.
    She won't be the first skating champion to become a doctor/researcher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Nicole Bobeck? (somehow being a meth dealer/user/whatever seems a poor path IMHO) Oksana Baiul? (who seems to have been reduced to suing her past promoters for money)

Those come to mind quickly
    Yeah, those two, but I was also thinking of Fumie Suguri types who don't seem comfortable with a life outside of the skating world. Is it easy? No. But I applaud skaters who are able to lead productive lives outside of their skating (yes, this is 99% of them, but some of the non-adjusters are really visible). And I think very few would want to go out the way Rachael has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I wish Rachael success and happiness in whatever she chooses to do.
    She won't be the first skating champion to become a doctor/researcher.
    In addition to taking on student gov't at school (part of group elected to Jr Class President)....

Found this video from Stanford....assuming this was filmed sometime last year during Flatt's 2nd yr at Stanford.
    https://undergrad.stanford.edu/progr...s-rachel-flatt

vCash
    Why do they have a group president?

vCash
    Maybe at Stanford there is too much for a single person to handle.

vCash
    This event is today: http://www.nasa.gov/connect/hangout.html
    https://plus.google.com/app/basic/ev...vsoa2ucm6unqug
    How do Astronauts stay in shape for long-duration missions in a weightless environment? Learn this and how elite athletes staying fit in a special Google+ Hangout Wednesday, July 17.

NASA Astronaut Mike Hopkins will be joined by 2010 U.S. Olympic Team figure skater Rachael Flatt and bobsledder Curt Tomasevicz, CrossFit Games Champion Rich Froning, Jr., and Houston Texans player Jared Crick for the discussion, which can be seen live on NASA's Google+ page or on NASA Television.

Peter Moore of Men's Health magazine, Sam Kass, Executive Director of the White House's Let's Move! campaign and Mark Guilliams, Hopkin’s lead strength coach, will also participate.

Join the live event at 3 p.m. CT. To participate and have your questions answered during the hangout, use #askNASA.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Between the athletic aspect and the scientific aspect, sounds perfect for Rachael!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Sounds fun! it's nice that Rachael seems to be fully embracing her college experience, while still using her skating experience for some interesting and worthwhile experiences including some benefit skating shows.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast