Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
    Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    Her time as a top contender? Does that mean her time as a favorite Skater?
    She probably doesn't have the motivation or really the desire to keep skating at a competitive level. She rather focus her energy on her education and other endeavors, such as being an Envoy for the U.S. State Department. I'm happy she's going to be an envoy. I wonder if Michelle Kwan had something to do with it. They tweeted nice things to each other after Nationals.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    She probably doesn't have the motivation or really the desire to keep skating at a competitive level. She rather focus her energy on her education and other endeavors, such as being an Envoy for the U.S. State Department. I'm happy she's going to be an envoy. I wonder if Michelle Kwan had something to do with it. They tweeted nice things to each other after Nationals.
    I believe the major defining factor for Flatt's decision to retire is based upon the cumulative effects of years worth of injuries, going back to 2006/2007 when she first injured her back (bulging discs),reported chronic tendinitis since 2010 NHK Trophy (can't imagine the frustration level of not being able to solve that problem....not sure why USFS has not done more to help solve that problem as it is pandemic in the sport, esp amoungst the women). In the interview she did with the local Colorado reporter during US nationals! she laughed off....

"Her ankles and knees ache, she sometimes struggles to walk on her battered feet. Her back? "Oh, it's gone". "

"I'm a grandma right now......One of the grandmas. I shouldn't be feeling this old."

I think this speaks volumes as to Flatt's passion for the sport, but also her determination to skate away from the competitive side of the sport on her own terms. She has never hidden the fact that she has always seen herself as a student athlete, not as a "professional" skater' for lack of a better way to phrase it. Only sorry she could not have regained her health, esp in the last few years, particularly when she demonstrated more comfort with the performance or artistic side of skating.

vCash
    [QUOTE=B.Cooper;4139319]I believe the major defining factor for Flatt's decision to retire is based upon the cumulative effects of years worth of injuries, going back to 2006/2007 when she first injured her back (bulging discs),reported chronic tendinitis since 2010 NHK Trophy (can't imagine the frustration level of not being able to solve that problem....not sure why USFS has not done more to help solve that problem as it is pandemic in the sport, esp amoungst the women).

Maybe cuz USFS doesn't give a cr(*&p about injuries, because there's always someone "waiting in the wings". These girls are treated like racehorses.

vCash
    Don't know if this has been posted before, does date from last year, but this article with photo might give fans an idea of what Dr. Flatt: Medicine Skater might look like: http://www.memorialinsider.org/olymp...morial-surgeon Click onto the picture for a better view.

vCash
    U.S. State Department press release from 2/10

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2014/02/221515.htm

"In conjunction with the 2014 Winter Olympics, the U.S. Department of State announces a figure skating Sports Envoy program, February 15–18 in St. Petersburg, Russia, featuring reigning Olympic champion Evan Lysacek and 2010 Winter Olympian Rachael Flatt. Sports exchanges are a key component of the U.S.–Russia Bilateral Presidential Commission’s efforts to strengthen relationships between the people of the United States and Russia......"

Blergh
    vCash
    Michelle Kwan is seriously helping figure skating in the U.S. in an avenue I didn't think was available until now.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    She does not have a double chin.
    I agree. Whatever you want to call this http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/R...VIieUu6Ivl.jpg it is hardly a double chin. Like Elizaveta Tuktamysheva , she just has a round face.
    Last edited by Jot the Dot Dot; 02-18-2014 at 10:56 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Michelle Kwan is seriously helping figure skating in the U.S. in an avenue I didn't think was available until now.
    Seriously. It's impressive that Rachel is managing to parlay a lukewarm figure skating career into this!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THB View Post
    Seriously. It's impressive that Rachel is managing to parlay a lukewarm figure skating career into this!
    What does that mean?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    What does that mean?
    I assume it means that it's not surprising to see champions like Evan and Michelle in such jobs, but it is surprising to see a skater like Rachel who never even got close to a world or oly podium in this type of pr job.

vCash
    B. Cooper, love your post (sorry still unable to quote on here). You summed it up so eloquently, yes, the injuries have taken their toll on Rachael. If it wasn't for that I'm sure she would still be competing. Alas her back is shot and so are her knees and ankles along with that darn recurring tendonitis. Yes, she had a relatively short career, being only 21 yrs. old when she retired this year, but it's quality that counts, not quantity. And during that short time she managed to become Jr. World Champion, Sr. National Champion, 3-time Sr. World Member, and an Olympian with a respectable 7th place finish.

Now she's following in Michelle Kwan's footsteps as a US State Department Envoy whilst going to school to become a doctor, not to mention doing charity skates on the side. That's one remarkable young lady!

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930